Another reason to boycott Baileys...

Asha

Visit site
It’s an Irish draught I think you could quite easily get one like that on good plain showing feeding .
I should know I three of them they take the term good doer to another level .
One is hunting two days a week on low energy haylege and that not even ad-lib .
He’s full of energy and looking very well I will see those ribs this season I am determined .

I remember one year putting large bale of haylage out in the field for them when the grass was sparse. I had IDs in one field and WB in another. It took the IDs 2 days to polish it off, and 5 days for the WBs. The IDs looked like balloons. I watched them, the IDs literally didn't move, and stood with there heads in the bale until it had gone . The WBs took 24 hrs to actually get near it, as it was clearly a horse eating bale. Ive never made that mistake again. I find out at night and in during the day, (even across winter ) the best way to keep the girths trim, and plenty of work. Its a fine balance though, as I don't like them hungry, they can bring 'hangry' to an all new level.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Brilliant news. Probably slightly to do with the fact they are at YHL this weekend and didn't want to face lots of angry people face to face, but nevertheless, at least they have done it.

Who are her other sponsors just out of interest?
her website lists some others
https://www.topcobs.com/sponsors.html

she tags eqclusive on FB too but they don't have her listed on their website.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I remember one year putting large bale of haylage out in the field for them when the grass was sparse. I had IDs in one field and WB in another. It took the IDs 2 days to polish it off, and 5 days for the WBs. The IDs looked like balloons. I watched them, the IDs literally didn't move, and stood with there heads in the bale until it had gone . The WBs took 24 hrs to actually get near it, as it was clearly a horse eating bale. Ive never made that mistake again. I find out at night and in during the day, (even across winter ) the best way to keep the girths trim, and plenty of work. Its a fine balance though, as I don't like them hungry, they can bring 'hangry' to an all new level.

They do get hangry.
I tried to keep Fatty out last winter with a warm blood with a bale of hay .
They where shut away from it during the day .
fatty would just stand and eat down until his head disappeared into the bale completely he had no rug it’s a cold field he just got bigger and bigger .

AandK

Visit site
Really sad, but also sadly not surprised to read about this and see that there are still people about who think tying a horses head down is going to do them any good at all.
I actually got my mare (who I sadly lost on Tues aged 29) from Lynn Russell but that was almost 23yrs ago and I was very novice and naive back then. I’m glad Baileys have withdrawn their sponsorship.

Asha

Visit site
They do get hangry.
I tried to keep Fatty out last winter with a warm blood with a bale of hay .
They where shut away from it during the day .
fatty would just stand and eat down until his head disappeared into the bale completely he had no rug it’s a cold field he just got bigger and bigger .

That's just like my old girl Asha. Shes out rugless with the foals and a 2yo now and they are keeping her active which is helping. But retired IDs are the hardest to keep weight off. I feel your pain !

be positive

Visit site
Baileys have sponsored her for years, possibly from when she first started as a full time producer, to stop now is a really proving the power and influence of social media, it will be a shock for her even if it doesn't hit her directly in the pocket it will be noticed by any potential or current clients and may prove tricky for her to answer why they pulled out.

Last edited:

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Horsequest have responded:

Dear xxx

Thank you for your recent email.

This has only just been brought to our attention via social media, so we have passed the details onto the sponsorship department to review in full.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact us, it's greatly appreciated.

At least they have responded and are looking in to it :)

Ddraig_wen

Visit site
Baileys have withdrawn their sponsorship with immediate effect I read on a facebook status some people saying it was too harsh a reaction :confused:

PapaverFollis

Visit site

Oh my goodness, that just made me die laughing. I don't have any official recorded breeding for The Beast but having read that I'm now 99% sure she's 100% ID! 😂 Previous yard owner said he's never had a horse on the yard that would eat so much, so quickly. Oh and the HANGRY issues! 😂

And a "well done" for Baileys.

TPO

Visit site
This is going to be a really rubbish analogy because I can't remember the name of the film but bear with me...

So there is a famous film about a political candidate running for President; his slogan is "Change". He gets into office and turns to say "now what?"

First of all let me make it explicitly clear that I do not agree with the methods shown in the video clip nor do I agree with the cruel practices that some horses trainers/owners use.

The saddest part, excluding the impact on equine welfare, is that someone 1) tied the horse down like that 2) filmed it 3) posted it on SM and 4) thought that it was ok. Given by the number of supportive comments and excusing of that "method"/equipment used they are not alone in their way of thinking and "training".

Bailey's have ended the sponsorship of LR; regardless of their reasons why that is to be commended. In this age of SM no one holds a thought for long and if Baileys had sat tight I'm sure that this would have blown over within a week.

Let's say that the remaining sponsors also cease their contracts with LR, owners take their horse's away from LR and no one sends any more to her, then what?

The campaign worked but (tedious link back to film in second sentence) what has actually changed?

Does anyone think that losing sponsors/money/owners will actually make LR rethink her whole take on horsemanship and start putting horse's first over being successful in the show ring? If I was a betting man I'd bet that in the coming week's LR's social meeting will be full of "happy" horse pictures and videos of horse's being ridden/schooled/trained without gadgets and possibly some "I love horses" type posts thrown in too. I'd imagine a yard ban on phones/pictures/videos and tighter controls of who has access to their Social Media. Those that disagree with LR's "successful" training methods will be those tree hugging fluffy bunnies that's can't ride one side of a rocking horse let alone produce champions so on and so forth...

To me the real crux is how to get to the core of it. How do you stop people seeing horses (animals) as commodities and treating them badly? I hope I'm wrong but I really don't think that this episode with have LR looking within herself for the reasons why and instead will blame the keyboard warriors for blowing something out of proportion.

