Another Yard WWYD?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
So I am tentatively looking at alternative yards at the moment and have found one which seems to tick a lot of boxes, but then does have some downsides. I am conflicted so WWYD if you were me?
Background: My horse is a big boy and does have legs which fill if he is stood in too long, this is managed. We mainly school/dressage and do some hacking, our current hacking is amazing as on the downs but we don't use this as it's all quite overwhelming for him right now.

Current:
- £120 pcm, £50 for hay bale - completely DIY no manager etc, but can pay someone £3 to bring in/turnout,
- Truly AYTO, completely self managed but in assigned fields though so depends on who else is in your herd. Some people don't manage their fields and so it get trashed.
- School is super deep and has rabbit holes in/membrane is starting to come up. Rideable but I don't feel comfortable in it as I know how damaging a bad surface can be. Drains well but freezes.
- Hacking around the farm, can have a few canters and on the Downs which we don't currently use.
- Airy stable, good size but faces away from most other horses. His neighbour is usually turned out all of the time.
- 15 miles from home

Potential Yard:
- £238 assisted livery, £35 hay - services available
- 4pm - 9am pairs turnout in summer, restricted to a few hours in trash paddock in winter - can also turnout on gallops, in round pen, put on walker etc. Can pay to have him put out for a few hours. I know that mentally Jacob would be fine, but it's how physically detrimental this would be.
- Has a horse walker, hot wash, solarium, round pen and 7 furlong gallops.
- School surface is amazing, same size as current, very well maintained - doesn't freeze/flood.
- Hacking is bridle paths, can get to some local commons, some quiet roadwork (this isn't the end of the world to me). Very steady hacking companions available too.
- Can hack to two large show centres (I don't have transport).
- Huge stable on a U shaped yard, with great lockable storage space.
- 20 miles from home, but would only need to go one end of the day.

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
The second yard would depend on how much you actually ride, because in the winter it sounds like you would need to ride pretty much every day.

Personally I always have my horses out overnight in the summer and in during the day and I reckon this would be the major sticking point for me.

TPO

Visit site
I would keep looking

Yard 2 is a hike in cost, which might well be affordable/not an issue, but as turnout is a priority this yard doesnt seem suitable.

Does your horse pair bond and/or what if horse no.2 does? I personally dont like individual turnout but turnout in twos negates any +ves of individual with the potential for a LOT of issues both with horse no.2 and the owner.

You're then paying more to for a turnout service for a "few" hours turnout. So at the mercy of someone else's opinion of adequate. I went to an assisted yard and was advised turnout 8.30-4 year round only to find out via other liveries (& a very trashed stable complete with hungry and thirsty horse ?) that horses weren't going out until after 10/11 & back in by 1.

I think you need to keep looking for somewhere with more suitable turnout for you and your horse.

9tails

Visit site
Turnout in summer is disappointing for the potential yard, are they short of grazing? If so, are you absolutely certain he'll get any turnout at all in winter? How many times have we heard these promises but the reality is a lot different? I'd work hard on getting him better at going out on the downs personally.

Reactions: TPO

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
I'm another who would keep looking.

Yard 2 sounds lovely but not for the lack of turn out you sound like you're going to get.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Thanks for the replies!

Yard 2 is affordable so no issues there, Jacob has also previously been on paired turnout for a long period of time and it didn't change his demeanour at all so that would be ok. A friend of mine loans horse of the person I would share a field with so I know that she is really nice and amicable, and I also know that what they have said about the yard is true. I would move in a heartbeat but it is just the winter turnout I am worried about.

I am in the South East and it is really tricky to find yards here which are DIY as most are part or full, so this really narrows down my search. The turnout isn't ideal but then if I ride for 4 days a week in a school which is deep and has holes in it, am I going to end up with a broken horse sooner rather than later?

doodle

Visit site
Keep looking, I would want more turnout than that. But about the legs swelling - Robins legs do too. Completely fixed by feeding Feedmark’s no fill. When he first comes in overnight he gets the full dose (3 scoops) which I reduce to 2 after a month or so then reduce to 1 for a month or so and then stop it.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
The second yard would depend on how much you actually ride, because in the winter it sounds like you would need to ride pretty much every day.

Personally I always have my horses out overnight in the summer and in during the day and I reckon this would be the major sticking point for me.

I ride 5-6 days a week, but could ride everyday if necessary, this wouldn't bother me too much. I have edited my original post as it should have said that they are out from 4pm - 9am so overnight.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Keep looking. I'm SE and really struggled to find the right turnout for J, I nearly jumped at a few yards, even though they were fairly far away, but OH said to wait and he was right. The yard we are at doesn't have hot wash etc. but does have the grazing and friends J needed and is less than 2 miles away from home.

ihatework

Visit site
I ride 5-6 days a week, but could ride everyday if necessary, this wouldn't bother me too much. I have edited my original post as it should have said that they are out from 4pm - 9am so overnight.

Ah in that case it would change things. As long as the horse is doing enough work and you can top up with a leg stretch on the walker, most adapt to a few hours turnout during winter.

9tails

Visit site
The summer turnout changes things dramatically! It sounds like you're really keen and ready for winter hardship so go for it.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I am completely conflicted to be honest. All I want is DIY or assisted, turnout, a good school, and some hacking whatever form that may come in. Anything above and beyond that is just a bonus.

