Any advice welcomed

wannabee

Visit site
Right, have just bought a 10 month old colt, who is lovely...
He was largely unhandled before I bought him, and has come a long way in the 10 days since he arrived at his new home. He'll stand for ages being groomed and cuddled, loves the attention.
My problems arise when it comes to his legs/feet. He's never had his feet trimmed and obviously they are in desperate need of being done. I can run my hands down both back legs, and he doesn't kick out, and today manged to pick them both up briefly. This is enormous progress. Front legs are slightly more problematic, can run hands down left fore easily, and have managed to pick it up a few times.
Right Fore he is not so keen on me picking up, and tends to run backwards/strike out/ or try to bite me (I am sensing from him that the biting is solely fear related).
I know that he's gonna take a while to trust me totally, but the sooner he can have his feet done the better...
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanking you in advance...

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
When I brought my gypsy cob he was wild and had no idea how to pick his feet up and tried to kick out. I used a lead rope wrapped around his heel and lifted the foot this way, this way I was well out of the way but still able to lift the foot with a bit of a tug. As soon as he lifted his foot he got a treat (I know some people don’t agree with the whole treat thing but the way to Bodey’s trust was defiantly though his belly). He soon learnt that picking his foot up meant he got a reward, he still gets a treat after I’ve picked his feet out even today.

It’s just time and practice, practice and more practice.

Hope that makes sense?

wannabee

Visit site
Thanks, I guess I need to educate him about treats before I can bribe him with them!
I don't think it'll take him long before he learns that I'm not a monster who's going to hurt him...

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
I need to educate him about treats

[/ QUOTE ]
Well if he is anything like Bodey was that was the first lesson learnt, Mum means food! Well it worked for me.
wink.gif

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
How about trying it the racehorse way and pick up all feet from the same side? Stand on the side he is ok with and try picking up the feet from that side - it means reaching underneath and pulling the foot towards you. We tried this method with my yearling when she arrived unhandled with her back feet so when she kicked out she kicked against her other leg. We always made sure we wore a hat and we had another person holding the head. If he runs backwards try doing it with his bum pushed into the stable wall. Use lots of reassurance and pats. The person at the head end should be able to help with the biting.

D

Donkeymad

Keep doing what you are doing. Pick a hoof up and instantly ut it down, then give a scartch. Slowly increase the time you hold it up.
Really not a fan of giving treats.