Another reason to boycott Baileys...

stormox

Visit site
I havent seen the video, but agree side reins are too short, and cob far too fat.
But these people win! And thats what sponsors want - winners.
I think its the judges who should be blamed- they are putting the obese overbent ones to the top of the line, and any sponsored rider is going to try and keep their sponsors happy by trying to be the one at the top.

eahotson

Visit site
Earlier today, Lynn Russell posted a deeply unpleasant video of this horse tied down into an unnatural and forced head carriage, before deleting it when it attracted some negative attention.

This isn't the first time Bailey's Horse Feeds' sponsorship of LR has been called into question - there was a lot of social media discontent when her grey cob, Jovian, won at HOYS in 2017. The issue of obese horses in the show ring is an ongoing issue, which exists at all levels in the showing world, perpetuated by the actions of feed companies offering sponsorship to the worst offenders.

View attachment 38262
good God.

windand rain

Visit site
That is appalling I show all mine from babies and have never used side reins at all if they are on the bit it is because they have been ridden properly. Young and old that ride my ponies are taught to ride forward into all transitions up and down. Obesity is another thing and although I dont judge anymore the fat ones always went down the line when I did. I dont use Baileys either

Mule

Visit site
Mine has that length of rein thing too. Sidereins can look quite tight in halt (not nearly as tight as in that photo) and then once he moves off they magically loosen. They even look looser in walk not just trot. Why is that?

I think most people would lunge with looser side reins though. I accept that often when standing still the length of rein that is BHS-correct for trot work can look a bit on the short side, but I can't see what productive work could be done by screwing the horse down that short.

(eta before accusations of BHS bashing, I was taught to lunge under this system and it was drummed in that you should release the side reins asap on stopping).

Last edited:

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
How the hell can a horse move correctly with its head tied down? It’s actually really disappointing for a so called professional (who must clearly believe the hype) to train her horses in such an outdated and and patently obvious abusive way. I understand that all professionals (&amateurs!) want results but you’ve sold your soul to the devil when using such outdated, cruel quick fixes instead of time & training the horse correctly.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
i groomed for a show jumper for a short while ages ago and remember going into a young horse's stable to skip out and finding the horse tied up like that. When I questioned the other grooms I was told the horse had been throwing his head up during the schooling session earlier that morning and this would teach him not to do it! The horse was supposed to stay tied down in that over bent position for several hours. :mad:

This reminds me of the thread about Sammarie and the video of her cob, both ends of the spectrum and equally disgusting!

cornbrodolly

Visit site
I dont even understand why Lynn or anyone else could think this was acceptable - just horrible. Whilst I know side and draw reins are widely used in show circles , I have never seen any horse so held in - this is just rollkur. This young cob is not having the sort of training I would want for any horse.
I do think here are too many judges who do not penalise horses with a frame that has been manufactured by this sort of abuse. Good judges should know the difference , although most of the entries in the pony classes all look the same with rocking horse arched necks , a sure sign of being tied in.
It does seem showing is getting worse , very disappointing. I know of one showing family who were top flight a generation ago - they arent now , and I m sure its because they ride and train in a more sympathetic way, and the horses just havent the big arched neck and BTV most judges wish/expect to see.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
FFS! that is all :mad:
It has to be said Jovian was the most beautiful ID .
He was an exceptional individual.
He wasn't a very beautiful ID in these pics though was he?

JFTDWS

Visit site
Changing your horse feed manufacturer is easy, but changes nothing.

How many people who really think this is unacceptable would boycott and petition the BSHA and any event promoted by LR and the 8 other companies that sponsor her ?

I'm not sure of your point? Of the companies which sponsor LR, I haven't even heard of 4 of them. I've never used any services from the rest. I will continue not to do so. I have nothing at all to do with any affiliated showing body on principle - I do not approve of their "standards". I certainly wouldn't support any event associated with LR, and I have never knowingly supported any event promoted by any of her sponsors.

Foxychops

Visit site
Friend of a friend mentionedthey tied their show pony up really tight with its head in the air all night so obviously no food or water with the light on. If you have to do this sort of thing then you need to give up horses or get a pony you can control.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
It’s not his fault he was fat .
Nothing wrong with him the photos that could not solved with the amount of photoshopping that it would need to get me on the cover of vogue .

I think you miss my point Goldenstar - quite simply he looks nothing like and ID let alone an exceptional sample of the magnificent breed! Not for one moment am I suggesting he is not a magnificent sample - he might well be - but he sure doesn't look like one with half a ton of excess fat lathered on him does he? Of course it isnt his fault he looks like that, what a ridiculous thing to say? I cant think anyone commenting on this thread thinks it is the horse's fault - the whole point of the discussion is that is what 'we' as humans in control of their environment and diet do to these horses in the name of pot hunting!"

