Any experienced horse trainers - Would you....

appennea

Visit site
... ever consider buying a quality horse post kissing spine op (only one process being removed) if the price was right? I have a young horse that's been rearing and is now going for the op (you may already know about this from previous posts). The impingement isn't as major as many cases so the vet isn't 100% sure that this will cure the problem. My dilema now is that the insurance will pay for op but I'm fairly sure after 12+ weeks recovery livery plus then sending her away to be schooled and then selling her I'm going to be far worse off then selling her at her brood mare value after the op to someone who can try and bring her back to work in a professional way and failing that can breed from her. But do these people exist!? I'm also worried about the strain this is going to put on me and I'm going to be draining finances and worry into a horse that is just going to be sold. She's booked in for op on Friday so need to make decision smartish. Thanks

appennea

Visit site
She won't be unhealthy after op - she's had all clear for everything else hence vets doubts. She just needs taking in hand and she's out of my league. That's why I want her to have the op so that she has every chance of a good and useful life.

GTs

Visit site
I would not say that is a defining characteristic, however some mares are put into foal due to injury. The problem is you can never be certain what happens to the horse after it changes owner. I am a firm believer in setting horses up for success, a sick horse can not take care of itself.

GTs

Visit site
Sorry I thought you were looking to sell her as a broodmare without having the operation.

appennea

Visit site
No - desperate for this horse to have a great a life as possible and very talented - but now so behind in her work and needs professional schooling. I'm getting married early next year and was hoping to have her affilaited SJ and poss dreassge by that time so someone could take over the ride. If I could afford a second horse I'd keep her and see what happens but I can't and the more I spend on her now the less to start over. Hence would rather take money for her now as not going to make any more in four / six months time and that's another six months with no ride.
confused.gif

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
In all honesty, I wouldn't touch her unless she was free to good home or very very cheap. There's no telling what she'll be capable of after the op, and if you were to advertise her as a broodmare then she wouldn't fetch much unless she was proven.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Serious breeders wouldn't get a mare with a kissing spine, op or no op as there is no way of knowing if the stress of carrying/foaling etc will do more damage. They may chance it if it was cheap or had very good breeding.

appennea

Visit site
She's only got it in one area in back caused by over work too young (not by me) rather than congenital, all rest of back inc neck xrayed and plenty of space between processes. She's sore rather than weak. Vet doing op is best at it in country and one suggestion was put her in foal and see how she is next year. I'm positive he wouldn't suggest this if that were the case.

lizzieuk1

Visit site
gosh should she really have a major op if there is doubt as to whether it will work and does she really need it, sounds like (as you say)you're quite behind with her schooling etc so have you thought maybe thats why she's rearing etc, is it worth trying to get her proifessionally schooled first? just a thought i'm sure you've been through that already.

Tia

Visit site
Sorry to hear this and I can see what a dilemma it is for you. Truthfully, I have to say that I would never consider buying this horse either pre- or post- operation and not for any purpose; riding or broodmare, sorry. I have a thing about equine backs and unless they are in good order I wouldn't ever consider buying the horse.

Best of luck in deciding what to do for the best.

Tia

Visit site
No most broodmares aren't buggered in some way. Some may be ........ but plenty are not! Dreadful misconception....
confused.gif

spaniel

Visit site
Sorry but I wouldnt even consider her if she was a giveaway. No matter what the breeding a brood mare needs to be physically capable and one that has shown signs of kissing spine, for whatever reason, shouldnt IMO be bred from.

appennea

Visit site
I'm just gonna have to put up aren't I. So depressing - this was supposed to be my dream competition horse having lost my last horse in an accident at the end last year that was already so heart breaking. Seem to give all my horses the kiss of death. I shall just have to hope she comes through the op with flying colours and someone falls in love with her.

If I ever buy a horse again it's gonna be xrayed from head to toe (if I've any money left) - can't stand all the let downs and upset anymore - I've lost two to field accidents and now this. They're worst then men for breaking your heart. I can't leave her as she is in case she is in immense pain - only way to find out is to have it done I guess and go from there.

Someone give me some happier news - please
frown.gif

appennea

Visit site
I think the problem is that although many would have dilema in doing this I'm worried that she'll really hurt someone as her rearing is no longer your average rear and is followed up by bucking with shoulder drop. If she's in that much pain to be ridden she's not safe at the moment and I don't want her to be suffering. I'm trying to consider every possibility but if we're just not matched even - as others have said and I'd agree - I wouldn't touch a horse with a barge poll that had the condition and hadn't been treated. Her saving grace is possibly that she is only having it on one process - I believe the majority (particularly where congenital) have in in several processes (short back conformation I guess?). They've done recent studies where they pm'd over a hundred 2/3 year old warmbloods and a large percentage had it but have never shown any signs. They think an awful lot of horses have it as it can be so subtle but unless they are high standard comp horses whose standards then drop suddenly its never investigated and the horses put up with it or the owner puts it down to naughtiness. We actually sent her to the vets as we thought she had a bizarre neck problem - turned out to be nothing major but they found this too.

JM7

Visit site
Short answer is no......

there are plenty of horses out there with "potential" without buying a "potential" crock.....

i'd cut your losses now, (she sounds an endless money pit)...turn her away/give her away/or PTS.....

then go and find another........

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
Thing is, even if it is treated people are always going to be weary of any future problems. If someone is just looking for a cheap horse then they probably aren't the people you want looking after her. You could always advertise her as a comapanion.