Antique Bit - answers on a postcard please

S_N

Visit site
So, has anyone ever seen a bit like this? We've had it for YEARS. It's rather complicated and TINY!! The mouth piece is 4 inches wide!! I think I've worked out how it goes in the mouth, but does any recognise it? Know it origins? We think Spanish, but not sure....

The pen is 6 inches, for scale
antiquebit006.jpg

antiquebit002.jpg

antiquebit004.jpg

antiquebit003.jpg

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
no idea, Where on earth is the mouth piece?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol! the bit folds in the middle and I believe that bit goes in the mouth - not entirely sure though!! It has keys and rollers on it too! I've circled the bit that bends and I think this goes in the mouth - though I really have NO idea!!

antiquebit002-1.jpg

S_N

Visit site
LMAO!! It does look hideous doesn't it! We think it's VERY, VERY old, like 100's of years! Where are PF and Weezy - they might have seen something like this??

Claireg9

Visit site
hopefully they will as im intrigued now!!!
I just thought it looked quite extravagant like the driving bits tend to be!
No old tarnished names or symbols left on it anywhere?

sevenoceans

Visit site
can it be spanish breaking bit cos i went to tack shop the other day and saw what looks like a bit with metal going over the nose.... bit like this but almost half of it. completed with head piece... I have lived in spain for long time when i was little they had all sorts of barbic breaking bits I dread to remember them.... thanks for reminder!!

k9h

Visit site
I would say Druid has put it the right way up & I would think the loop at the top acts like a tongue tie to stop it from going over the top?

S_N

Visit site
Yeah, that's the way round I figured it went - odd having the mouth pieces in 2 totally different areas. I should have shown this to you B when you were here!

Wonder where we could find out it's origins though......

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Blimey that's weird looking! It sort of looks like a combination bit; a curb and then the round bit looks like a kind of breaking bit I've seen here, that goes in the mouth and under the chin (like a chifney)... I have no idea if I'm right though!

S_N

Visit site
SHITE - Just snorted wine all over the keyboard!! LMAO - yes, but they are safely back in the trunk on top the wardrobe in my Grandmother's bedroom!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
SN, you're not supposed to inhale it!! Were you using a straw? *giggling ensues*
Promise to show you the proper way to open and drink a bottle of wine when you get out here. I bet you've never drunk from one of those leather gourd thingies, have you??

S_N

Visit site
LMAO!! NO, not using a straw!!! actually I have drunk out of one of those - I seem to remember it being an EXTREMELY messy affair......
crazy.gif
blush.gif