Another WWYD!

vannersrus

Visit site
I have an elderly gelding who I am going to retire next year.
He is currently at home with loads of grass , stabled when necessary and a small pony companion. They rely on each other but despite being together for 5 years there is not a lot of interaction between them and they are often at opposite ends of a 6 acre field.
I have the opportunity to retire him to fairly large group of geldings on a very large acreage with natural shelter. He came from this set up years ago when we first got him .
I wonder if he would be happier with a bigger group of boys in his retirement.
He is often seen looking wistfully into the distance in his current set up.
At the moment his every need is met immediately - in a large group further from home this wouldn’t be the case .
Would you move him ? Am I overthinking? I would keep the little pony at home and get her a small friend .

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
If you think it’s the best solution, then do it. Mine ignores other horses and was best mates with another cob he was regularly turned out/caught in with. If they live out, maybe they just ignore each other?

vannersrus

Visit site
It’s difficult knowing what would make him happier once he’s not working any more - my gut feels he’d be better in a gang but then he may find it tough to adjust ?

rextherobber

Visit site
How far away is the herd turnout? Is it a retirement livery miles away, or near enough for you to check him yourself? You could always bring him home if it didn't work out.

vannersrus

Visit site
It’s not that I want him to go away - his needs are paramount. I just look at him sometimes and think would he be happier with more mates - though I appreciate with that may come conflict ?

rextherobber

Visit site
It’s not that I want him to go away - his needs are paramount. I just look at him sometimes and think would he be happier with more mates - though I appreciate with that may come conflict ?
I know how you feel, I keep my horse with one other, and they sort of tolerate one another, I've never seen any mutual grooming or playing, yet I know she has behaved that way with a previous field mate, so feel she's missing out...Could you keep 3 at home, if you decided he needed to return, if you tried him with herd turnout? If you can, then I'd definitely try it, once/if he retires.

Asha

Visit site
As hes elderley now, maybe he just prefers a quiet life. Just because they dont interact too often doesnt make either of them unhappy. If he was looking depressed / stressed etc id look at changing things. But given he sounds ok and hes in good health id leave as it. Sometimes we can over think these things-i know im guilty of the same.

EventingMum

Visit site
I'm going to stick my neck out here and say his current setup sounds perfect in that you are on hand for everything and he has company. My old boy was always in a herd until he was injured during some shenanigans and was actually knocked over, I moved him to a field with another older pony and he is quite happy as far as I can tell. They aren't glued to each other's sides and quite often he just stands gazing into the distance and other times will have a canter round but most of the time they graze quietly. I think the bigger herd was just too much for him and he actually prefers things now.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
My elderly mare is at home with my gelding and a friend’s horse. I thought of sending her somewhere on a track retirement but this is her home and it’s all set up to revolve around them. As she’s got older and more arthritic she tends to stay away from the others and any squabbles. She just potters about doing her own thing. So I’m quite glad I did keep her at home..