Another saddle q... sorry!!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I finally bit the bullet and booked a saddle appointment today.
I’m taking horse to Colne to try a few on and hopefully buy second hand.
I was hoping that I would find a possibility and take it to try myself then come back, with horse to check and adjust (this is what I did last time)
My problem is, horse is going to be a nightmare 😳 I know it. I’ve only travelled him a few times and I’d not have wanted to get on when he unloaded, in fact last time hanging onto him was tough enough. I imagine getting him off the lorry and someone trying saddles (not keen!) on in a car park or unknown area may well blow his little mind.
Secondly they asked no questions what so ever. So they don’t even roughly know what the horse is likely to fit (ie-is it a 12.2 pony or a shire) what my budget is or what I’m looking for. Does this mean I’m going to be waiting outside for him for ages while they go find possibilities?
I kind of assumed they would come out having already had a basic idea of what to try.
Thirdly, there was nothing there in my price range that fitted my criteria today.
I’m not sure if I’m being unreasonable in what I’m after?
Brown (pref but not essential) fairly forward cut with big knee blocks, GP/Jump m/w (I think) 17.5” £700 budget.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Did they ask you if you were looking for new or 2nd hand?
I drove my horse to a saddlers having told them I could not afford new and described my horse only to be told ‘ We’ve nothing here today that will fit’
Best to make sure before wasting diesel and time.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Did they ask you if you were looking for new or 2nd hand?
I drove my horse to a saddlers having told them I could not afford new and described my horse only to be told ‘ We’ve nothing here today that will fit’

Best to make sure before wasting diesel and time.
No, absolutely nothing. They have my first name and mobile number!
I did call in to see a specific saddle on the website which happened to have sold yesterday! 😩 typical!
Maybe I’ll call a few days before.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I did call in to see a specific saddle on the website which happened to have sold yesterday! 😩 typical!

That’s a good idea. It is annoying to have a wasted journey especially if you think your horse may be a bit unco-operative.

be positive

Visit site

It doesn't sound like a professional service, surely they need to ask a few questions, size, type of horse, purpose, budget at the very least so they know whether a trip will be wasting your time, they will ask for payment even if they only bring out a few totally unsuitable saddles, I would not go to the trouble of traveling there if they do not have at least 3 or 4 that sound possible.

QueenT

Visit site
Here's how I did it... Saddler came out and measured my horse, putting rubbery rods at various places and checking. We discussed needs, likes, price ranges (used, please, she called it preloved :) Second appointment, she brings three saddles that I try on while she's there, looking at how I sit in it. She discards one, I discard another. I keep one to try out for a couple of weeks. Bought a used Prestige in close-to-mint condition. Love it! I know a lot of people travel for it, I think my horse would be fine with that - me it would stress out!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Sounds bizarre that they haven't taken details. Even the saddle fitters I've had that I didn't rate have at least asked what I was after beforehand. Tbh it doesn't sound like a great set up for you anyway - you won't be able to make much of a judgement if your horse is likely to be tense and wound up. Buying second hand saddles is a nightmare these days 😖

ozpoz

Visit site
You need to assess the saddle ridden too, have it fitted and balanced to you and your horse. That won't be possible in a car park on a tense horse. Honestly, I'd cancel and try another way. Where are you? Surely someone can recommend a saddle fitter who would come out to you?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
It will be there they recommend! They are who I’d recommend usually, however I’ve not bought in years.
They have a lovely school so a ridden assessment would be the norm but this particular horse hasn’t been in work a huge amount of time and I’d posted before I couldn’t get on him! That’s now been pretty much cracked at home but it’s taken a long time of work at two mounting blocks. obviously I can’t spend hours there with each saddle trying to get on him 😳
Does anyone know where I can get huge Velcro knee blocks? I can make do with my Wintec until he’s better but was borrowing the blocks from another saddle that I sold to find a new one!

AandK

Visit site
When I had the saddler out to my new horse recently, I sent them the details. I told them a bit about the horse, what I wanted saddle wise and I also sent some pics of his back from various angles on both sides. On the day, the saddler said it was very useful info to have.

