antis will have a field day.....

buzzles

Visit site
https://www.facebook.com/justiceforisabelle?hc_location=timeline
A terrible thing to happen but goes to show the power of social media. I wonder how often this happens? I've heard of it happening before. The brays are a drag pack but still gives people an excuse to call for hunting to be banned. I do hunt a bit with a drag pack, more because I feel it's good for the horses (teaches them to be brave, have manners etc) than I actually enjoy it that much, but would be devastated if this happened to my dog. I think Ireland will be following England soon with the banning of hunting live animals, although it wouldn't have made a difference in this case.

Doormouse

Visit site
I do feel desperately sorry that poor little dog and her owners, it must have been devastating.

I have hunted all my life and know that incidents like this are very rare as hounds are generally good with domestic dogs. Clearly not in this instance sadly.

Pro or anti hunting, no one would wish this on a dog and it's family.

Clodagh

Visit site
It is odd in your hgeading to say the antis will have a field day - so I assume you are pro hunting and think this was acceptable? Odd view.
I am pro - usually! - but this was a desperately sad event and the hunt should be bending over backwards to make this awful situation as good as it can be. All the suspect hounds involved should be shot.
Is there room in our crowded world for out of control packs of large dogs?

buzzles

Visit site
I've only ever hunted with a drag pack and like I said it was only really for the benefit of the horses, I don't particularly enjoy it as much as other equestrian disciplines. That said I'm not anti-hunting, as I do think it has it's place in rural communities. It was a horrible incident (by a drag pack) and I'm not sure what the implications are. I was quite shocked though by some of the facebook comments- a lot of very ignorant and aggressive views, and a lot of Sab/Anti groups giving their support. I just think it was highlighted to a very widespread audience through social media where as before it might have gone unreported. I have heard of two other similar incidences and was wondering if anyone else had- is this sort of thing more common than we realise? I was also noting that Ireland will probably follow after England by bringing in a ban. The Ward union incident where the pack followed a stag through a school playground ultimately led to the banning of stag hunting over here.

Clodagh

Visit site
Well what was a drag pack doing hunting in someones garden? The (normal) hunt met here last week. Now I wouldn't want hounds in my garden and was appalled at tea afterwards to hear that someone was very put out because several hounds had got into a mans garden and he became very abusive - apparently the man was entirely in the wrong!

marianne1981

Visit site
How awful, poor dog and poor family. There was a post about this pretty recently- "meeting the hounds whilst dog walking". People use the "foxes attacking children" thing all the time... how long will it be before hounds attack a small child in a situation like this? I am sure that even this did happen, as unlikely as it would be, that you would still try and defend it and say it was an isolated incident. The very title of this post says alot doesnt it, as someone else mentioned, it is implied that only an anti would disapprove of a pet dog being mauled to death by the hunt and that all pro's will excuse it.

MiniMilton

Visit site
As this is a drag pack I don't think the pro/anti argument has anything to do with it. I used to hunt with this pack and do recall once getting abuse hurled at us by people who couldn't quite understand that we never actually saw a fox. So some of the comments on the facebook page are pointless.

It is a tragic incident nonetheless and I know someone that was on that hunt so will try to find out more. Unfortunately if my memory serves me correctly, this has happened in the past with them too.

respectedpony driver

Visit site
What a dreadful thing to happen poor soul and poor family.Hunts have very little control over the dogs,you as a responsible person should have full control over your dog at all times when out in public why should that not include hunts.It is wrong to chase one animal with another animal for fun.You should all be ashamed of yourselves

