Another saddle question

Kelly1982

Visit site
Ok i am completly dumb when i comes to saddles coz i always get a saddler out.

My horse has been measured for a 17.5" wide saddle, i ordered one of the net on the advice of the saddler who is coming back out to refit once the saddle has arrived.

My friend has offered to lend me an 16.5" saddle until my new one arrives. I am really dubious about doing this anyway as i have not got a clue about saddles and fitting them but she said it should be fine as its only and inch smaller
confused.gif

Is the size just the length and in which case wouldn't matter that much or would it make a big difference?? I'm not sure i really want to go down this route anyway even if the saddle was the corect size as they all come up different but dont know what to say to her.

Help!!!

Equibeau

Visit site
I am not an expert, but the 16.5" is the seat size, it measures from the stud at the front to the middle of the cantle, it wouldnt make much difference to the horse until yours arrives. I have a 17.5" which I want to change for a smaller one as I am on the short side!!

Kelly1982

Visit site
I thought it was the seat/legth but i still worry about things like that as she is only 4yo. I have quite a big bum too
blush.gif
LOL

MrsMagoo

Visit site
as long as the saddle doesnt come past her last rib then its ok that way, so a 16.5 should be ok for a bit. Its the width part you need to make sure fits, so is hers a wide??

Kelly1982

Visit site
Thats something i will have to check.

Still a bit worried though even if it is the right size as they all come up differently.

Spose i could wear a fluffly numnah
confused.gif

Rambo

Visit site
The seat size is more about the size of your backside Kelly
wink.gif
A smaller seat will generally be okay, but as has been stated above, a larger seat might be a problem as it could sit too far back on the horses loin area. The width fitting, and cut are the important things to worry about as you don't want the saddle pinching the withers, or restricting the shoulder movement
tongue.gif
A wide saddle with a numnah should be okay for a few days, just make sure it doesn't press down on her withers
smile.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The seat size is more about the size of your backside Kelly

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what i am worried about, my bum will be hanging over the edge!!!
tongue.gif

It will only be for about a week til i get my new one but you know what i am like, i worry LOL