Any idea for sharer price for a lead-rein Shetland?

maya2008

Visit site
No chores would be required, pony is beyond perfect on the lead-rein and our hacking is fantastic year-round for a small person to enjoy the countryside while their parent walks with them (with the dog too if wanted). So… how much do you think would be a fair contribution? I will stick a card in the local newsagent/advertise on the local fb page to find someone. They can have whatever days they want as the Shetland has been outgrown by my kids. In the past for bigger ponies I have asked for £10 a day.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I don't charge for my mini shetland to go on toddler treks with little ones, she's a lovely lr for tots. Current parent brings me yummy cake every 3rd time instead ?

Sorry, probably not what you want to hear. Had mine been bigger and possibly go off lead, then I'd work out a std share agreement with spurious chores added, but on accepting payment for riding, you are then possibly subject to liabilities as are hiring out.

maya2008

Visit site
I don't charge for my mini shetland to go on toddler treks with little ones, she's a lovely lr for tots. Current parent brings me yummy cake every 3rd time instead ?

Sorry, probably not what you want to hear. Had mine been bigger and possibly go off lead, then I'd work out a std share agreement with spurious chores added, but on accepting payment for riding, you are then possibly subject to liabilities as are hiring out.

Hmm, so I should add chores you think? I could ask for a barrow of poo picking or weed pulling (depending on the time of year). There aren’t really many more chores than that as they all live out. She does go off lead but is more of a second pony in that situation. Could go to pony club/fancy dress/whatever shows if sharer’s parent wanted also. Last time I had sharers we checked with insurance and it was fine, they paid £10 a day as their contribution to overall costs of pony.

Kaylum

Visit site
I would ask for £10 a day. If they went to a riding school even for half an hour it would be at least £15. Hopefully they would want to help with basic care as its all part of learning.

maya2008

Visit site
Thanks all, last batch of sharers (when my kids were tiny tots) caught in, brushed, tacked up, rode, untacked and put away. I would loan out but I tried that and she’s home now with laminitis. She’s an older mare and I don’t really want to sell. So after the nice vet bill and the time in solitary is over, we’ll make a plan for the future that involves her here and ok, but still with a job to do and a contribution towards her keep. I part loaned a little Shetland for my son when he was 3 and we just rode, no chores. Basically used the shettie as a buggy I didn’t have to push while I walked the dog ?! Was basically thinking of offering the same now. It’s not easy to do chores with a preschooler in tow!

Would full loan from our yard too if anyone was interested, but I think finding a local family to come a few days a week would probably be more achievable. Will try at £10 per day once she’s better and see if I get any interest.