JillA

Visit site
Explain to them the situation and request that they come to you. If they refuse, find another saddle fitter/seller - they can't possibly assess a good fit if horse isn't working properly, and ridden. They should see you ride in any one they try because it all changes with the weight of a rider, at all three paces

flying_high

Visit site
How about a two step process. Day 1 take horse to saddlers where hopefully they have a warehouse of second hand saddles to try on him.

Try on lots of saddles.

Eliminate to best 5-10 saddles, that look to fit and be right size and style for you.

Day 2 saddler brings these to you to ride in and whittle down to one, which he flocks to you and sells.

be positive

Visit site
How about a two step process. Day 1 take horse to saddlers where hopefully they have a warehouse of second hand saddles to try on him.

Try on lots of saddles.

Eliminate to best 5-10 saddles, that look to fit and be right size and style for you.

Day 2 saddler brings these to you to ride in and whittle down to one, which he flocks to you and sells.

If they asked the right questions, were good at their job and had a warehouse full to pick from they should be capable of bringing out 10 or so to try in the first place, that is what my saddler will do not that he has that many to choose from but he rarely turns up without a couple of good options based on the info he has been given.

Kaylum

Visit site
You would want to ride in it do they have facilities. It needs to fit both you and the horse. They would also want to see how the horse moves with it on, what girths and saddle cloths etc you intend using and what they recommend you using.

and yes does it need reflocking, how are you and your horse feeling in it after a week's trial. Does it slip to one side? Lift at the back or slide forward. Sometimes it takes a while to get use to and isnt always obvious.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’m going to cancel. Horse is only just started a bit of trotting on the roads this last week so seeing him ridden in all paces is a no go. I’ll source some bigger blocks for the Wintec and leave a new saddle til we are more settled in work. He’s doing so well in many ways but it all relies at the moment at keeping him in his comfort zone!

JillA

Visit site
I’m going to cancel. Horse is only just started a bit of trotting on the roads this last week so seeing him ridden in all paces is a no go. I’ll source some bigger blocks for the Wintec and leave a new saddle til we are more settled in work. He’s doing so well in many ways but it all relies at the moment at keeping him in his comfort zone!

Maybe get a good sheepskin half pad to tide you over while he changes shape. It made all the difference to mine while I was waiting for the adjustment, and it was my fitter who suggested it

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Maybe get a good sheepskin half pad to tide you over while he changes shape. It made all the difference to mine while I was waiting for the adjustment, and it was my fitter who suggested it
I’ve had it checked by my back lady who’s v gd with saddle fitting (but not qualified, doesn’t claim to be a fitter) and she agrees with me that it’s really quite a good fit. I’m just not so keen on it for myself. The main thing is it’s ok for him though I guess! I’ll suck it up a while longer!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
It will be there they recommend! They are who I’d recommend usually, however I’ve not bought in years.
They have a lovely school so a ridden assessment would be the norm but this particular horse hasn’t been in work a huge amount of time and I’d posted before I couldn’t get on him! That’s now been pretty much cracked at home but it’s taken a long time of work at two mounting blocks. obviously I can’t spend hours there with each saddle trying to get on him 😳
Does anyone know where I can get huge Velcro knee blocks? I can make do with my Wintec until he’s better but was borrowing the blocks from another saddle that I sold to find a new one!
I am casting no aspersions as it costs everyone less (apart from your time) to go to a saddle fitter at their own facilities so it can be a great idea but it means you are not covered by what were called the distance trading regulations which you would be if they came to you, or another yard where you hired the arena. You have the right to return the saddle if you purchase it away from their premises (the whole 14 and 28 day rules you have for online shopping etc)

Sounds like the best decision.

Nooooo, your fitter suggested it to correct the particular issue YOU were having. If the issues is the saddle tipping back or bridging it will make it worse.

I spend at least 20 minutes on the phone to prospective customers, I need to know budget, all about the rider, all about the horse including injuries, asymmetries etc, what you plan to do with the horse too. I also get key photos so I know what stock to bring. I do not understand not doing that and it does make me cross when they take no info, then charge you the callout etc when they have nothing even close to fitting.