Any experience? Frog infection?

Tobiano

Visit site
Hi.. Vet has seen Bilbo recently and given him dectomax for feather mites but also treating him with antibiotics and flushing with peroxide for bacterial infection of the foot - his heels were getting a bit sore and his frogs aren't in the best condition. We've been trying to keep his feet washed then dried and clean but vet says that being out in the wet fields is just reinfecting him the whole time.

He's had a week of staying in except being ridden on the roads, but poor lamb is going stir crazy and we had to let him out today as he was trying to jump over the top of his stable door.

Has anyone ever had this and did you find a good way to manage it without staying in the whole time? Thank you :)

Lintel

Visit site
Abit far fetched perhaps but what about hoof boots- alot of risks mind you one of them being losing the boots in mud, rubs and the frog sweating in the boot but I'd be inclined to turn out for a few hours in boots as long as the field wasn't pure mud! When my boy had thrushy feet I'd clean dry and do entirely with purple spray(vet stuff not the diluted rubbish!) until it cleared up.
Sorry not of much help but all the best winters a ****** eh just pray for the ground to harden!

Scarlett

Visit site
https://redhorseproducts.com/shop-2/hoof-care/field-paste/

Recommended by a vet friend and their range is fab! Not used this but the honey heal is great for cuts. My filly gored a piece out her shoulder, couldnt stitch it as it's was the wrong angle. Packed it with honey heal not a scar.

This. I use Field Paste, great stuff. Red Horse also do products that will pack into holes if there are any. Field Paste will stay on even in wet/mud.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
A friend of mine had some stuff called heal and seal you spray it on wounds you want kept dry, her pony split his heal quite badly and she used this with good results.

Another good product for feet is keratex hoof disenfectant used this alot and its great stuff.

Highlands

Visit site
A friend of mine had some stuff called heal and seal you spray it on wounds you want kept dry, her pony split his heal quite badly and she used this with good results.

Another good product for feet is keratex hoof disenfectant used this alot and its great stuff.

Seal and heal is made by flyaway

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
If he's good with his foot handling and standing still, you can afford it, and have enough time (it takes a couple of hours) a Cleantrax soak would probably clear it all up in one treatment.

Personally I don't find field paste that good, but I love Red Horse Artimud for any foot problems, it stays on for days.

Edited to add: you can't beat old fashioned pig oil and sulfur for feather mites, but you need to get the feathers clean and dry first (not a problem if he's in overnight).

Last edited: