Another 'which yard?' post

Moonpig23

Visit site
I've finally found my love of riding and confidence again and am really enjoying being around my horse! :)

However, whilst current yard has great hacking and big airy stable, the school is awful & the fields get knee deep in mud in winter. Am currently on the waiting list at a great yard but am 5th on the list and so may be waiting some time. Want to enjoy my horse in the school whilst it's still summer and don't want to be stuck where I am come winter. I commute 2 hours a day already (sometimes more when away from office) so don't want to be sitting in car for much more time either. On a fairly limited budget too, but could afford both of the below options. So, looking to move my horse for the foreseeable. May chose not to move to waiting list yard if I settle.

I do a bit of everything; hacking, schooling and some jumping but can struggle with my confidence. Do want to start getting out a bit more, hiring a horsebox and going out and about.

Option A:
- DIY
- Great floodlit school
- Small, fairly dingy stables (option to upgrade to bigger airy stables if one becomes available for extra £40pm)
- Great hacking
- Limited fields but ability to turnout 24/7 if required (she's a good doer so not fussed about lots of grass)
- Almost mud free in winter
- Not dog friendly (I have small dog but not a huge issue)
- 2 miles from home / 10 min drive
- Yard owner very chilled about everything
- Monthly bill inc hay, bedding, farrier etc would be approx £260 / £295 winter

Option B:
- Assisted DIY (turnout AM)
- Newly built yard - all liveries new too
- Amazing school (floodlights to be installed)
- American barn stables
- Okay hacking (could see myself getting bored of it quickly)
- Lots of fields so turnout not an issue
- Potential to be muddy in winter but well managed
- Dog friendly
- 7 miles from home (in wrong direction to work) / 15 min drive but potential for roads to be jammed at times too
- Yard owner lovely but may be a bit more full on than I'm used to
- Monthly bill inc hay, bedding, farrier etc approx £360 (all inclusive price wouldn't differ in winter)

I'm swaying towards Option A as I know it's fully established, already know someone there, is well within budget (and not likely to end up with big bill at end of month for extras!). I think the stables are putting me off a bit and the fact that the other yard is soooo pretty, pristine and lovely.

What would you choose if you were in my shoes?

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
A. If they can be out 24/7 then the stable wont be an issue. My yard is pretty much mud free. I was wearing trainers all winter its that dry and it makes such a huge difference to horse keeping!

be positive

Visit site
I would probably prefer A, well established, no mud, floodlit school, a fair bit cheaper, nearer and great hacking, yard B may look lovely now but you have no idea how it will really be managed, are the floodlights really going to happen,, higher cost, further away, not such good hacking.

As long as the stables in A are fit for purpose they should be fine, summer out 24/7, winter out every day, B may be posher but could start to restrict turnout to keep it looking that way.

Surbie

Visit site
Yard A - stable size doesn't matter if they aren't in it after all. And mud free is not to be underestimated.

mytwofriends

Visit site
Yard A all the way for me. An established yard is worth its weight in gold if it’s good, especially if you already know someone there. New yards are an unknown entity. There are almost always teething problems, and who knows what the YO/fellow liveries might have up their sleeves?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Yard A. A "full on" and new yard owner is enough to put me off yard B! Close to home, established and fab hacking are huge benefits. And if they can live out all year a small stable matters much less.