Any advice please!

famco

New User
Visit site
A few months ago I bought a 7 year old gelding, who was supposed to have 'been there and done it' - I had him vetted which he passed with no problems, and rode him at the yard - he seemed great.

Two weeks after getting him home, he seemed to develop a problem with his stifle.

Occasionally he seems to have a problem setting off when he has been stood, and there is a noticeable 'click' when this happens. He often tries to stretch the leg out behind him when setting off, but once he is moving he is fine, and has never been lame.
snoopy.jpg

I had the vet out who prescribed bute, but didnt really offer a satifactory explanation of the problem.

The problem isnt a constant one, it just seems to flare up every few weeks.

Also he has now started to rear when we hack out on the road, alone or in company.

When we first started going out, he was fine, and we went miles - now he gets 100 yards down the road and will try to turn back, then starts rearing.

Have tried everything, being calm and even hitting him, but nothing seems to work.

Really need some help and advice with this lad.

Thanks Kate.

seaofdreams

Visit site
has his work load decresed at all? Imo it sounds as if he may have locking stifles, my brothers pony has it, but it only causes her a problem when she is unfit or in light work and when it locks she panics and bucks
my first pony had it too but he had an op to sort it out as it was causing him to fall
if you look it up on the net im sure it will explain it better (im not very good at explaining things!)
but i would have thought the vet would have picked it up?

4whitesocks

Visit site
hmmmm....Sid occasionally has a 'clicky' stifle when he starts work (my last horse did it too) have been told it's not a major problem (was I told wrong?)...only lameness he's ever had with me was when he was slightly off with a splint (mind you he doesn't exhibit your neds other symptoms)

re the rearing - the two may not be related....often when a horse gets over the initial 'shock' of a move they can try it on and develop things like this - (with me it took 6 weeks before last horse started to nap going out the gate)....there are lots of threads on here re rearing - do a search, lots of advice but the main thing is to deal with the problem NOW before it becomes an estabished habit

PinkFairy

Visit site
i havent a clue but not trying to offend but i wouldn't think hitting him would re-assure him? (sorry if this offends)

famco

New User
Visit site
It would seem possible that the two problems I described aren't related at all.

Must agree it look likes a locking stifle problem - but can't understand why the vet didnt pick anything up on the vetting.

The Vet I had out a few weeks ago felt the joint and also said it felt completely normal.

I know that the stifle problem can be helped by building muscle through work, that is why I have been keen to hack him out regularly, although the current problems with the rearing are putting a stop to that.

As far as I can make out he's certainly doing more work with me then he was with his previous owner, although we are still only doing light work.

The previous owner claimed he had hunted and showed.

I have taken advice from numerous sources regarding the rearing, and today just tried using the crop a little (which I wouldn't normally do) and must admit I think it just made the situation worse; therefore of course I'm not offended by your comments.

I have to ride about 1 mile down a very fast country lane to get to a bridlepath from my yard, and as you can imagine, being in the middle of the road on a rearing horse on a country lane/dragstrip is not the safest place in the world to be. I know the rulebook would say just to persevere and not let him get away with it, but I can ill afford to be rearing on such a busy road.

Just don't know what to try next :-(

Thanks
Kate.

Happytohack

Visit site
Re. the rearing - it is strange that he is napping for home even when he is with another horse. Does he still stop with another horse in front? Also, now that he has settled in, has he become v. friendly with another horse at the yard and doesn't want to leave his friend? I have a horse who did what your chap does - and it is extremely frightening having a rearing, napping horse on a busy country lane - he always napped when he had got about 100 yards, after that he would be ok. I found the best way was to ride him forward briskly - usually in a good trot - if he was going forward, he couldn't stop so easily and nap. I found using a stick just made the situation worse. However, I think you need to get the locking stifle investigated and have his teeth, back and saddle checked to make sure he is not in any pain and trying to tell you something. In my own horse's case, he had severe arthritis in one of his fetlock joints. (He is now happily retired, but is much older than your chap)

Moggy

Visit site
Sounds like locking stifles to me. Generally just a problem for mine the morning after XC or when he has a change of workload. You can try walking them back a few steps to unlock them (but doesn't work for mine) or encourage them to stretch leg straight back then walk them for a few minutes with no tight turns!

The other problem sounds like a napping issue to me after settling in for a few weeks!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think you may have been well and truly stiched up on this. It definately sounds like locking stifles to me - and this doesn't happen overnight. The rearing is him napping and you've got to either ride through it yourself or get someone who is a stronger rider to do it for you.

Get your vet back out and ask him to do a full investigative work up on the stifle area - this may involve a trip to horsepital - so check your insurance docs.

We had an eventer at my yard who developed locking stifles - the outcome was not good. Sorry.

Moggy

Visit site
I agree it's worth getting your horse checked, but it certainly hasn't proved a problem for my lad. You just have to be aware of it when work levels change and dont do any tight turns until he's been walked straight forward. He's out doing BD, XC and SJ regularly.

I have known one 4yo that had to go in for simple op 'cos her stifles locked at an time, but she made a fast recovery and is fine now.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I agree it's worth getting your horse checked, but it certainly hasn't proved a problem for my lad

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely - and like with most things, each case is individual. In this particular horse's case surgery was undertaken but ultimately unsuccessful for a variety of reasons.

famco

New User
Visit site
Thanks for the advice everybody.

I have arranged for a lady from the local Pony Club to come and give me her opinion on Sunday, and try and sort out the rearing problem.

Will post and let you know the outcome.

Thanks
Kate