Answers on a postcard...?!

Cedars

Visit site
So, this is Puzzle's near hind....

IMG_3081.jpg

Its the purple bit, right on the heel bulb, you're looking at - the blobs aren't scabby, just colourations of the hoof.

The purple bit is warm, squishy, and under the skin - its not scabby (apart from the natural roughness of her hoof).

She is not lame on it, but she is very cross at me when I want to pick it up, and she is resting it more than usual. Two days ago, I thought she had a fetlock problem as she was putting the toe down first, then 'snapping' her fetlock into place. However, this stopped and she's not walking on her toe.

Farrier is out tomorrow! Just interested in opinions. Box of chocs for anyone who gets the right answer tomorrow?! x

Cedars

Visit site
I only noticed it as there was a fair amount of 'gunk' on the hair just above the purple blob. Until this morning she had a lot of feathers! Its only when I cut them and then shaved it that I really noticed it.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I reckon she has bruised it too, and the gunk is from the skin being agitated so to speak from the knock.

cptrayes

Visit site
Looks like a typical overreach wound to me. But it's on a hind foot. So if he is turned out with others, I'd say it's a tread injury from someone else, alos quite common.

Can i have Thorntons original please :)

ester

Visit site
I'd guess she did it to herself while having that tantrum, and I think you said on the lameness vids that she had a bruise. I'd imagine the reason the skin isn't properly broken is because of the ugg boots ;)

Cedars

Visit site
That was two weeks ago though.... its only just started bleeding? (or not really bleeding...more 'gunking')

ester

Visit site
have you only just clipped the leg.

My guess would be that she aggrevated the skin which has caused a mud fever-like (could be any similar bug!)/greasy heel reaction that has taken a while (ie the 2 weeks) to develop/has been festering under her feathers. (bacteria are very opportunistic!) If so it will likely clear up now clipped or with some sudocreme and sulphur ;)

Cedars

Visit site
I clipped it because I saw the gunk rather than the other way round :)

The farrier will tell me tomorrow :)

Cedars

Visit site
My poor baby, she's busted her stifle on her off hind, this is on her near hind, and in the armpit of her near fore is a mini boob from a tick/insect bite! Her off fore is holding its own ATM. But I wonder what the morning will bring!!

Cedars

Visit site
Well, if youd said MUD FEVER you'd have been right.... And if you said an ABSCESS/INFECTION... You'd have been right!

The light pink patches are the start of mud fever :( and the dark purple blob on the heel bulb is a nice big infection she's brewing. Currently not technically an abscess so we just need to wait for her to fight the infection herself.

Her tendon sheath is all inflamed bless her :( which is why she's sore and not herself.

So the plan of action is to scalp all her feathers and hair, hibiscrub, dry and Sudocrem. With regards to the lameness on her off hind, its possible this is all linked. She'll have a week off the field now, in her dry box, and then we'll see.

X

ester

Visit site
If you can get some I would advise adding some sulphur powder to the sudocreme, it makes it more antibac.