There are a lot of people, an ex-YO of mine included, who reckon that because there is worse that could happen to a horse things like this don't matter. At the previous yard there were owners who didn't see to their horses, didn't provide clean water, fed 1 section of hay for 16hrs+ of standing in, rode lame horses, had very ill fitting tack, sore horses, unfit horses doing things that they weren't physically capable of, etc etc and YOs rebuttal was always that "it's not like they are like the abused horse's in Egypt". The response by supporters of LR have been along similar lines in that these horse's receive the best of care and feed so is a short time in overtight side reins (& any other unacceptable method that is used to train animals) really that bad?

Then, being the devil's avocado, what if LR is abandoned by everyone and loses her livelihood (I personally think that this is very unlikely)? That could have a very devastating impact on an individual and I'm sure that no one would want that to happen. This immediate (cyber) world that we live has it's benefits but it also can have devastating consequences.

I guess my point is (eventually getting there) what now? So a sponsor or two drops someone using bad practices to compete horses; what does that actually change? How do you stop people doing things like this to horses and re-educate them?

I do think it's right that people speak up when they see something wrong happening and especially when the victim does not have a voice of their own.

lar

Visit site
i know how about a prize for the fittest looking slim horse, in any class, a special rossette, but of of course then you would be able to see the real conformation of the horse and that would never do, would it?
Leahurst did that our local show this season.

Clodagh

Visit site
Utterly depressing that there are STILL people defending LR!

One of the posts on the Baileys FB page says it's OK, because the cob was wearing clean tack!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Well of course, you wouldn't want to ruin a young horse in grubby stuff, would you!?

If nothing else, having to pay to make those wobbly lumps of lard that stagger round the ring under her is going to cost her a pretty penny.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I guess my point is (eventually getting there) what now? So a sponsor or two drops someone using bad practices to compete horses; what does that actually change? How do you stop people doing things like this to horses and re-educate them?

I do think it's right that people speak up when they see something wrong happening and especially when the victim does not have a voice of their own.
agree wholeheartedly with your post TPO and while we can all say the judges should stop placing the fat horses, policing what goes on, training-wise behind closed doors will always be impossible, and I am not sure how you effect positive change there. it's a bit like how dressage stewards are supposed to call out people rollkurring in the warm up, but no one can do the same at their home yards.

Reactions: TPO

Dyllymoo

Visit site
This is going to be a really rubbish analogy because I can't remember the name of the film but bear with me...

So there is a famous film about a political candidate running for President; his slogan is "Change". He gets into office and turns to say "now what?"

First of all let me make it explicitly clear that I do not agree with the methods shown in the video clip nor do I agree with the cruel practices that some horses trainers/owners use.

The saddest part, excluding the impact on equine welfare, is that someone 1) tied the horse down like that 2) filmed it 3) posted it on SM and 4) thought that it was ok. Given by the number of supportive comments and excusing of that "method"/equipment used they are not alone in their way of thinking and "training".

Bailey's have ended the sponsorship of LR; regardless of their reasons why that is to be commended. In this age of SM no one holds a thought for long and if Baileys had sat tight I'm sure that this would have blown over within a week.

Let's say that the remaining sponsors also cease their contracts with LR, owners take their horse's away from LR and no one sends any more to her, then what?

The campaign worked but (tedious link back to film in second sentence) what has actually changed?

Does anyone think that losing sponsors/money/owners will actually make LR rethink her whole take on horsemanship and start putting horse's first over being successful in the show ring? If I was a betting man I'd bet that in the coming week's LR's social meeting will be full of "happy" horse pictures and videos of horse's being ridden/schooled/trained without gadgets and possibly some "I love horses" type posts thrown in too. I'd imagine a yard ban on phones/pictures/videos and tighter controls of who has access to their Social Media. Those that disagree with LR's "successful" training methods will be those tree hugging fluffy bunnies that's can't ride one side of a rocking horse let alone produce champions so on and so forth...

To me the real crux is how to get to the core of it. How do you stop people seeing horses (animals) as commodities and treating them badly? I hope I'm wrong but I really don't think that this episode with have LR looking within herself for the reasons why and instead will blame the keyboard warriors for blowing something out of proportion.

There are a lot of people, an ex-YO of mine included, who reckon that because there is worse that could happen to a horse things like this don't matter. At the previous yard there were owners who didn't see to their horses, didn't provide clean water, fed 1 section of hay for 16hrs+ of standing in, rode lame horses, had very ill fitting tack, sore horses, unfit horses doing things that they weren't physically capable of, etc etc and YOs rebuttal was always that "it's not like they are like the abused horse's in Egypt". The response by supporters of LR have been along similar lines in that these horse's receive the best of care and feed so is a short time in overtight side reins (& any other unacceptable method that is used to train animals) really that bad?

Then, being the devil's avocado, what if LR is abandoned by everyone and loses her livelihood (I personally think that this is very unlikely)? That could have a very devastating impact on an individual and I'm sure that no one would want that to happen. This immediate (cyber) world that we live has it's benefits but it also can have devastating consequences.

I understand your point, but I think it has to start somewhere. If it gets a few of the people who initially stuck up for her, or who still are or maybe have done in the past to rethink their own ways of doing things surely that's a good thing. Or maybe new owners or youngsters who are looking for people to look up to.

Its never going to completely wipe anything like this out (unfortunately) but its more about education. That that ISNT the right way to treat a horse and that it doesn't matte if you have sponsors or not, it shouldn't be the way you do things.