Another loose dog incident at an event. Time to ban dogs?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Two loose dogs, joined briefly by a third one, chased a competitor on the XC in an Intermediate section at Richmond Horse Trials last Friday.

https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/new...ntry-by-loose-dogs-in-terrifying-video-724593

One of the dogs was keeping pace with, and at one time overtaking, the horse on the course. The dogs belonged to a another competitor who was walking the course. The horse was stopped on course while the dogs were retrieved, but went on to finish and get a place.

The event organiser relates how that over the three days, she asked 10 or so more people to put their dogs on leads or get them under control, as well as stewards having to ask people as well.

The ‘I must bring my doggies everywhere with me‘ brigade gets very hot under the collar about this, but IMHO it is time to bring in a blanket ban on dogs at equine events. There was such a uproar earlier on this year at the proposal that dogs be banned at BE events during Covid restrictions that it was not enforced :rolleyes:.

It‘s all good having dogs at events until it isn’t. The dogs’ owner was mortified and very contrite, but it should never have been able to happen.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I have a dog and could never imagine letting her off leash at an event. She is well trained and has a fantastic recall, but the thought would never cross my mind.

I generally don't mix dogs and horses. I bring my dog to the yard (allowed) every once in awhile since she plays quite well with one of the YO's dogs, but I wouldn't be offend at all if the YO banned dogs. Same goes for events.

Equi

Visit site
The third dog was on a lead but got away due to the excitement I assume. Let’s face it the majority of country dogs are generally terrier or working based and will chase if let. It’s not something that is likely to effect me as I don’t event or have a dog but I’d not be opposed to a ban as long as it also went as far as to say no leaving dogs in your car/lorry alone all day.

honetpot

Visit site
I can imagine competitors should be thinking about the cost of kennels if this happens, a small dog costs £15-16 a day, and then you have for collecting and dropping off. Everyone thinks thier dog is perfect, I had a lurcher and you could not trust one second to bog off given the smallest gap so had to be on the lead at all times even in the lorry.

TPO

Visit site
No one ever thinks it will be them or their dog until it is.

Sure it's a minority that get onto course and chase horses but that could have fatal consequences. Could you be charged with some form of manslaughter if that happened?

Aside from the "headline" behaviour of chasing horses there are usually relatively minor incidences elsewhere with dogs getting loose, being in the way or excrement.

I understand that it's a "countryside" pursuit and that's horses and dogs are intertwined but I dont think the risks are worth it. If things keep on like this its only a matter of time until there is a very serious incident.

Even at events like Blair and Badminton it's annoying getting tangled in leads and what not plus it cant be very pleasant for the majority of the dogs.

Winters100

Visit site
I never take my dogs to any horse activities, but I do feel that a blanket ban is harsh. I would fully support high fines for any dog off the leash even for a moment, along with the offender being asked to leave - I would assume that a fine of a few hundred pounds would make most irresponsible owners think twice!

TPO

Visit site
The thing is that its not just the dogs of irresponsible that get loose.

One of the three in this article apparently slipped its collar, the one I'm thinking of at Blair still had its extendable (part of the danger) attached.

Accidents happen even to the most conscientious of dog owners/handlers. I personally dont think the risk is worth it regardless if it's a local BE80 or Badminton 5*

Dogs don't "need" to be there and their being there does cause problems so...

Leandy

Visit site
As always it would be better to enforce the existing rules better rather than have a blanket ban which punishes those who are perfectly responsible. Particularly where the culprit is another competitor, an immediate ban on competing at that event should do it. Spectators are harder to police but again, immediately requiring them to leave the ground would be a good sanction. A fine would be hard to extract I think.

Fools Motto

Visit site
I'm a firm believer that dogs should be banned from events. Loose dogs seem to happen time and time again, and surely it is only a matter of time before a horse spooks and unseats rider, or gets entangled in a lead.. and then this is where people will question why hasn't a ban been issued?!
I'm a dog lover btw.
London 2012 was so peaceful (and clean!) without dogs there at Greenwich.

my bfg

Visit site
Think at some point it will have to come to a complete ban. A loose dog on the track is a danger to the horse, rider and to the dog itself. It's unfair to the horse and unfair to the rider, both of whom have put in a lot of hard work to get to the point of competing in such high profile events, only to risk being injured or losing time on their course
Also I wouldn't personally take a dog into the crowded shopping areas, I've heard a few dogs cry out when they've been stepped on and seen a few that have over heated. I get that for many folks an event is often part of a trip away, a few events I've been to have had day kennels set up on site to ensure dogs are looked after while their owners are attending, if I didnt want to use the kennels then bringing a dog is not a risk I would take x

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
why should everyone be tarred with the same brush. this latest incident had the owners 2 dogs off lead while walking the course, while she was very apologetic she should have been immediately banned from the event and BE could extend the ban to other events if they felt it necessary. a large fine would be good as well.. if i take mine to an event i put a harness on him to make sure he is secure although if possible i leave both dogs at home with someone to let them out as required..much easier but not always possible

Visit site
Your never going to be able to put a full on ban any time soon but a hefty fine and instant dismissal from the event for any dog found off the lead should sort some people out.

I personally would love to see a full ban on dogs at all equine events. I've been chased a few times at showing shows with various ponies and it's really not fun! I've caught some when stewarding and judging and it's not fair on other competitors.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I’ve fence judged at BE events and some people have no respect. They’ll duck under the tapes and wonder down the course and let their dogs off the lead to cool off in the water whilst there are competitors on the course. You can blow your whistle until blue in the face for all the notice they’ll take. One TA told me he saw a small dog’s head torn completely off when a horse galloped into it’s extendable lead.