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Friend of a friend mentionedthey tied their show pony up really tight with its head in the air all night so obviously no food or water with the light on. If you have to do this sort of thing then you need to give up horses or get a pony you can control.
I've heard all sorts from show people. Trimming excessively, dehydrating and not feeding to get LHCs. Then a number who think it's okay to do this sort of thing. Those that have large adults on tiny ponies to "school" them for the child who is plonked on for the go around.

There are practices i disagree with in most discliplines though, not exclusive to showing.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think you miss my point Goldenstar - quite simply he looks nothing like and ID let alone an exceptional sample of the magnificent breed! Not for one moment am I suggesting he is not a magnificent sample - he might well be - but he sure doesn't look like one with half a ton of excess fat lathered on him does he? Of course it isnt his fault he looks like that, what a ridiculous thing to say? I cant think anyone commenting on this thread thinks it is the horse's fault - the whole point of the discussion is that is what 'we' as humans in control of their environment and diet do to these horses in the name of pot hunting!"

Does not matter if a horse was emaciated or far too fat I can always see how I want them to look when they are at their best .
If matters not a jot about the flab that’s a fantastically put together horse .

Goldenstar

Visit site
Changing your horse feed manufacturer is easy, but changes nothing.

How many people who really think this is unacceptable would boycott and petition the BSHA and any event promoted by LR and the 8 other companies that sponsor her ?

Companies want to sell stuff , if enough people dont buy the stuff they will notice quickly .

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Does not matter if a horse was emaciated or far too fat I can always see how I want them to look when they are at their best .
If matters not a jot about the flab that’s a fantastically put together horse .

Total rubbish - sorry but if you think it matters not a jot if a horse is emaciated or fat so longer as under that severe and obvious force feeding abuse lurks a decent sort then you probably would make a pretty acceptable judge in maxi cob and other overweight obese horse show classes. I have had a few full ID's with decent breeding and if I let even one of them look like that I would have been reported PDQ to the ISPCA for animal cruelty- and rightly so. And I certainly would NOT be trying to purport myself as someone who can always 'see' through the fat and abuse how they would look at their best, rather I would try to rapidly condemn the sad state of the horse rather than blowing my own ineffectual trumpet of knowledge of the ID breed. Ignorant attitudes like yours just further this cruelty and ignorance in the showing world IMO.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Had a look at the business page and reviews with comments. Seems someone who appears to work for her is saying the horse can move his head freely. That person s going down comments defending the training and says 'our' horses are happier than your horses (maybe a teenage employee???).

If that was an employee then she may be better keeping quiet, as Lynne has done. People seem to think she is a groom. I don't know if that is true or not.

Not sure the comments about it being acceptable will help the business at all, I do think LR will have to issue some kind of apology, for the sponsors' business if nothing else.

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
Total rubbish - sorry but if you think it matters not a jot if a horse is emaciated or fat so longer as under that severe and obvious force feeding abuse lurks a decent sort then you probably would make a pretty acceptable judge in maxi cob and other overweight obese horse show classes. I have had a few full ID's with decent breeding and if I let even one of them look like that I would have been reported PDQ to the ISPCA for animal cruelty- and rightly so. And I certainly would NOT be trying to purport myself as someone who can always 'see' through the fat and abuse how they would look at their best, rather I would try to rapidly condemn the sad state of the horse rather than blowing my own ineffectual trumpet of knowledge of the ID breed. Ignorant attitudes like yours just further this cruelty and ignorance in the showing world IMO.

What on earth are you talking about .
I can see a horses conformation thin or fat .
I fail to see why that’s ignorant .
He’s was a beautifully put together horse that does not change because he’s fat I would have bought him in a heartbeat .
Then put him on a two year diet .
I have condemned the size of the horse does not change the fact he was a beautiful example.
So why don’t you go and cool down a bit .
You are unnecessarily rude .

JFTDWS

Visit site

This isn't helpful at all. GS would make a super maxi cob judge if she wanted to - she doesn't want to see horses that fat. Whether the ID is a good example or not is entirely irrelevant to the question of whether it is obese (it was) and whether that contributed to its untimely death (it may have). It's even more irrelevant to whether it's acceptable to tie a horse's head down.

Play nicely, children.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It is easy to produce a show horse without abuse, not all owners are using inappropriate methods.

The grey horse was exceptional in terms of conformation. His carer made him what he was, the society under whose rules he competed allowed him to be abused and the HOYs judge was at fault for rewarding the abuse.

Exactly