Another trailer to lorry thread...Another reason to want to.

patchwork puzzle

Visit site
So, I thought I’d start a second thread so I didn’t Piggy back the other one as my reasons for considering the change from my trailer to a lorry is different.
I currently have a Kia Sorento and IW 505 trailer. I love towing but rarely go out, maybe once or twice a month in summer (although will probably go out more next year as I’m going to trailer out to new riding routes) and not really at all in the winter.
I wouldn’t be thinking of changing but I’ve just started a new job and my commute has gone from 25 miles a day to 65 miles and boy am I noticing the diesel cost (not to mention my poor old city girl now throwing her toys out the pram at doing so many miles/motorways and starting to rattle and complain).
So I’m considering swapping the big car and trailer to a little cheap runaround and a 3.5t.
I’ve had a little lorry before and that one did cost a bit for mot’s but insurance was ok, however the cheaper tax on the car will just be wiped out by paying for the lorry’s tax and their will be two lots of insurance and mot.
One thing I’m certain of is that I definitely do want to have something, despite potentially not using it a lot as I like the security that it is there if needed.
What do you guys think? What would you be doing in the situation (baring in mind that I’ve been told the rattle/blowing noise that the car’s developed may be the turbo so could be facing costly car repair, choose to change car to another that will tow or a small car and lorry)

blitznbobs

Visit site
Before you do anything think about the long commute in the little run around- that is what would put me off the lorry combination but if you are good with that then I’d go for the lorry combo...

patchwork puzzle

Visit site
Before you do anything think about the long commute in the little run around- that is what would put me off the lorry combination but if you are good with that then I’d go for the lorry combo...
Mmnn, yes that’s the other thing. I do love driving my car, it’s comfy and responsive.
I did take into account the extra cost in fuel too so I’m not out of pocket (slightly better off even after the extra fuel to be honest, but only by a small amount) but I’m predicting that it might come to a time when I’m looking at the extra money going in the car instead of staying in my bank lol.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Lorries don't like sitting around doing nothing much of the time, they need to be used regularly, so that would put me off a lorry in your circs.

A 4x4 estate car like an Skoda Octavia scout would be a good economical commute car plus it would tow well too. Ours is a good motorway car and easy to drive on long runs, where it returns 50mpg ish. Tow limit of 2000kg, so would manage your 505 and one up no probs.

patchwork puzzle

Visit site
Lorries don't like sitting around doing nothing much of the time, they need to be used regularly, so that would put me off a lorry in your circs.

A 4x4 estate car like an Skoda Octavia scout would be a good economical commute car plus it would tow well too. Ours is a good motorway car and easy to drive on long runs, where it returns 50mpg ish. Tow limit of 2000kg, so would manage your 505 and one up no probs.
Ah, that’s a good point about lorries. I think that’s a good idea to just see about getting the most economical towing car if I find this ones going to cost a bomb to fix or going forward it’s too depressing to see extra cash going into the fuel tank.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Like TP said could you look at a more economical towing car? If you're only towing 1 horse there are lots to choose from that have a tow limit of 2000kg. We have a Honda CRV and get around 44mpg on mainly short journeys.

patchwork puzzle

Visit site
Like TP said could you look at a more economical towing car? If you're only towing 1 horse there are lots to choose from that have a tow limit of 2000kg. We have a Honda CRV and get around 44mpg on mainly short journeys.
I do like to go out with my friends and do usually give lifts but to be fair I myself do only have a 14.1 and a 10.2hh and together they come in at around 650kg. My trailer was also revamped by the person I bought it from and I am considering changing it as he changed the floor and lower part of the sides to marine ply so it’s considerably heavier than it could be!

Landcruiser

Visit site
Marine ply is good! Better than what was in before I think, I'd stick with that, or change the floor for an ally one if weight is that much of an issue.
I have recently gone the other way - 7.5 ton lorry to 4x4 and trailer, but I have the luxury of also having an old Berlingo as my day to day run around. 5 years ago I sold my then run around/tow car/trailer combo and bought the lorry and berlingo. The berlingo has been great but the lorry cost me a fortune at plating every year, although I loved having the space and versatility of the lorry. As a money saving exercise it didn't work though. I guess it depends on the vehicles to some extent - my lorry was pretty old!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Can you run 2 cars? A newer and very cheap car and an older 4x4? I have a 3yr old peugeot 108. No tax and does 75mpg I think. Little engine but its a little car o it feels fine to drive. It has the most comfortable seats. I love driving it and its so cheap. The other car is a 20yr old Terrano. Cost pennies, insured minimally and used for towing and dogs and anything that needs a big car. It helps that my partner uses it to go 3 miles to work everyday, but it would be fine not run for ages and then used.

