Another which trailer thread??

Joyous70

Visit site
OK so im in the market for a new trailer.

Hoping to go and view Ifor Williams at the weekend, but I have also heard really good reviews on the Bateson trailers and would love to go and see one of these as well.

My car can tow up to 200kgs, (I hold B+E) I am towing one horse approx 15hh 500kgs, she is a bit of a stroppy madam, and bangs and stamps around quite a lot, so I want something substantial that is going to take her having a tantrum.

So what would you buy if you were in the market for a new trailer, I have heard good things about Nugent? but am reluctant to buy something a bit different, just in case I have issues with spares and servicing etc.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
I had a Bateson & replaced it with an Ifor. The Bateson doesn't even compare to the Ifor. The Ifor is a much newer model so not an 100% fair comparison. If your vehicle has the capacity I would go for the Ifor :)

asmp

Visit site
I had a Bateson & replaced it with an Ifor. The Bateson doesn't even compare to the Ifor. The Ifor is a much newer model so not an 100% fair comparison. If your vehicle has the capacity I would go for the Ifor :)

Same here - horse much happier travelling in my new Ifor

ROG

Visit site
What do you mean by that ? = capacity ?
To add to my post above ....

The OP states they have a 2000 towing capacity and one horse weighing 500 so if the trailer weighs 1000 empty they still have 500 spare

If the trailer has a plated MAM of say 3500 then that is not an issue

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Not sure where I have confused you. The OP asked which trailer we would choose. Providing it is compatible with my vehicle I would choose the Ifor- nothing was mention about weight?!

Last edited:

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Ability to tow/towing capacity.

I came on here to answer the OPs question regarding brand of trailer- not interested in having a debate about towing capacities.

Vanha12

Visit site
Loved my Bateson and was sad to see it go but upgraded to a lorry. If I went back to a trailer I would get another. They tow brilliantly and give a very smooth ride for the horse. They are also an excellent company to deal with.

sitting_pretty

Visit site
Another vote for Bateson - I have the same scenario as you with one horse and a 2000kg capacity. I've had my Deauville for 4 years and I definitely think I'd get another, also agree they are a friendly company to speak with.

jj_87

Visit site
to throw another spanner into the works look at the Nugent trailers if you can. We saw them at GYS lasat year and was really impressed.
I have an ifor which is great but if I was to change I would go with a Nugent. They really have thought about the design!

neddy man

Visit site
to throw another spanner into the works look at the Nugent trailers if you can. We saw them at GYS lasat year and was really impressed.
I have an ifor which is great but if I was to change I would go with a Nugent. They really have thought about the design!

Same here saw a nugent at GYS and was impressed, google them they have agents up and down the country,(The GYS one was nottingham based)

TheSylv007

www.ridewelland.co.uk
I really like my Bateson Ascot, roomy, bright and very quiet to tow. The tack locker at the front is a real bonus and Bateson as a company are great to deal with for spare parts etc (which is always good!). I'd have another.

Luci07

Visit site
Went for a Bateson over an Ifor for the following reasons. Seemed much lighter inside, more "basics" on rather than extras which can mount up (things like the reversing mirrors so you can hitch up solo, skylight etc etc). Also I preferred where Bateson situate their exit ramp (left hand/passenger side) as if anything happened, I wanted to be able to unload easily and not into a ditch. Ifor have their ramp on the other side and state that they believe that is safer but it really is down to personal choice. I also found Bateson enormously helpful with any queries (from tyre pressures to replacement ramp). I don't like single trailers as never think they look stable and give the impression of being cramped. However, my horses are always "big" so space is a big deal for me.

and please don't snap at ROG!. He is the fount of all knowledge when it comes to towing legally and has been an enormous help to this forum. I too read the post as citing weight rather than preference so please think before posting - it comes across as rude to an individual who has guided many of us through the minefield of towing weights and legalities. I for one, do not want ROG to flounce off taking his store of knowledge and expertise with him!

petsywetsy

Visit site
I have an Indespension. Fabulous, but they are not made anymore. One occasionally comes up for sale though - google and see if anything comes up.