Another whopping thumbs up for Red Horse Products

paddy555

Visit site
I feel like the total odd one out as I don't use any of their hoof products. I have used hoof stuff a couple of times on someone's horse and it worked well on a very contracted heel but that is it.
I don't use anything at all on a daily basis.
I've found the most effective thing for frogs if they are starting to look manky is a copper sulphate scrub occasionally. That works better than iodine.
The riding horses get their feet wire brushed and cleaned when they are going out and the pasture pets get their feet cleaned when they are trimmed which can be a couple of months apart. The pasture pets who just live with mud compacted in their feet have just as good feet as those cleaned when ridden so benign neglect seems to work pretty well. In fact it is surprising that nature can do just as good a job as I can with a lot less effort.

Beyond that I don't own any hoof care products. I feel like a bad owner. :oops:

AFB

Visit site
I've used sole cleanse for a while & just ordered some field paste - my farrier recommends/stocks their products too

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I feel like the total odd one out as I don't use any of their hoof products. I have used hoof stuff a couple of times on someone's horse and it worked well on a very contracted heel but that is it.
I don't use anything at all on a daily basis.
I've found the most effective thing for frogs if they are starting to look manky is a copper sulphate scrub occasionally. That works better than iodine.
The riding horses get their feet wire brushed and cleaned when they are going out and the pasture pets get their feet cleaned when they are trimmed which can be a couple of months apart. The pasture pets who just live with mud compacted in their feet have just as good feet as those cleaned when ridden so benign neglect seems to work pretty well. In fact it is surprising that nature can do just as good a job as I can with a lot less effort.

Beyond that I don't own any hoof care products. I feel like a bad owner. :oops:

Same as me Paddy, I only go to Red Horse when I have something that peroxide or copper sulphate won't fix.

KJ94

Visit site
Sorry just came across this thread, anyone tried the soul cleanse for flushing out abcess holes? (Abcess cleared) or is it more for thrush?

Bernster

Visit site
The sole cleanse spray? I’d prob use hoof stuff to pack into a hole but the spray has worked well for me for thrush in the frog.

NR88

Visit site
Thank you! Just ordered that and the hoof stuff!

That is the pairing that I used. Once it had burst and was flushing through, I used a syringe with warm water initially on vet advice, then I used sole cleanse from the spray bottle around the area. The horse was stood on clean hard ground to dry after that. Once dry I packed the track with Hoof Stuff.

KJ94

Visit site
That is the pairing that I used. Once it had burst and was flushing through, I used a syringe with warm water initially on vet advice, then I used sole cleanse from the spray bottle around the area. The horse was stood on clean hard ground to dry after that. Once dry I packed the track with Hoof Stuff.

How did you find it? Any tips on application? Yeah the abscess has drained just left a hole I don’t want to fill up with anything bad!

NR88

Visit site
How did you find it? Any tips on application? Yeah the abscess has drained just left a hole I don’t want to fill up with anything bad!

It was a few years ago now that the horse abscessed badly so I can't remember exactly. The vague routine was to remove poultice, flush the abscess track with warm water in a syringe, lightly dry with paper towels then spray area with Sole Cleanse (I didn't flush it down the tract) and leave horse standing in clean, dry concrete surface to "air" while I mucked out. The abscess was so bad that horse was box rested, my preference is to have them out and moving. Once stable was done and hoof was dry I allowed a fresh poultice.

Once I had 3 clean poultices I started using Hoof Stuff to pack the exit hole in the frog. I used nappies and a lot of duct tape for turnout. As it dried and healed I stopped using Sole Cleanse on that Hoof.

I did use Sole Cleanse and Field Paste on the other three hooves while on box rest. Field Paste worked better than Sole Paste imo for box rest. I have used Sole Cleanse and Field Paste ad hoc for years to keep thrush at bay in wet weather (mud)

Edited- I would check with your vet first. I wouldn't normally put anything onto/into an abscess and would simply tub with Epsom salts. However this specfic abscess was tricky and quite severe so a different tact was used.