buzzles

Visit site
Maybe I worded the title wrong, what I meant was I was quite shocked by the comments from people who are against hunting which were very aggressive, irrational and ignorant and even if pro hunters tried express their sympathy and explain the facts they were shot down ie it was a drag pack and in fact traditionally a harrier pack so wouldn't have even been chasing foxes as most comments seemed to think and banning the hunting of live animals would not have prevented this from happening. Of course the pros aren't going to be any less upset by the death of this poor dog, it was a horrible thing to happen but I've never really had experience of this radical mob mentality so was quite shocked by it.
I wasn't out on with them but apparently they were going along the road and two hounds broke away and I don't know whether the little dog was out, or they saw it in the garden but they chased it and one of them grabbed it around the middle and punctured it's lung. I think they separated them quickly and got hounds under control but obviously poor dog had no hope so sadly died.
It absolutely should NOT have happened and the offending hounds should be dealt with. The brays are not popular in the area, it's a very built up area just south of Dublin and really not suitable for large packs of hounds. They don't let local people know when they're going to meet in the area and the route they're going, if you knew at least you could lock up your dogs. This isn't the first time this has happened, just this time it's been posted on facebook hence the backlash. I wonder is the way forward for drag packs to just get rid of the hounds, drags already follow a planned route and I've been on 'mock hunts' run by pony club and riding clubs and hunt canters with no hounds but across country and similar jumps etc and have actually enjoyed myself more than the few times I went drag hunting. I don't know what the repercussions are going to be but I think hunting in Ireland is going to have to change.

Clodagh

Visit site
Fair enough, that sounds more balanced!
Hounds absolutely should not riot on a dog, whether they are hunting fox, sock or hare so I imagine this hunt is bad news all round. Arrogance does hunting more harm than any other thing, IMO.

MiniMilton

Visit site
Maybe I worded the title wrong, what I meant was I was quite shocked by the comments from people who are against hunting which were very aggressive, irrational and ignorant and even if pro hunters tried express their sympathy and explain the facts they were shot down ie it was a drag pack and in fact traditionally a harrier pack so wouldn't have even been chasing foxes as most comments seemed to think and banning the hunting of live animals would not have prevented this from happening. Of course the pros aren't going to be any less upset by the death of this poor dog, it was a horrible thing to happen but I've never really had experience of this radical mob mentality so was quite shocked by it.
I wasn't out on with them but apparently they were going along the road and two hounds broke away and I don't know whether the little dog was out, or they saw it in the garden but they chased it and one of them grabbed it around the middle and punctured it's lung. I think they separated them quickly and got hounds under control but obviously poor dog had no hope so sadly died.
It absolutely should NOT have happened and the offending hounds should be dealt with. The brays are not popular in the area, it's a very built up area just south of Dublin and really not suitable for large packs of hounds. They don't let local people know when they're going to meet in the area and the route they're going, if you knew at least you could lock up your dogs. This isn't the first time this has happened, just this time it's been posted on facebook hence the backlash. I wonder is the way forward for drag packs to just get rid of the hounds, drags already follow a planned route and I've been on 'mock hunts' run by pony club and riding clubs and hunt canters with no hounds but across country and similar jumps etc and have actually enjoyed myself more than the few times I went drag hunting. I don't know what the repercussions are going to be but I think hunting in Ireland is going to have to change.

I think one of the problems is the Brays have lost a huge amount of "hunting" ground to the ridiculous amounts of houses built during the boom. This is leading to the pack becoming unpopular. Some of the nicest hunts were along grounds that are now entirely housing estates and office parks. This is probably leading them to have to make do with going through more built up areas. I'm not excusing the death of this poor little dog. But it seems to appear to be a tragic accident.

Because this incident occurred there are people calling for hunting to be banned and this is just silly. There is an enclosed dog run in a local park to me. There have been incidents where small dogs have been savaged by larger ones. People aren't requesting the ban of enclosed dog runs.

There should be stricter regulations, where the local residents should be thoroughly informed well in advance of a hunt coming through. And just for the record i'm not a pro hunt person, but neither am I an anti. I've never been on a foxhunt and never will. But it irritates me to see so many comments on the facebook slating them for hunting animals when that is never their intention.

But I guess on the flip side, as this has happened a few times before, I do wonder if these hounds are poorly trained and handled

Last edited:

Countryman

Visit site
Absolutely unacceptable for hounds to riot on a dog. However, it should be remembered this is an incredibly rare event to occur (though perhaps more likely in this case, partly due to rural Ireland's nature-rather than houses being clustered in avoidable villages, they are often strung out across the countryside, making it easier for hounds to enter gardens) and also by the fact that it is a drag pack and so perhaps -though I do not know the details of this case-has rather less funds, and employs just a single member of staff, resulting in less contact with hounds and less control of the pack.

