Any Farriers/hoof experts that can help me????

CPW

Visit site
Is there anyone that can help me with hoof issues?

Changed to a new farrier about seven weeks ago, my horse was shod coming up three weeks ago for the 2nd time (have to keep intervals short as he did have seedy toe and resulting laminitis last year on one foot). Over the last two weeks the horse has gone lame, you can particularly see it on a small circle in walk on concrete on both front feet - worse on the foot without seedy toe, but he looks ok (not completely sound) trotted up in a straight line. When the farrier first shod him he took off a lot of foot off.

Could this be that he is footsore? I am reasonably confident this is not laminitis (although am treating him as if it is). He is a Trakehner with small boxy feet if this helps.

All suggestions welcome!

LeneHorse

Visit site
hi - i can sympathise with you as I'm having lameness/farriery issues at the moment as well (see post in new lounge)
Sorry can't offer you any expert advice. Have you had the vet out?

CPW

Visit site
Vet coming Friday, going to box rest him in the meantime!

Let me know how things go for you!

wyldstallionguy

New User
Visit site
Hi, It could be that if alot of foot was trimmed off your horse could be a little foot sore. Any sudden changes in a way that a horse is being shod can result in temporary lameness. Some farriers tend to take alot off the sole when preparing to fiit a shoe which i find to be the biggest cause of horses going lame when newly shod. It may not happen til the horse steps on something with the new thin sole that it shows. Take into account that a horse only grows about 3mm of new sole per month and that the sole is only approx 10mm thick!

There are a whole load of other things that could cause the lameness.