Any Appleby Fair experts about?

LauraBR

Visit site
I have only ever been to Appleby Fair once before, a few years ago now, and can't remember if there was a specific reason we went the day we did?! Am I right in thinking that each day is much of a muchness in terms of what happens there but the weekend days are the busiest both in terms of horses and tourists??

I am keen to go again this year purely to take lots and lots of photographs to paint from- I'm particularly interested in painting horses in and around the river and perhaps horses trotting up and down the street. I'm not fussed about all the trade stalls etc, just in it for photos of the horses!

Is there still plenty going on on the days leading up to the weekend, or am I best off braving the crowds on Sat/Sun??
confused.gif

Anyone else going?
smile.gif

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
I would love too but think I would come back which a whole herd of coloureds (if you could stick a coloured colt under your arm that would be fab)! I bet some of Bodey’s relatives will be there. Have a fantastic time!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm... I wonder if a cute coloured colt would fit in the boot of my Golf

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh a little one will do, just squeeze it in!!! Do put the photos up you take so I can drawl over all the coloured coblets!
grin.gif

cattysmith

Visit site
Are those your paintings in your sig, lzt? They're absolutely stunning. Do you have a website?

Just clicked on your profile. What absolutely stunning pictures. There are alot of incredibly talanted artists about on these boards, but I really like your stuff, absolutely beautiful!

I wish I had even half that ability!
confused.gif

bonney

Visit site
friday you get the odd horse in the village by the river but more so sat/sun. i think you will have to brave the crowds if this is what you want to do
smile.gif

do you not fancy catching the people camping on the way to appleby with the horses and the wagons as they could turn into nice pics
i used to go every year but not now as its just to commercial now and there is too many idiots there.i love the stalls but about 3 year ago it was more like a car boot sale.

LauraBR

Visit site
Think I have decided to go on Sunday but aim to get there early to try and avoid the busiest crushes
smile.gif

I think it was about 3 years ago that I went and yes, the stalls were very car bootish! Appleby is certainly an 'interesting' experience!

Not sure where I would find people camping, I didn't see any last time. I live in County Durham so my route there is pretty much A66 all the way.

Guinness

Visit site
The monday has the races I think, but the weekend will be busiest. I passed the first caravan of the year today, I love en route to Appleby so I dont have to go there to see all the horses!

bonney

Visit site
tuesday night is harness racing.majority will start driving up between now and saturday.
normally get a few camping around spennymoor, west auckland and up towards i think raby castle isnt that the castle with all the deer?
confused.gif
memory not very good tonight lol.
some of my friends have already left and are travelling up now.