Another question about blind horses!

Parkranger

Visit site
Just wondering how you value a horse that is blind in one eye?

Would they be worth just meat money even though they could still do most things?

I'm guessing that you'd only pay a low cost for such a horse especially if it had no proven form/breeding etc but could jump and hacked well?

any ideas appreciated!

cariadssogreat

Visit site
Well, its a tricky one. Having owned a mare that was blind in one eye. I paid £125 for her - although that was 12 years ago!
If the animal has the ability and temperament I think that is the main thing, although I guess you wont get anymore than 50% of the usual market value. I would really like to think that they would be worth more than meat money.
Is it one that you have for sale yourself? Or are you looking to buy?

Parkranger

Visit site
someone I know has found out that she purchased a blind horse - even though he passed the vetting! Obviously been that way for a while as she deals with it well but certain things make sense now (ie spooking when you catch her in the field on her blind side, jumping if you approach her from the blind side without her knowing you're there).

She's looking to take action against the dealer and the vet who passed the horse on a 5 stage.....yes, you read that right, she passed a 5 stage vetting not that long ago!

scrat

Visit site
Not sure about value as our mare will never be sold. However there were possible insurance implications. Although in our case the surgery was not done under an insurance claim we informed the current insurers that she had her eye removed. The reason being that we thought if anything happened out hacking for instance, and they could blame her blindness, it was better to be up front with them. The insurance company were fine but they did have to check with the underwriters that it was ok to continue with liability cover. We just had to asure them that her temprement had not changed and therefore she was no greater risk. I hope this doesn't worry you it's just another thing to check.

Weezy

Visit site
Ohhh Vics that is a tricky one and TBH I have no idea at all
crazy.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
Cairo is not effected by having one eye. Over the years he has competed succesfully at everything low level - he is a Clydesdale so his limitations have been his breed rather than one eye. We have a nice box of rosettes to show off.

I have no problems hacking etc. He is not at all spooky but he does trust his rider 100%.

At local showing his eye doesn't seem to bother the judges that much.

You may get some discount, but a one eyed horse is certainly not meat money and if it performs well at jumping etc, then there is no reason why they should be much cheaper as lack of eye is not causing problems.

The only thing I take into account with Mr C is that when hacking I prefer to keep the horses on the eye side.

His english saddles needs a little more padding one side, but not his Western. He has slightly different muscle on one side but again never had any problems. When lunging on his blind side I do speak to him so he can judge where I am, but unless you noticed the eye missing, you would not realise he is half blind.

I would not hesitate to have a one eyed horse unless I wanted to do serious showing.