I am willing to do the work to make the winter turnout situation work, but I am just wondering whether I am going to turn up everyday and feel sorry for him, knowing that there is another 2 months to go before they are back to normal. But then again, working a horse on a bad surface (and schooling/dressage is what I enjoy) is going to break them. I feel like I am needing to choose the lesser of two evils.

(Yes we do do some schooling out hacking but this is also subject to the ground being okay - work on bicycles will commence once I have sourced one, so the Downs could become more of an option).

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
I'm another who would be slightly more swayed by the turn out if you're out over night through the summer. I know how frustrating it can be to have a less than ideal surface, but I don't know how I personally would cope with the limited turn out in winter. Many have and do, I've probably just been very lucky and am a bit 'spoilt!'

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I can see why it's tricky, for me it would be how many hours in a trash paddock? And for how many months that tends to be for.
We had 6 hours out winter, they came in at 2pm, that hadn't been made clear and YO was v. much I want them out whatever the weather when I looked which was important to me too. I would rather they had stayed out and it did mean that I made the effort for him to be exercised 4 afternoons/evening in the week - A sharer did 2 days as she could hack in the daylight as as an oldie I didn't want to do too much schoolwork.
If you are happy to do the extra I would move. I wouldn't school on a shit surface. Also going from field only to a nice school made a massive difference to us even in old age!

9tails

Visit site
If you're concerned about a dodgy school surface, you'll be horrified at a trash paddock! I've seen them knee deep and not something I'd like to put my horse out in.

Sugar Plum

Visit site
Although not quite the same as you, I am looking for part livery and everything I have been to visit have tiny all year paddocks that will never support a horse for a whole year and stables that don’t like they have had care in a long time or the layout is completely unsuitable for horses.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
If you're concerned about a dodgy school surface, you'll be horrified at a trash paddock! I've seen them knee deep and not something I'd like to put my horse out in.

this is a very good point that I hadn’t considered - I think this is the tipping point as it’s on clay so the trash paddocks will look similar to the Somme I should think. Such a shame as it’s a highly thought of yard so would have been lovely.

I’ll continue to keep an eye out, or get some transport once the horse has stopped accruing unforeseen bills.. whichever comes first ? other than the school surface I am actually very happy here so I am lucky in that respect. We are incredibly lucky to have the turnout/hacking/freedom to self manage that we do.

tiahatti

Visit site
As 9tails said I have seen some truly awful mud bogs that are called winter turnout.
What do other liveries think about the current school? Can anything be done to improve it?

HobleytheTB

Visit site
What part of the South East are you in? There's a fair few yards around me that either don't have websites, or typically fill gaps via word of mouth rather than advertising. Someone here may be able to point you towards a suitable yard!

Muddywellies

Visit site
I can see the issues with yard 1 and the draw of yard 2. Depends on your own ambitions tho. Are you looking to progress up through the levels and needing super smart facilities? Remember, 'all that glitters isn't gold'.
Also add onto the increased price of yard 2, the additional fuel cost and I'm guessing a round trip of at least 1 1/2 hours. Round it up to 12 hours a week, simply sat behind the wheel. In this day and age where we are all trying to reduce commute times, for me personally, that would be a non starter.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
What part of the South East are you in? There's a fair few yards around me that either don't have websites, or typically fill gaps via word of mouth rather than advertising. Someone here may be able to point you towards a suitable yard!

I am in Worthing, happy to look at anything within 20 miles or so.

As 9tails said I have seen some truly awful mud bogs that are called winter turnout.
What do other liveries think about the current school? Can anything be done to improve it?

Lots of them agree and try not to use it much, a few of them have transport so they can ride elsewhere and some others hack more than I do. I’m not sure what the others think. I don’t think too much can be done without huge spends, I have read that we shouldn’t Harrow it unless it’s rained and other than plug the holes with top surface I don’t have any other ideas.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
this is a very good point that I hadn’t considered - I think this is the tipping point as it’s on clay so the trash paddocks will look similar to the Somme I should think. Such a shame as it’s a highly thought of yard so would have been lovely.

I’ll continue to keep an eye out, or get some transport once the horse has stopped accruing unforeseen bills.. whichever comes first ? other than the school surface I am actually very happy here so I am lucky in that respect. We are incredibly lucky to have the turnout/hacking/freedom to self manage that we do.
Clay is very hard on hooves and soles, especially if it freezes. One of mine was so unhappy on soppy wet clay he started to refuse to come through the gate way. It was deep and tendon pulling potential. When it froze it was unuesable.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I am in Worthing, happy to look at anything within 20 miles or so.

Lots of them agree and try not to use it much, a few of them have transport so they can ride elsewhere and some others hack more than I do. I’m not sure what the others think. I don’t think too much can be done without huge spends, I have read that we shouldn’t Harrow it unless it’s rained and other than plug the holes with top surface I don’t have any other ideas.
Anyone have a 4 wheel drive that can tow a chain harrow round and then a roller. You will have to prob dig the corners out to start and see if you can get a rota going. Aim to try and buy a golf grader if you can between the yard?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Anyone have a 4 wheel drive that can tow a chain harrow round and then a roller. You will have to prob dig the corners out to start and see if you can get a rota going. Aim to try and buy a golf grader if you can between the yard?

I believe we do have a roller somewhere, but unfortunately the number of people with a 4x4 are bizarrely low for a yard! And some of those with them don’t much use the school.
What is a golf grader? Google isn’t throwing up many results

ETA: could I pull a leveller with a car that isn’t a 4x4 or is that asking for trouble?

Last edited: