Any advice before I give up completely???!!!

ImmyS

Visit site
Thank you he is Welsh, we have a few welsh Ds on the yard and they all seem to be similar to be honest. Think I need to stop being hard on myself and him, although in a routine I think I need to make things a bit more structured and as you say see how he is in a couple of weeks. I’ve just started a new job and been house sitting, so I’ve been a bit all over the place which probably hasn’t helped matters.... and breathe!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Thank you he is Welsh, we have a few welsh Ds on the yard and they all seem to be similar to be honest. Think I need to stop being hard on myself and him, although in a routine I think I need to make things a bit more structured and as you say see how he is in a couple of weeks. I’ve just started a new job and been house sitting, so I’ve been a bit all over the place which probably hasn’t helped matters.... and breathe!

I think this is a good idea :)

mine wasn't Welsh fwiw :p

ihatework

Visit site

These welsh types need routine and they need work - id imagine that is the underlying factor so make those changes first and see if it helps.

Sometimes horses are quirky for no other reason than they ‘just are’
I’ve got a homebred 2yo that is suspicious as anything and over everything! Literally nothing bad has ever happened to him. He has grown up very naturally at stud and has been handled but in no way overdone. To this day it is pretty much only me that can catch him reliably, and even then I have to stage manage him. I hope he isn’t one big PITA once broken in, I have my suspicions!!!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
OP, do I remember correctly that you keep Arlo at your partner's farm? I agree with all the others who say that welshies in particular thrive on routine, and wondered if you could put up a stable at the yard because that would make establishing the routine a lot easier. Simply bring in, give a small feed, brush off and turn out x 2 daily even if he's not in work, he wouldn't need to be stabled overnight.

That is the routine that I adopt with with my young RSPCA foster ponies when they arrive. I don't fuss them over much, but they soon get to know the ropes and to accept the catching up and handling as part of everyday life, no dramas :).

Templebar

Visit site
A quick thought regarding the headcollar, i am assuming you are putting on over the nose and reaching over the head for the strap to buckle up or flipping it over.

I now use leather ones, the one thing i now always do is leave them buckled and instead use the throatlash clip. So it slips over the nose and push head piece over like a bridle and clip the throatlash up and the reverse for taking it off. It has made some of them a lot better and one who could be funny as she didn't like the strap flicking over, she will now drop her head.

Welshies (i have a D) can be funny and you just have to get used to their way. With mine if im checking in the field i tell her so and i make a point of doing it. If i want to catch her for work i cannot bring anything out or the car to hitch up as she will not be caught. Even now (13 years) i always have to approach her from behind, if i come from the front or side she will often turn away and walk or trot away. If she walks i just follow her until she stops and walk up to her and along her side, but i know she would NEVER kick. I think by doing it that way she feels that she has the opportunity to move away. Once i have the headcollar on she is fine with everthing, spooky when hacking but she just stops and snorts, but it could be anything (flowers are a particular aversion) when doing a job she gets on with it and has done mounted games, jumping.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
There are certain (albeit few) things that would make F tricky, hitching up would sometimes do it! He is also the only pony that I know that if you shout at him and tell him to stop he does and lets you catch him!

SpringArising

Visit site
I know others will disagree but I'd be calling it a day with this one.

Did I miss something? Most of the OP's posts about this horse seem to have been very positive so far and his issue seems to be that he can just be a bit unpredictable in the field?

If I were you OP, I'd put a headcollar on him and leave it on him in the field - there are plenty that won't rub him. Start bringing him in every day for a feed. One thing I find helpful for horses who won't be caught is to pretend that you want to look at their legs/pick up their feet instead and then slip a rope over the neck.

The horse prior to the one I've just bought was a Sec D. I had him for a year and tried everything to curb his unpredictability. He was a handful from the get go and had no regard for anyone but himself.

He would be fine one day, and then the next do something stupid like take off as soon as you put your foot in the stirrup, or as soon as I got on run back into his stable taking out anything or anyone in his path!

Would go into the arena and be nice as pie one evening, the next would spook at the very same things he'd seen a hundred times before and refuse to slow down.

One hack he would be exemplary and the next would bolt home if he saw a funny looking leaf. Some days he would let me bridle him sweetly and others he would run off as soon as I took his headcollar off. He was completely temperamental (and COULD be wonderful) and put me in hospital a few times. He had every check under the sun, including X-rays and nothing came up.

One thing I will say is that if he is making you stressed or unhappy, DO NOT think you are letting him down by passing him on. I eventually sold him to a pro with full disclosure of what he was like and she absolutely loves him and is doing amazing things with him. There's no shame in admitting it just isn't the horse for you.

Last edited:

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. He does sound very similar. I use clicker training a lot with him and it has helped with a lot of other issues. It’s just frustrating as I can spend a good few hours with him, grooming, walking him out in hand and he seems calm and engaged then I’ll go to turn him out and he’ll turn and look at me and snort all big eyes like he’s never seen me before... horse logic!

How many other horses does he have around? one of the theories I have about mine is that there werent enough horses around (only my others, so two at most)-he's far happier now in a bigger herd. before him, having had horses/ponies that were quite bold and confident I hadnt realised what a big ask it was to expect every horse to be happy, particularly a very sensitive one, with such a small group-I feel like he was on high alert all the time. This got worse in the winter when all the beasts are in (he loves cows!). I tried my best and tried different management strategies but eventually realised he wouldnt never be the horse I needed/I couldnt give him the home that suited him best. Not saying that this is the same for you and Immy though.

First winter I had the three of them out on 40 acres, I couldnt catch him for a week in the middle of winter-there was no way of putting a corral up in this particular field and I think he'd have run through it anyway at that point. Even catching everything else up was no guarantee that year. Its hideously frustrating-especially when I keep Exmoors as well who come to call (as a breed they are notorious for being hard to catch lol).

oh, I used a cottage craft field safe headcollar which didnt rub-they come up big though.

ImmyS

Visit site
Did I miss something? Most of the OP's posts about this horse seem to have been very positive so far and his issue seems to be that he can just be a bit unpredictable in the field?

If I were you OP, I'd put a headcollar on him and leave it on him in the field - there are plenty that won't rub him. Start bringing him in every day for a feed. One thing I find helpful for horses who won't be caught is to pretend that you want to look at their legs/pick up their feet instead and then slip a rope over the neck.

The horse prior to the one I've just bought was a Sec D. I had him for a year and tried everything to curb his unpredictability. He was a handful from the get go and had no regard for anyone but himself.

He would be fine one day, and then the next do something stupid like take off as soon as you put your foot in the stirrup, or as soon as I got on run back into his stable taking out anything or anyone in his path!

Would go into the arena and be nice as pie one evening, the next would spook at the very same things he'd seen a hundred times before and refuse to slow down.

One hack he would be exemplary and the next would bolt home if he saw a funny looking leaf. Some days he would let me bridle him sweetly and others he would run off as soon as I took his headcollar off. He was completely temperamental (and COULD be wonderful) and put me in hospital a few times. He had every check under the sun, including X-rays and nothing came up.

One thing I will say is that if he is making you stressed or unhappy, DO NOT think you are letting him down by passing him on. I eventually sold him to a pro with full disclosure of what he was like and she absolutely loves him and is doing amazing things with him. There's no shame in admitting it just isn't the horse for you.

Thank you for your reply. That’s my sticking point with him is that he’s been so brilliant ridden, I’ve never felt unsafe on him in some quite tricky situations! To be honest he’s never really put a foot wrong and although he can be nervous to handle, I can work round it and he normally settles once he understands. It’s this unpredictability in the field which is frustrating as there is no rhyme or reason, but maybe that is just him.

GTRJazz

Visit site
Need to spend some time in the field with him a hour a day just walking around not trying to catch him or holding a head collar. We had a few horses over the years at a big yard with 12 to a field that were hard to catch I could always get them in. If you watched the owners attempts you could see why they had no luck walking around in circles after the horses arms out stretched holding the head collar up in front of them. like one of the cast of a zombie movie.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Most on here will know that I struggled to catch Dave when I first got him. I left a leather headcollar on, which made life a LOT easier, as it was doing the headpiece up that would have him off!
On the occasions where he got the headcollar off, I did resort to treats. Did the headpiece up in the loosest hole, hold it up & tempt the head in with a carrot, pop the headpiece over ears, lift the noseband up & tighten headpiece. Worked a treat.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I had a horse who I always called semi-feral if he lived out. He’d revert back to looking like an untouched three year old and got very silly about being handled. I tried turning him away after an injury and he became a royal nightmare and I made the decision to bring him back onto the yard and have a routine that did involve some portion of stabling every day. Even once he retired due to injury, I kept him in this routine. He was a horse who would have a meltdown if I wore a new coat, hat or gloves. Could you move yards to somewhere where you have a stable that you could at least use for part of the day?

I also had an ISH who would do this ridiculous ‘terrified of his headcollar’ thing quite randomly in the field. He’d be absolutely fine for a week and then I’d go to catch him and it would take me an hour. He’d let his headcollar go on his nose and then have a complete freak out/rear and turn and run. I had him 7 years and he never changed. He was fine 9 times out of 10 and then he’d just be an idiot again. It only ever occurred in the field so I just accepted it as part of his quirky nature.
If I left a field safe headcollar on him he’d freak out when I took hold of it (even really lightly and gently), but the second I clipped him on he was fine. Daft lad.
I used to drop the headcollar and go and chat to his mates or I’d stand in the field looking very fixated on something in my hand or pocket and the sod would come over. I’d simply walk away from him a few yards until I had him following me around. Then I’d start stroking his face and making a fuss - no headcollar near him at this point. I’d read him a bit and if I felt he was still on edge I’d make a fuss of him and leave the field, perhaps returning ten minutes later and doing the same.
It was a pain, but he was a weird one. He didn’t get the nickname hooligan for no reason!

The headcollar thing you explain is almost word for word how mine is. Mine is 15 now, not Welsh and has not changed in 7 years. If I don't have a set routine of being caught every day, he can get feral. If I want an easy life, I leave a leather headcollar. Otherwise I have see what sort of mood he is in, if I am in a hurry then it is pointless, even trotting up to me all excited like 'Hi Mum' is no guarantee of good behaviour. And even with a headcollar on, you cannot touch his headcollar, instead just clip him on. You risk finger burns if you attempt to hold the headcollar. I put that down to him being really quite head shy when I got him. He would also be spooky of clothing but has got over that, wearing breeches used to render him uncatchable so for about 6 months I had to catch him in jeans then change. I found the most useful in getting him semi sensible is to get him in every day just for a fuss or a haynet etc and not only when I want to ride etc. But I would never think of getting rid of him for that reason. He's lovely to handle and ride.

Last edited:

ImmyS

Visit site
The headcollar thing you explain is almost word for word how mine is. Mine is 15 now, not Welsh and has not changed in 7 years. If I don't have a set routine of being caught every day, he can get feral. If I want an easy life, I leave a leather headcollar. Otherwise I have see what sort of mood he is in, if I am in a hurry then it is pointless, even trotting up to me all excited like 'Hi Mum' is no guarantee of good behaviour. And even with a headcollar on, you cannot touch his headcollar, instead just clip him on. You risk finger burns if you attempt to hold the headcollar. I put that down to him being really quite head shy when I got him. He would also be spooky of clothing but has got over that, wearing breeches used to render him uncatchable so for about 6 months I had to catch him in jeans then change. I found the most useful in getting him semi sensible is to get him in every day just for a fuss or a haynet etc and not only when I want to ride etc. But I would never think of getting rid of him for that reason. He's lovely to handle and ride.

Arlos the same actually, can clip on to head collar but if you tried to adjust it he would have a paddy. Will just have to try hard to get into a solid routine and see if he reverts back to his lovey compliant self!

SpringArising

Visit site
Look up Warwick Schiller on YouTube - he's brilliant. I don't know if he has specific videos on this topic but he has plenty of exercises that will help you to get Arlo focused on you and thinking that you are in charge (without bullying him).

Casey76

Visit site
My first horse was almost perfect in every way, except he was a right b*gger to catch.

