Any brave souls ridden (outside) today?

canteron

Visit site
Always curious how hardy I am comparatively - sideways rain, mushy ground and howling winds are too much for me .... my friend however has exercised 5 saying they need to learn to work in all weathers ?? is it ok once you are outside and doing things?

Bernster

Visit site
I’m a bit of a fair weather rider. Waited in the stable yesterday as the torrential rain shower hit. No fun for horses or rider, and I’m not likely to ‘need’ to ride in terrible weather. Not sure horses need to be trained to do that either but maybe I’m missing something. friend is having a bbq later today though, not ideal weather for that!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
We must be lucky this morning, beautiful fresh and breezy day. No flies and all hacked out by 10am. So pleasant they have gone back out in the field instead of standing inside to avoid flies.

conniegirl

Visit site
Yes, rode my pony in the school then took him on a hack. Very windy and cold here but thankfully managed to squeeze the ride in between showers!

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Breezy and a bit nippy here but no rain. I had a lesson at 8:30 and then walked the dog, definitely felt autumnal! I am normally a fair weather rider unless I have a lesson booked so she has ridden in rain/wind/snow which I think is good as for example when it was very windy at a clear round she just got on with the job.

P.forpony

Visit site
Drizzly and howling wind here, I quite like hacking in the wind, it means we actually go forward occasionally! ?
Today we managed something that might in hushed tones count as gallop, instead of the usual rocking horse canter.
I always find the thought of riding in the rain much worse than the reality. Once you’re going it’s never that bad.

HashRouge

Visit site
It's okay here, just cold and breezy. Share horse had his silly head on though because *gasp* there are puddles on the road again! I am not a fair weather rider and will go out in all weathers. Strong winds are not my favourite though!

Visit site
It depends what you want to do with your horse as to whether you need to train them to accept working in it or not. Racehorses generally race whatever the weather unless it is dangerous to do so so they go out every day. If you have an outdoor competition horse and you compete no matter what you need to gwt your horse to accept that. If your a happy hacker/fair weather rider/indoor competition type person then sod it! Stay in the warm and dry! There's always another day ??

scruffyponies

Visit site
A bit nippy here but otherwise fine here. Had a new 7 year old girl riding. We have done nothing but gallop around like loons for months, and it has been very blowy, so I was a little concerned they might not be in the mood for a slower ride around town.

I needn't have worried. Despite silly amounts of traffic (where did that lot come from?), and the bank holiday scarecrow competition, they were as good as gold.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Cool and breezy when rode out about 8.30 but early morning rain has ceased. Boys went out rugless as flies not around and rain not forecast. I’m a bit precious about my 25yr old but they do love a good mutual groom and a roll in the mud.

Cowpony

Visit site
Wasn't too bad here - windy and cool with occasional bright spells. I rode at 8.30 and warmed up nicely once I got going. Wouldn't have ridden outside in sideways rain though!

irishdraft

Visit site
Very windy but sunny here made the most of all the last few days torrential rain which has softened up the ground a treat for lots of trotting and cantering round the farm

GinaGeo

Visit site
Mine were all schooled in yesterday’s horizontal wind and rain and then hacked in today’s less extreme weather.

I can’t say they thanked me for it, but they are expected to compete in the rain, so it’s only fair I get them used to it.

The four year old had his first proper Schooling session in sideways Wind and rain yesterday. He did try suggesting it was a travesty and completely unreasonable. But soon realised he was going to have to crack on regardless. He did settle down and work quite sweetly having learned an important life lesson ?

Upthecreek

Visit site
If I'm just hacking or schooling I generally try to work around bad weather. If I've got something booked I just carry on. On Thursday the weather was absolutely horrific here and we had booked to go cross country schooling. It was torrential rain from start to finish but both horses worked well and I think they actually appreciated the change from the heat and hard ground. I think if you compete it's a good idea to get them out in all weathers to hopefully avoid them napping or turning their arses into the rain and not paying attention if the heavens open at a competition.

catembi

Visit site
I went in the arena for half an hour with my pony. It was quite windy & a bit drizzly & she had her scatty head on. I don't mind the rain if it starts after I've got on!

Beckandred

Visit site
I’m happy to ride outside in rain, wind, snow and whatever else!
My 17 year old loan has never been ridden in this sort of weather and so if we’re caught in the rain he starts moving sideways to avoid it getting in his eyes! He’s turning me into a fair weather rider

Surbie

Visit site
Cool and very breezy this morning - cobbus had his eyes out on stalks at a portaloo where there never used to be one, a swinging gate and an oversize burdock leaf but passed rattly wheely bins and some really stupid traffic with no probs.

I hate riding in heavy rain, and will avoid it if I can, but will ride in most weather.

firstfrost

Visit site
Did a grid work session this morning with one horse when it was bright but very windy. then this afternoon hacked out my 4 year old in the rain. It seems to rain so much these days if I didn't ride out in it they would never get fit!

FourLeafClover

Visit site
We went off for a dressage lesson this afternoon despite the winds and rain. There is an indoor school (20x40) but we braved the elements for the outdoor as we are benefitting from working in a 20x60 ahead of dressage at the weekend ? really didn’t find it too bad once I was riding, the worst bit was straining to hear our instructor!

teddypops

Visit site
I managed to miss the rain yesterday even although I hacked out 3 ponies. It’s not a competition though, if you want to, do it and equally if you don’t want to, don’t. I used to love riding out in wild stormy weather, but I rode up hills and mountains where there was no traffic. Now I have to ride on narrow winding hedge lined lanes and I don’t ride if it’s wild and windy because the lanes are like wind tunnels and I can’t hear any traffic coming.