However, I would point out to all that it is extremely rare for an incident such as this to occur; when they do, it is frequently widely reported across local, national, mainstream and social media, advertised by anti organisations such as the LACS and even featured in films about hunting made by the antis. The fact that we so rarely hear of these incidents, despite the fact that there are over 500 packs of hounds in Britain and Ireland, going out 3 days a week hunting across the countryside, bears testament to the unlikelihood of this occurring.

Indeed, a pack foxhound is probably the safest dog you could hope for. I would much rather have a foxhound from a registered pack in my garden or around a child than any other type of dog, because frankly they are the safest kind. When you consider that every year in the UK there are tens of millions of incidents where dogs bite other dogs, and indeed hundreds of thousands of incidents when dogs bite people, it is a testament to the foxhounds excellent temperament, training, biddability and friendliness that it is extremely rare for any of these incidents to involve foxhounds.
This is a deliberate, bred-for feature; for hundreds of years, these hounds have been bred to be biddable, well trained and not to riot on anything but their quarry species. Hounds that bite humans or go for other dogs would not have been kept, let alone bred from.

Hairy Old Cob

Visit site
What a dreadful thing to happen poor soul and poor family.Hunts have very little control over the dogs,you as a responsible person should have full control over your dog at all times when out in public why should that not include hunts.It is wrong to chase one animal with another animal for fun.You should all be ashamed of yourselves

Another foal me wonders

Do you have Dogs have you always been in full control of them? I have No doubt the Hunt are absolutely mortified about what has happened, and will be all they are doing to make a terrible situation better! Chasing one animal by another is Nature

buzzles

Visit site
minimilton- I think you're right, they're just running out of land and with houses dotted all over the place they are coming into contact with the public more. There are a lot of changes in the Brays this year with new huntsmen and whips so maybe that's led to problems with the hounds. I think their ongoing animosity with the East Wicklow is not helping their case either, there's not really enough land for the two hunts and that's part of the reason the meets/routes aren't advertised as such. You're right, there are way more incidents of pet dogs fighting but I think this sort of tragic accident does give those opposed to hunting more fuel so to speak. However hounds, as large hunting dogs who are in a pack need to be a lot more disciplined, obedient and under control than your average pet dog and to be fair as countryman said, this hopefully does seem to an isolated incident in relation to the number of hunts who hunt every week and most hounds are very well trained and under control. I would imagine with the use of social media like facebook and forums that when it does happen there's no hiding it!

marianne1981

Visit site
These sorts of incidences are certainly on the up, as others have said, probably to do with social media, it is not uncommon to hear unpleasant stories of pet cats being mauled to death by hounds too. It's more common than the hunts would have you know.

Countryman

Visit site
These sorts of incidences are certainly on the up, as others have said, probably to do with social media, it is not uncommon to hear unpleasant stories of pet cats being mauled to death by hounds too. It's more common than the hunts would have you know.

Marianne, I don't particularly believe we are hearing more of these stories nowadays than we did in the past. Supposing you were true though, it would surely be due to the Hunting Ban? Hounds bred to hunt a live quarry will surely get frustrated when they are required to hunt a trail scent and with no reward, never finding any animal at the end of it, never seeing anything. It must be very confusing for hounds at the moment.

Clodagh

Visit site
We had the minkhounds here in the summer and a lady up in the village a couple of miles from where they were drawing lost her cat. Very sad, I agree. She told me the hounds had killed her cat so I was appalled and asked if she had been in touch with the masters, and offered their phone number. Turns out the cat had been run over, and not even by a hunt follower, and it was nowhere near where hounds were. So, unless they had a couple of hounds who had learned to drive I can't see the hunt could be blamed for that incident.
I suppose I am agreeing that events like any pet animal being killed is 100% unacceptable but also people like to blame the hunt for everything.