The first year when he was turned out 24/7 for the RS summer holiday I couldn’t lay a finger on him for 8 weeks! The day that I finally could touch him - and it was literally a finger tip on his nose - I ran away and cried I was so happy. Fortunately he was never so bad to catch again, but I learned *all* the tricks for catching obstinate ponies ;)

I’d take a book into the field, park myself and settle down for a read; say hello to the whole herd as they came over to investigate before Pinto would deign to come over. In the end I found walking them down was the most successful, even if it wasn’t efficient, and very often I’d spend so long walking up and down the hills I’d be too knackered to ride (in which case, he’d come out of the field, have a couple of carrots/apple in a bucket and go straight back out). I think my record was 4 hours (and this was in a 2 acre field on the side of a hill), extremely frustrating!

He did get better the longer he was with me, but it was always 50/50 if I could walk straight up to him - from the side, never directly from the front or from behind - or not. Even when doing liberty work in the manège, he could be very sticky to catch, if he took it upon himself not to be caught... fussy begger. My goodness I do miss him terribly sometimes, despite his foibles!

ImmyS

Visit site
Look up Warwick Schiller on YouTube - he's brilliant. I don't know if he has specific videos on this topic but he has plenty of exercises that will help you to get Arlo focused on you and thinking that you are in charge (without bullying him).

Thank you I have seen some of his work before and liked his approach so will have another look.

Brought Arlo in this afternoon, easy to catch, chilled in the yard, chilled when put out, enjoying the moment as could be the opposite tomorrow!

Carrottom

Visit site
On the subject of Warwick Schiller, have a look at how he puts a halter on a a horse. You can adapt this technique to a headcollar so you have your arm over the neck and don't have to flick the headpiece over. I have used this successfully on a horse difficult to put a headcollar on.

Visit site
Can I be a bit of killjoy and say, I haven't got any advice really but if he's a bit of a pain to catch please wear a hat :) If he spins and ******* off wouldn't want you to get kicked or anything. I know it's unlikely but yeah. Sorry. :eek:

ImmyS

Visit site
On the subject of Warwick Schiller, have a look at how he puts a halter on a a horse. You can adapt this technique to a headcollar so you have your arm over the neck and don't have to flick the headpiece over. I have used this successfully on a horse difficult to put a headcollar on.

Thank you, I don’t think the headcollar (I use a rope halter) is actually the problem as 99% of the time if he lets me close enough I can get headcollar no problem, it’s him not letting me near him which is the problem! It seems to be the circumstances around being caught such as a bright jacket, or really windy, or a different person, just in a silly mood etc.. that’s the problem

ImmyS

Visit site
Pictures of said terrified pony this evening, after I had caught
Him. brought him in, groomed him and put him back out, fed him all
With no issues... he then acted like he wanted to come back in.

SNveqIl.jpg

7WxVuO5.jpg

I think I’m just frustrated because we had a really good couple of months where he was super friendly and never acting scared of me in the slightest, even giving him a good scratch with the blinking shaving fork. He just seems to have got progressively worse for no apparent reason (hi vis jacket scenario then making things worse).

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I wonder if his current behaviour is something to do with changing his coat, which I assume involves hormonal changes.

He does have a gorgeous face, he looks very much like my big dark brown cob.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Aww, look at that furry face :biggrin3:

Yeah, I totally get how frustrating it is when you've been making good progress. Horses eh, sent to try us. We'd only be bored otherwise though :D

Bob notacob

Visit site
Having observed horse madness for a very long time I have a theory . They are prey . In the wild everything eats them except possibly rabbits and I wouldn't trust them either.The horse lives or dies on his reactions and they are very finely tuned. We know for a fact that certain mineral imbalances eg magnesium can turn dobbin into a fire breathing lunatic. But I suspect that even moving a horse from one area/soil type ,to another can trigger a sort of hyper sensitivity. How often have we heard "well he was always good at home and you tried him and he didnt put a hoof wrong.It must be somthing youve done after you bought him". There is a possibility that in certain cases even Magnesium supplementation could induce other mineral imbalances. I would hazard a guess that in time the horse will adapt to its new environment (given a chance)but usualy they get moved along and the same problem occurs again. Unfortunately we have had two springs this year , courtesy of the drought . We kind of know they go nuts in May as a result of spring grass (which grows too quickly to absorb much minerals)but this year we also have "stupid september". These are just my thoughts based on many tears observation and frustration.edited to say tears was a typo but I suspect also true.