Any ideas- just ‘off’ food

holeymoley

Visit site
My chap came down with cellulitis due to a hidden nasty scab of mud fever early last week. He was given intravenous antibiotics for 2 days and then a 5 day course of oral anti biotics in powder form.

All was fine and heat and swelling left, mud fever cleared. On Saturday he left a lot of hay and some feed. I put the feed down to the anti biotics being in it and not particularly appetising chaff for breakfast(grass in the field is much better!) odd that he didn’t eat hay though. Sunday they were kept in due to the weather and he didn’t touch anything except have a few picks here and there. I managed to get hold of some bagged haylage so he nibbled at that for a little while but again hardly anything touched by Monday morning. He was still bright in himself, tummy making noises and no signs of colic. Poops were runny and smelly but had been since Thursday/Friday and put it down to the anti biotics. Monday I tried to get some protexin in to him and he had a little bit. I bought another bag of different haylage ,which he loves to entice him, but again just nibbles. I phoned the vet Monday morning to see whether this was likely to be side effects of the anti biotics, however I got told I’d receive a call back to go over symptoms etc. Which I didn’t. My vet has left for a new job so not too impressed. By Monday evening he had started to eat a bit better, I managed to get the protexin in to him. I ended up getting different chaff too just to entice him (he’s a laminitic so gets very low sugar, organic chaff). Poops have firmed up.

I’m just not convinced he’s himself though. He’s eating fine in the field(head down nibbling). Turned his nose up this evening to dinner then changed his mind and ate it. And gingerly tucked in to his hay tonight. He just doesn’t look right though. I’m now wondering if it could be his mouth? He’s due his annual check in April and always been an easy chap on that front. Could anti biotics cause mouth sores or anything? He won’t let me open without pulling away. I suppose that’s another sign. Happy to get the vet out but wondering if I’m missing something obvious. He’s generally an easy-keeper and not usually on anti biotics so wondering if this is normal in any way?

holeymoley

Visit site
The thing that put me off calling the vet back was that he picked up yesterday. He’s actually eating alright tonight, just a bit quieter than normal.

holeymoley

Visit site
And he’s also keen to eat grass while walking in hand.
Clutching at straws here hoping it’s nothing serious :(

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I had a Dales with a very bad guttural pouch infection that wouldn’t eat or drink at all during the active phase of the illness. He continued to refuse all food for a long time after the infection resolved and I thought I would have to have him pts. I was advised to try Balanced Show Mix as it was soft and sweet and that did the trick. I was at livery at that time and we also moved him from a quiet to busy part of the yard and that perked him up.

holeymoley

Visit site
Update:
This morning he's out grazing fine. He's eaten half a net of soaked hay, eaten the dry hay and left the horsehage. Eaten breakfast. Poops back to being normal. Hopefully it's just his tummy feeling a bit sensitive after the meds.

ihatework

Visit site
Update:
This morning he's out grazing fine. He's eaten half a net of soaked hay, eaten the dry hay and left the horsehage. Eaten breakfast. Poops back to being normal. Hopefully it's just his tummy feeling a bit sensitive after the meds.

It probably is just that, ABs do hit some hard. My big horse was hospitalised in the autumn for 10 days and was pumped full of ABs, he definitely was delicate in his tummy and became tucked up.

Protexin do syringe pastes so he had a week of that when he came home

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would take his temperature
and I think you will find it’s the medication it gives them gastric distress I would get a full course of protexin into him give a double dose of powder for six weeks .
Did he have any anti inflammatory drugs alongside the antibiotics if so they may have irritated an ulcer .

holeymoley

Visit site
I would take his temperature
and I think you will find it’s the medication it gives them gastric distress I would get a full course of protexin into him give a double dose of powder for six weeks .
Did he have any anti inflammatory drugs alongside the antibiotics if so they may have irritated an ulcer .

He had an intravenous dose of bute on the first day and I was given powdered bute to give him but he was neither up nor down with it so I didn't bother giving him any. He's quite stoic in that sense. I rather not put drugs into them. I've still being giving him Protexin in his dinners, I'll maybe buy another tub. I managed to get the Protexin quick fix syringe too on Tuesday but he'd picked up by then, so didn't bother with it, just the powder in feeds.

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
It was my lad!!!!!!!
He is on the road to recovery but it’s been touch and go!!! Please don’t ignore any not usual symptoms. My lad was extremely unwell

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
My lad was on a lot of bute and his food intake didn’t recover until the bute was reduced. Apparently a lot of bute can reduce appetite

Leandy

Visit site
Sounds as though he is picking up so I wouldn't worry so long as that trend continues. If he goes down hill again I would get the vet back. Grass is the most appetising thing you can give them so access to good grazing would be the best idea but appreciate you need to be careful with the laminitis. Agree to take his temperature to be on the safe side.

holeymoley

Visit site
Thanks guys, absolutely fine tonight, tucking in to hay as if he’s been starved for the week! Looking a bit ribby but to be expected as he’s hardly eaten. Back to his interested and cheeky self too. I left him knocking his treat ball around.

clairefeekerry1 I hope your lad picks up, sounds like he’s on the right track!