Anxious TB

aimsroan

Visit site
Hi all, in a bit of a pickle here.

I’ve recently sold my horse and bought another, this one is a bit different.. she’s an 8yo purebred TB mare 16.1hh. She’s gorgeous and well built etc. The problem is, she gets ridiculously stressed and anxious when stabled. She weaves like crazy and won’t stay still for a second. And she’s awfully head shy..

The owner didn’t mention any of this to me which has got me wondering if she’s been hit on the head by people? I’m not so sure what to do? Are there any calmers people recommend or any ways of keeping her settled as I need to stable her overnight as there’s no field shelters.

Any help or advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated :)

aimsroan

Visit site
Has she got company ?
When out in the field she’s next to a Tb gelding and they get on well but I didn’t want to put her straight in the same field with him in case they weren’t happy together, she’s then stabled next to a young foal that’s just been bought today.

paddi22

Visit site
I've had two tbs in like this. With one he had made himself a routine for the day in his head and the stabling interrupted it and stressed him. So it just took a bit of time for him to adapt to the new routine and then. he settled. The other mare just didn't like/wasn't usedto the the stable and being away from the herd. It helped to gradually increase the amount of time she was stabled gradually and to make the stable time very pleasant for her, so tons of grooming, treats and licks, and doing stuff like putting carrots in a haynet to keep her occupied. she settled too afte a few weeks

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I wouldn't be so quick to assume that someone has been hitting her or the seller has been less than straight. I have one that can show similar behaviour (not as far as weaving but lots of running round, head tossing and looking hyper alert) if something upsets his routine e.g, he comes in before the others or if my other horse is taken for a walk.

This is magnified in a new environment. When he went to camp he decided a particular horse (not the one stabled next to him) was his new best friend and got anxious when he wasn't there. If yours is starting to get attached to the gelding then she may be a bit anxious when she can't see him.

Time and routine will help but she may always be a bit of a worrier when something changes in her routine.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
is the other horse still out? if so, cant you leave her out and rug if she is so stressed in the stable....i have never had the luxury of a field shelter and mine have wintered out when they were younger. wouldnt do it to a 20 year old if they havent been used to it but she is quite young and should be ok if she has plenty to eat..