Another valuing a horse thread

Surbie

Visit site
My friend is selling her mare. She's a 13yo 15hh Connie X (probably ID given her sturdy legs). She is generally forward and unflappable out hacking - used to farm machinery, cows, sheep, traffic, though she isn't keen on dirt bikes - she will take a couple of steps back but that's it. Zero vices, good with farrier, vet, dentist etc. Will hack for days alone or in company and has a nice little jump.

She isn't particularly good in the school, she's green despite her age. My friend's had her for nearly 4 years but because both my friend's knees have deteriorated badly and she has had to shield through the pandemic, she's not been ridden more than once a week and sometimes not that. Despite lack of being ridden, you can get on and feel totally safe. I've ridden her, so know she copes with a relative novice!

Any idea on value? To be honest I think finding a hacking/low-level endurance home would be the dream.

Surbie

Visit site
Thanks. She can be properly viewed and tried - still being ridden about once a week by a freelancer friend and sometimes by me and another friend too.

All the ads seem to be for horses that are competing or focusing on schooling - wasn't sure what the market was for a happy hacker.

Melody Grey

Visit site
There’s always a market for a safe, happy hacker- some of us have left our schooling and competing days long behind! She sounds fab- there’s nothing at all wrong with marketing her as a happy hacker, that’s a useful job in itself, particularly if she can pop the odd fence.
The market is crazy at the moment. I bet you could easily get £3-4K.

Birker2020

Visit site
My friend is selling her mare. She's a 13yo 15hh Connie X (probably ID given her sturdy legs). She is generally forward and unflappable out hacking - used to farm machinery, cows, sheep, traffic, though she isn't keen on dirt bikes - she will take a couple of steps back but that's it. Zero vices, good with farrier, vet, dentist etc. Will hack for days alone or in company and has a nice little jump.

She isn't particularly good in the school, she's green despite her age. My friend's had her for nearly 4 years but because both my friend's knees have deteriorated badly and she has had to shield through the pandemic, she's not been ridden more than once a week and sometimes not that. Despite lack of being ridden, you can get on and feel totally safe. I've ridden her, so know she copes with a relative novice!

Any idea on value? To be honest I think finding a hacking/low-level endurance home would be the dream.
With the stupid prices on the market at the moment the skies the limit.

And if she's not completely sound it won't matter a jot. I was sent three videos of three different horses yesterday and not one was sound :( But hey, when does that ever deter anyone? :rolleyes: Sorry, feeling a bit angry lol

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
there is always a market for happy hackers who are straightforward and can be well behaved alone and in company..also most horses, with a little bit of training can do lower level riding club events. she sounds like she would be suitable either for people as a first horse or someone older who doesnt want to compete seriously. i would think she would sell easily in this market

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
We’re looking for a happy hacker at the moment and being green in the school wouldn’t be an issue at all for what we need. That said, I’d be a tad wary of something in so little work and whether they’d stand up to a bit more work but that’s mainly because I’ve been burnt before so am more skeptical these days.

Birker2020

Visit site
Given the mares age I think she has a lot going for her. I know an equine physio who sees just about every type of horse you can imagine, some worth hundred of thousands of pounds, some which a couple of hundred, but all of which have varying issues physically. She has said that there is a lot to be said for getting an older horse that has always been in regular work and stayed sound.

Given the multitude of younger horses I've seen after asking the vendor to sell me a video (aged between 5-10) I am wondering if this is now the way to go but I'm wary about how long a 13 year old will last before it inevitably gets an arthritic condition which renders it next to useless.

If your friend can prove the horse has remained sound for most or all of its working life then she would be able to get a good sum of money, I would have thought.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i am older and if i was looking i would be looking for something over 12 as i dont know how long i would be able to ride and as long as i got about 5 years happy hacking, i would be pleased with that...it would be [pointless me buying a 6 year old as i never sell my horses on , much more sensible to get an oldie and we can slow down together...im sure there are lots of people like me around...

Surbie

Visit site
Thank you - really appreciate it. She's been sound since she came over from Ireland - I don't know her history before then. My friend's not really fussed about the money but wants her mare to go where she will be doing a good job and be happy. The horse really does enjoy work. I took her to an equitation session and she stomped through every obstacle without turning a hair - we even used a pole to hook a ring off a life-size bull. My own horse would have been having 10 shades of horrors.

teddypops

Visit site
[

Probably be best to look for similar horses in the area and price accordingly. Horse prices are very high at the moment and a safe sensible hack will always be worth a decent amount. What area is your friend in?

Last edited:

Wishfilly

Visit site
How much weight do you think she could take? I think about £3.5k, but add another £1000 on to that if she could carry say 12st plus.

Does she jump at all even to pop a log out hacking?

Surbie

Visit site
How much weight do you think she could take? I think about £3.5k, but add another £1000 on to that if she could carry say 12st plus.

Does she jump at all even to pop a log out hacking?

Yes she jumps, will jump in the school, did it as part of the equitation thing too and will happily go over logs and stomp through water. She has a lot of bone, and carries 13.5st with no issues.

She's in Surrey.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Yes she jumps, will jump in the school, did it as part of the equitation thing too and will happily go over logs and stomp through water. She has a lot of bone, and carries 13.5st with no issues.

She's in Surrey.

I think I would up to £4.5k then, but I think for that sort of price she would need to be somewhere she can be tried with facilities e.g. a school etc. Although given the current market, someone will probably snap her up even without!