Starbucks

Visit site
That is very sad and I would be furious / devastated if it was my dog, but I think it is just one of those things that unfortunately happen in this big bad world! How many little dogs get killed by other pet dogs just out on walks / in the park etc.? I think generally hounds behave fantastically but if you have 30 dogs running around loose there is going to be the odd incident even if rare.

marianne1981

Visit site
Unlikely I know, but has anyone thought about the possibility that this could happen to a small child? What if when the hounds had ran riot, there had been a very young child just about walking age in the garden with the little dog, if this was ever to happen heaven forbid, would you still say it was an isolated incident and that things like that are bound to happen? How far does it go (just interested to hear!)

marianne1981

Visit site
Also, only last week a pet alpaca was attacked and killed by hounds-these are the kinds of things never published as H&H news. Why do the majority (I am not saying all) just blindly follow what your family has taught you about hunting, you will defend it til the end but you have simply got to try and see this from another perspective. Question what you are taught is right! How many of you would still support it blindly if Isabelle had been your dog, or cat, or horse mauled to death? What a rotten way to go.

Starbucks

Visit site
Yes but it never ever has been a small child has it. I don't know why people say that. Different dogs are bread to kill different animals it doesn't mean they are going to savage children.

The point is dogs attack other dogs, small animals and livestock all the time. I don't hear anyone proposing to ban walking your dog incase it fights with another dog, kills a cat or bites a kid.

Let's ban all hunting with dogs then (including blood hounds, trail and drag hunts) shoot all the hounds. Would that be better?

Countryman

Visit site
Yes but it never ever has been a small child has it. I don't know why people say that. Different dogs are bread to kill different animals it doesn't mean they are going to savage children.

The point is dogs attack other dogs, small animals and livestock all the time. I don't hear anyone proposing to ban walking your dog incase it fights with another dog, kills a cat or bites a kid.

Let's ban all hunting with dogs then (including blood hounds, trail and drag hunts) shoot all the hounds. Would that be better?

Marianne - any proof, at all to back up the accusation you are making about hounds and an Alpaca last week? I somehow doubt such an event occurred a week ago...

Starbucks - it appears Marianne will not be happy until all dogs have been put down-after all, your average dog is much more likely to attack an alpaca/another dog/bite a person than a hound...

marianne1981

Visit site
It was on the Sheffield Forum, last week, I thought what a horrible thing to happen but didnt write on here about it, but when I heard it had happened again this time to a dog I just had to join this discussion. I do not wish all dogs to be put down-thats like saying, if one person commits murder then all of us should be killed (just a silly comparison!) To Starbucks- the huntsman of this hunt was very obviously out of control of his hounds, I know this is not the case with most hunts, but this sort of thing does give you ALL a very bad name and doesnt help your cause at all. In my opinion, it is only a matter of time before this happens to a child in the wrong place at the wrong time in a similar situation and while on one hand god forbid it, on the other it would probably ban hunting with hounds in this country for good. You say different dogs are bred to kill different animals, then why do hounds go for cats and other dogs in this case (as they did pre-ban)?

MiniMilton

Visit site
Marianne1981 I disagree. I have a German shepherd that happily kills and eats rabbits and hares that she catches. She has also attacked a small dog. She would probably kill a strange cat it they didn't claw her face first. Yet she is family pet that plays gently with small children. She is able to tell the difference between small animals and humans, no matter how small they are. I'm not pro-hunting but I don't see hounds attaching a dog as a stepping stone to hounds attacking a child. Its a tragic event to occur but large dogs attack small dogs and other small animals all the time.

Clodagh

Visit site
I think, as a fence sitter about hunting, the usual is happening here - the pros will not even consider there is anything wrong with up to 30 + large 'dogs' running out of control in a pack. Come on peeps, be fair to the antis, they do have a brain!!
Also, the usual 'lets shoot all the hounds argument' well about 99.9% of hounds are shot anyway, and as relatively young animals so that has never washed as a defence. If a huntsman cannot control his hounds, and they kill another animal other than the quarry species, they should never have the opportunity to do it again. In the old days, when I hunted, if hounds rioted on deer they were beaten the first time and shot or drafted the second. In sheep country I imagine that is even more important. It is WRONG for them to not follow orders.
Last season the hunt came through our farmyard while cubbing. I had let my chickens out and the young hounds started chasing them. It was only because I was there next to them I stopped them killing my hens. That was wrong. My hens are my pets and I would have been upset. If they had killed my dog I would have been devastated and probably never get over it.

Thats not aimed at you, MB, I agree it is unlikely beyond belief that a hound would kill a child. If a small child was in the garden with the dog though would they ever recover from seeing it ripped to pieces?