Any fellow mushers?

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Just wondered if anyone else here practises the sport of mushing? I have two young GSP bitches (litter mates) & started them off initially bikejoring in April last year. Joring is the Norwegian word for driving, so it's like having your dog pull you along on your bike. We then bought a dryland rig (which is like a three wheeled sled on wheels) to run them as a pair & become proper mushers! :)

It's a hisk righ, but amazingly fantastic fun sport which really gets the adrenlin going, both musher & dogs! The dogs are uber fit and absolutely love it, they get so excited when harnessed up, they literally start to bounce on the spot. It's a great sport for teaching them focus (passing other dogs, sheep etc) & they are also trained to various commands (eg. gee & haw for left & right). We train normally about twice a week, usually at night (because it's cooler - you do have to watch the temperatures, we don't go out unless it's below 10 degrees - less walkers around & it's also even more excillerating in the dark!) We normally train in our local forest, but we also have the use of an old 1.3mile racetrack which was previously used to train trotting horses. The track is really useful for teaching the dogs to overtake others for when they will be competing at rallies. We are fairly new to the sport so are just been training this last year, with a view to start competing next season (Winter 2013). We often train with friends (who are experienced & already competing regularly), having five rigs, 6 Siberian huskies, & 5 GSP's between us - it can get a bit noisy! :)

Some photos........

The girls & I out having a blast (we don't usually train on concrete - this is just the last week bit road after a series of forest paths. I also normally wear a cycle helmet but i'd forgotten it that day! And typically, i crashed, just about 5 minutes before this photo was taken - can you tell it's dented my confidence? LOL!

Rig.jpg

Our gorgeous girls, Lexi & Nissa, 20month old solid black German Shorthaired Pointers.
DSC01888.jpg

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Looks like great fun and a fab way to keep the dogs fit and enjoying life :D

I have a friend with 2 really big bouncy young black labs - she has land so this may be an idea for her. Is the kit readily available?

misterjinglejay

Visit site
We try and train 3-4 times a week, both night runs and early mornings. This is our first season, so we are definitely rookies, but have done well at our first two rallies - 3rd place in our first, and 5th in our second.

We'll only run if its below 12 degrees with a lowish humidity, and are lucky enough to count some of the best mushers in the country as our friends and mentors (wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't for their help, advice and patience).

Hopefully off to compete at Aviemore at the end of the month - eeekkkk!

misterjinglejay

Visit site
Looks like great fun and a fab way to keep the dogs fit and enjoying life :D

I have a friend with 2 really big bouncy young black labs - she has land so this may be an idea for her. Is the kit readily available?

Yes, it is www.culpeppers.co.uk make everything including rigs, collars, lines, etc, and Phil who owns the company is a fantastic source of advice, help and experience. Would wholeheartedly recommend them :D

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
patience).

Hopefully off to compete at Aviemore at the end of the month - eeekkkk!

Eeeee! :D Best of luck, weather forecast looks brilliant, will finally be snow on the ground!

We haven't competed at all this year sadly, I started a new job right at the start of the season and haven't been able to get enough time off for rallies. Not that we've managed to get much training done either because of the mild weather, I've managed to get R out on the bike twice a week but D hates both the warm and the mud and isn't running well at the moment. My beautiful new rig has spent a lot of time in the shed. :rolleyes: R however has turned out to be a solo bikejor superstar, he's absolutely unstoppable.

Fingers crossed for a big freeze and a bit of snow next week so we can have some fun. A headcam is on my wish list this year so next year's season will be fully documented, as well as D's agility progress (her unaff debut is three weeks away and I've been bullied into having her measured in preparation for KC :eek:).

eatmyshorts your pointers are beautiful. :) I didn't know they came in solid colours, how often are you told how lovely your labradors are?!

stargirl88

Visit site
Eatmyshorts your dogs are beauties!

