Another lorry question?

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Assuming traffic and weather conditions are OK, what would be the highest speed you would drive a 3.5t renault master with 1 pony in on motorways. Most of my journeys are local on B roads and quite short so never even thought about speed before. Im thinking from the ponies perspective, do they travel any better at a slightly higher speed or do they find it challenging. Journey is 120 miles

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
on a motorway I would drive my little box as fast as I could do safely to keep journey times down. in practice that meant we just about overtook the artics as it was a bit elderly so speeding not an issue :D
On a straight road with no issues of stopping and starting I don't think it makes any difference to the horse whether you go faster.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Driving to conditions comes 1st.
If decent weather and vehicles progressing then I'll sit at a steady 60 if it's safe to do so on a motorway.
Currently you'll need to take winds, rain and standing water into consideration.
Hope the trip goes uneventfully x

oldie48

Visit site
60 on the motorway is my cruising speed providing road and weather conditions allow, I am very careful coming off the motorway though and try to make sure the horses isn't taken by surprise in the change of direction otherwise it's easy to have a horse losing balance as they are so relaxed.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
To add, they travel best at a steady speed (what is comfortable for the vehicle).
Once you leave the motorway then go more steady till they find their sea legs again with turns and stops for junctions etc.

Same thoughts oldie! Yes, I will go more slowly on leaving motorway than I usually might otherwise too x

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
yes we have some really sharp turns off the motorways locally, my exit off the motorway on way to horpital is a particularly nasty one o_O

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Obviously you must drive to suit the weather & road conditions. Speed in its self isn't a big issue, it's the acceleration & braking that causes problems for the horse/s you are carrying. You need to drive smoothly, change gear smoothly, brake smoothly & accelerate smoothly. Look well ahead & prepare for the road conditions ahead. After all you want your horse to be comfortable when he arrives at your derstinationm.

AFB

Visit site
I think we can only get to about 55, so that! (Assuming conditions allow and you feel you have safe braking ability)

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Thank you all. Mine will sit happily at 70!!! so sticking to around 60 will be perfect, obviously allowing for extra smooth decelerating and gear changes. We didnt go last weekend as the forecast was so awful so hoping for better luck on Saturday. I dont think we are forecast anything too awful and were heading from Bucks to Shropshire, its nearly all motorway on A roads I believe

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
When driving a horsebox you rarely travel the most direct route, you tend to drive mainly on good straight roads rather than the bendy B roads. You do everything to ensure your horse has a comfortable ride. If you have any doubts stand in the horse area & get someone to drive normally & you'll see how you get thrown around

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
If you have any doubts stand in the horse area & get someone to drive normally & you'll see how you get thrown around
This should be compulsory for all prospective horsebox/trailer drivers! My friend and I travelled in the trailer with the horses as her dad towed us to pony club with his tractor (probably illegal even then in the early 70s) o_O. Very illuminating though, and I still tow now with that experience in mind.