Orangehorse

Visit site
If I was driving 65 miles every day to go to work I would want a good, comfortable, reliable car to do the journey, and as you are not going out a lot with the trailer, then that is secondary. Trailers do not cost you anything while they are not being used (apart from safety checks occasionally). A lorry is costing in insurance and depreciation and engine don't like standing around doing nothing.

Go for a better vehicle that can tow. I have heard of expensive repairs needed for Kias.. My sister had one pony in a trailer and had a Rav that wasn't 4 wheel drive and that has been good.

TRECtastic

Visit site
I only tow a couple of times a month so have a Toyota avensis estate for towing and commuting.
It does 60mpg on a motorway run ( not towing ) , has a tow weight of 1.8 ton so plenty for 1 horse and trailer
Tax is £30 a year

I used to have a Kia Sorrento, nice car but was expensive to run, £500 a year tax !!

patchwork puzzle

Visit site
Go for a better vehicle that can tow. I have heard of expensive repairs needed for Kias.. My sister had one pony in a trailer and had a Rav that wasn't 4 wheel drive and that has been good.
The Kia Sorento is a fab vehicle for towing. I wouldn’t want to change it because it’s ‘not a good vehicle’.
It’s all personal preference. I for one would not want to tow with a vehicle which was not a 4x4 and would question whether a non 4x4 Rav was even legally capable of pulling anything more than perhaps one horse in a lightweight trailer.

patchwork puzzle

Visit site
Can you run 2 cars? A newer and very cheap car and an older 4x4? I have a 3yr old peugeot 108. No tax and does 75mpg I think. Little engine but its a little car o it feels fine to drive. It has the most comfortable seats. I love driving it and its so cheap. The other car is a 20yr old Terrano. Cost pennies, insured minimally and used for towing and dogs and anything that needs a big car. It helps that my partner uses it to go 3 miles to work everyday, but it would be fine not run for ages and then used.

This could be a good plan, I like this idea!
I’ve actually just got back from having the car looked at and it is just a hose (yay) and is peanuts to fix (double yay).

honetpot

Visit site
I would sit down and work out how many times you go out and then look at hire. I have a trailer, an old Rice that I use for short hops, and getting hay, but always hire a 3.5tonne which costs £100-120 a day plus fuel. I get a nicer lorry than I could ever buy, no worries about MOT etc, and its clean and ready to go when I need it. The most I have spent is about £500.
I have a camper van that I am thinking of selling, its just cost over £1500 to get it through its MOT, and I have done less than 500miles this year.

patchwork puzzle

Visit site
I would sit down and work out how many times you go out and then look at hire. I have a trailer, an old Rice that I use for short hops, and getting hay, but always hire a 3.5tonne which costs £100-120 a day plus fuel. I get a nicer lorry than I could ever buy, no worries about MOT etc, and its clean and ready to go when I need it. The most I have spent is about £500.
I have a camper van that I am thinking of selling, its just cost over £1500 to get it through its MOT, and I have done less than 500miles this year.

I’ve already said above that I’m not going to hire. I want something there in case it’s needed in an emergency. I understand that in some ways it would make sense but I wouldn’t be able to just get up and choose to go and visit new rides on a lovely day if i had to hire.

fairyclare

Visit site
I do a 60 mile round trip every day too, I have an Audi A3 petrol and a 3.5t little box, it works for me.
I have just passed my B+E trailer licence so I have that as an option, mum has a towing car for her caravan so if it was really necessary I could hire a trailer.

I love my car, I can't bear to part with it, I also really can justify the cost of a bigger car especially when I do that commute everyday.
I also love my box, it is so cheap to keep, cheap to run, horses love it.

Sorry, I don't think that is much help as answers go :(