I'm Dun

Visit site
I think I would up to £4.5k then, but I think for that sort of price she would need to be somewhere she can be tried with facilities e.g. a school etc. Although given the current market, someone will probably snap her up even without!

I think thats too low. Have you seen prices of late? A safe hack that carries a bit of weight sells for a premium. The people who want the safe hacks dont care about a competition record and will negotiate on age. She sounds like a perfect first horse. They dont come up often and demand is currently far outstripping supply.

Wishfilly

Visit site
I think thats too low. Have you seen prices of late? A safe hack that carries a bit of weight sells for a premium. The people who want the safe hacks dont care about a competition record and will negotiate on age. She sounds like a perfect first horse. They dont come up often and demand is currently far outstripping supply.

I have seen prices, and bought this time last year. I've priced to bear in mind the horse is pretty much being sold from the field and is not in full work. If someone was able to spend a bit of time bringing into full work, then I agree the price would be higher. It's not just about competition record- a lot of people will want something ready to go for the summer.

I think prices for hacks are all over the place to be honest- and you could see people asking 8-10k for a safe hack that will carry some weight, and equally similar horses priced for £3k.

However, in some areas of the country, presented correctly, the seller could definitely get more for her.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I've just bought a few weeks ago. I couldnt find anything to carry 13.5 stone that was safe for 3k and believe me I looked

Wishfilly

Visit site
I've just bought a few weeks ago. I couldnt find anything to carry 13.5 stone that was safe for 3k and believe me I looked

And if you read my post, I am saying £4.5k, not £3k?

And if she were in proper work, it would definitely be more than that. Personally I think it would be well worth getting someone to ride her regularly and present her for sale, as that would up her value probably to about £6k or so.

Most people I know would be wary of buying something that's only in very light work as issues may appear as she gets fitter. To me, that's not something that is necessarily safe and certainly not ready to go for the summer.

I'm Dun

Visit site
equally similar horses priced for £3k.

I was referring to this bit.

I dont think proper work has any impact on a happy hacker. She in some work so can be tried doing what shes best at. It would be different if she was sold from the field and couldn't be tried.

PSD

Visit site
Friend of mine has sold one similar sounding to yours for 9k.

Has arthritis, but amazing for hacking and such. He’s a million percent safe as houses, the market is bonkers.

Wishfilly

Visit site
I was referring to this bit.

I dont think proper work has any impact on a happy hacker. She in some work so can be tried doing what shes best at. It would be different if she was sold from the field and couldn't be tried.

I'm still in all the groups I was in on Facebook when I was looking. Sometimes nice, happy hacker types come up cheaply for whatever reason. Obviously I haven't viewed so I don't know if the sellers are genuine, but particularly stuff that can't school at all is out there for £3k (I accept that's not this horse, though).

I strongly disagree that a horse who's in work once a week at best won't change with more work- both in terms of soundness and behaviour. It might not be a bad thing (more fitness may improve the horse) but I think a buyer would be taking a risk on it. If it were me I would want to know how long it has been since she was in proper work? The start of the pandemic was well over a year ago now and it sounds like the lack of work has been going on for longer than that.

Given OP describes the horse as "green" at 13, I would wonder if she has ever been in proper work, and that is a risk to me.

But equally there are probably people out there willing to pay £6k in this market, obviously it is up to the seller!

Boulty

Visit site
Realistically probably about £5k as is in this market but as she sounds like the sort that’s hard to find I’m terms of being pretty bombproof & getting on with the job don’t think it would be wrong for her to price at around £6-8k & expect to be talked down (or not if someone utterly falls in love with her)

timefort

Visit site
I bought a horse very similar to this for £4k 7years ago and she's worth her weight in gold and still going strong. I was a first time owner and found it hard to find good sounding horses in the 10-14 age bracket (I didn't want a youngster). I would absolutely buy in the same are range again and this mare sounds exactly like the sort of horse I'd go for if I was looking again.

In this market I would easily consider pricing in £6-8k with the attitude that for the right home/person price could be negotiable.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
its an advantage if the horse is not in full work and still being safe and sane , many happy hackers are unable to work a horse every day so the danger of buying a horse in full work and then changing to maybe being hacked 3 times a week is just as important. the safe sane lovely horse in full work could be hard to handle once the work is sporadic and not as taxing..if it was me i would be happy with the level of work the horse is in at the moment as i know i am not expecting to gallop for hours or want to jump much so wouldnt be putting lots of strain on the joints..

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I guess, like anything, there's 'happy hacking' and 'happy hacking'.

I'm a happy hacker but I'd personally want the horse to be in as much work as possible. I still ride 5-6 days a week all year round. I do as much trot and canter out hacking as possible and expect to be able to jump logs, ditches etc as part of a normal hack. I wouldn't want to spend 8 weeks bringing him or her to fitness for hacking, only to find he or she couldn't stand up to it 5 days a week.

I'm not suggesting this is the case at all for the horse in question but it probably shows even selling as a 'happy hack' there is a wide expectation of type of riding involved, expectations & ultimately price of horse.

Last edited:

Surbie

Visit site
Friend has settled on £3.5k & is focused more on finding a much-loved horse a good home.

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it - totally accept that the definition of happy hacker varies extensively and both sides need to be clear about what is meant.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i would suggest she puts a higher price as IMO she is worth more and someone may think that she is cheap, buy her and resell for £6,500.....her type are selling very quickly for good money especially if she can take a decent weight....i window shop quite a bit and she is what i would want, not too big,good bone and reliable out hacking and i can tell you they are not out there for less than £5000 unless they are tb or have physical problems..