Another saddle fitting question..

emfen1305

Visit site
Seems to be a popular topic this morning! My saddle fitter is coming on a fairly regular basis at the moment as Bud is still changing shape but she can't get to me for a couple of weeks so I am after some advice. Saddle is currently sitting a little uneven, it lifts slightly at the back due to sitting a bit low at the front. It was fitted for a thin numnah which I mostly ride in but when it needs tweaking I have swapped out the numnah for a half pad to lift it. This seems to make the saddle level and it doesn't lift however I feel it is making the saddle too tight a fit as it then doesn't sit flush under the knee roll, there is quite a large gap where the half pad ends which makes me wonder if it is too much bulk - I have tried to edit a photo to show where I mean. It sits nicely with the numnah as shown in the photo but the area circle doesn't touch him when I am using the half pad. Is there anything else I can try or anyone would recommend? I looked at Mattes but unfortunately out of my budget at the moment! Thanks! :)

Attachments

• 46418494_356119495159095_2568234784803258368_n.jpg
    46418494_356119495159095_2568234784803258368_n.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 28

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It doesn't sound right at all so I would be inclined or to use it until it's looked at, it doesn't take long to ruin a nice back but it takes a very long time to put the muscle back and make it good again personally I wouldn't risk it.

emfen1305

Visit site
Thanks, i think "not right at all" might be a little strong but I appreciate I might not have explained myself well and also you haven't seen it in person but he is certainly one for making you aware of when it is isn't right and he's still going nicely I am just aware of the slight lift and was wondering if there was anything on the market to help lift it slightly but isn't as bulky as a half pad.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
The slight gap under a half pad isn't usually a problem as it's beyond the weight bearing area. Thicker pads don't generally make saddles "tight" in specific areas, they only time they really cause that sort of problem is with a high withered horse with wide spinal processes and that very lean muscle, or lack of muscle, below. If it lifts the front of the saddle, is pulled well up, isn't pinching the spinal processes in a higher wither, and isn't causing bridging because of the lift then GENERALLY it's a good tool.

emfen1305

Visit site
The slight gap under a half pad isn't usually a problem as it's beyond the weight bearing area. Thicker pads don't generally make saddles "tight" in specific areas, they only time they really cause that sort of problem is with a high withered horse with wide spinal processes and that very lean muscle, or lack of muscle, below. If it lifts the front of the saddle, is pulled well up, isn't pinching the spinal processes in a higher wither, and isn't causing bridging because of the lift then GENERALLY it's a good tool.

Ok so would you say it's better to have the pad that lifts (he isn't high withered) and have it sit more level but with the gap towards the bottom than have with the thin numnah but with it lifting slightly? I was worried the gap was an indication it might have been causing a problem elsewhere! Is there a good corrector pad that you would recommend? I know Mattes is the best but other than that? I think I could do with one that has a clear spine as my current one doesnt and don't think that helps..

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Could you clipper the spine? I don't know other shimmable pads well enough to recommend them I'm afraid, I encourage my customers to hold out for a used Mattes online if they can't afford new, we discussed high tech ones the other day on here but they're as expensive as Mattes.

And yes, correct balance as long as you have 100% contact under the weight bearing area is the aim, if a half pad gives you that then it's better than not using it. I would check with your fitter though, I can only comment on the general principles and every case is different.

emfen1305

Visit site
Could you clipper the spine? I don't know other shimmable pads well enough to recommend them I'm afraid, I encourage my customers to hold out for a used Mattes online if they can't afford new, we discussed high tech ones the other day on here but they're as expensive as Mattes.

And yes, correct balance as long as you have 100% contact under the weight bearing area is the aim, if a half pad gives you that then it's better than not using it. I would check with your fitter though, I can only comment on the general principles and every case is different.

I hadn't even considered that! What a good idea! It would certainly save me some money and would confirm whether something with spine clearance is better! I'll do it this weekend! It feels like there is even pressure when I have the half pad on but I don't usually have to use it for long as I always get the fitter to come but its just unfortunately a bit of a wait this time round, I know the ideal is just not to ride but I want to try and maintain the same level of work so it can be adjusted appropriately! Thanks :)