I did a winter at a working kennel a few years back - I've been dwelling on it ever since. I don't have anyone to team up with around here :(

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Thanks guys! Yep, GSP's do come in solid liver, & more rarely solid black. We do have them mistaken for black labs on a regular basis, although when you see past the colour, there is very little resemblance!! The only people who tend to recognise them for what they are, are fellow GSP owners! And gundog people are normally just intrigued but flummoxed! :)

Yasandcrystal - another good website for is SASS, they make made to measure harnesses (had to laugh when i sent measurements for Nissa's - she's so deep chested, they thought i'd measured wrong!).

Misterjay, your mals are awesome! Well done on your race results - i've not been quite brave enough to compete yet, tho my expert friends (yes, what would we do without them?) tell me my dogs are more than ready. Were you at the SDAS National Champs in November? Maybe see you at Aviemore?

Blackcob, what kind of dogs have you got? Sibes perhaps, going by your siggy strip?:)

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Yes two sibes, one very smart three year old bitch who we had from six months old and one very pretty but very thick :)p) four year old dog adopted from SHWA over 18 months ago now. :)

551672_3960630572075_1509978457_n.jpg

windand rain

Visit site
There is a young solid black GSP just up the road from the ponies he is gorgeous he is being trained as a gun dog it is fun to watch him over the field

Cyrus

Visit site
Yes Yes Yes have been for about 6 years now but only bikejoring at the moment as only have the one girlie due to relationship break up and ex keeping the other two
Shall hopefully be up at Aviemore for race weekend and will be in dognap mode
If you ring culpeppers expect to be on the phone for a while lol lol

misterjinglejay

Visit site
If you ring culpeppers expect to be on the phone for a while lol lol
LOL LOL so very true - our training sessions never end - he won't go home!!!

It'll be great to see you up there; and don't forget, you need space in your pack for a Pagan pup :D

Eatmyshorts - thank you, and I love your labs ;). http://www.wyedean-mushing.com/ run a lot of open rallies for labs :D and other breeds. No, we weren't at sdas; all our rallies so far have been sbcgb, but after aviemore, we're doing a few bshra ones. It'll be lovely if you can make it up there; we'll be the ones with the out of control mals, and a yappy samoyed (who may or may not be white), and I'll be talking in a very squeaky, nervous voice LOL

You'll love the rallies - dogs, dogs, dogs for the whole weekend! The main thing we had to work on was passing and being passed. Yet again our very patient mentors, and their dogs, were on hand to help. If you've got that, directions, etc sorted, then off to the rallies with you :D - catch you on the circuit!

Your dogs are far too clean and gorgeous, bc, and *whispers, shuffling a foot, and looking at the ground* off lead ;)

Last edited:

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Your dogs are far too clean and gorgeous, bc, and *whispers, shuffling a foot, and looking at the ground* off lead

If you look at Ricoh's back you can see one of the long lines attached to their harnesses. :p We do not do off-lead, ever.

That's also my own paddock in the middle of arable fields, no footpaths, roads, people or livestock around except my own horse. :)

294944_3899293678691_1837261906_n.jpg

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Misterjay, I thought you were serious for a nanosecond there when you said you loved my labs :p Will check out that website, thank you. We have been to a few rallies to help out with our friends teams and we loved it. Training tomorrow in a huge forest - weather looking good, dry and cold! Blackcob, your sibes are just stunning.:D Glad to see no risks being taken off leash!

suzysparkle

Visit site
Another musher here. We have 11 Siberian Huskies and a Collie (who also runs in harness). We do rallies with various clubs throughout the Winter although we don't do Aviemore for various reasons which I won't go into on here. Ours are mainly Alaskan Anadyr lines and we imported one from there a couple of years ago. We run a variety of classes from 6 dog to Bike-Jor and train using a heavyweight passenger cart (85KG) or Quad bike (obviously we use a lightweight rig at rallies). We've had plenty success at rallies over the years - always nice when they have sponsors and you can win some dog food :) We use Taiga H back harnesses and get our lines / collars / leads from Ali at SASS. For Bike-Jor we use the Manmat short ones. It's quite an addictive sport...and an expensive one.

Last edited:

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Not any more expensive than horses i hope? We are strictly limiting ourselves to four dogs (or maybe 5......) :p

Had a fab day out training in the forest, with 5 GSP's, 6 sibes & 2 eurohounds.