Any ideas on being involved with horses without formally sharing, please

Odyssey

Visit site
Unfortunately the horse I used to help look after, and ride, has been moved away from my area. I'm really missing being around horses. With covid restrictions (tier 2 in my area) and living on my own, I really need to get out somewhere different, preferably where there are people too. I'm struggling with the isolation. Unfortunately I'm no longer able to afford a formal sharing arrangement, and have health problems which mean I would have odd days that I wouldn't be able to attend to a horse, but would obviously inform the owner asap. In view of this I know nobody would want me as a sharer, but wonder if people ever want informal help with their horses, for one or two flexible afternoons a week. A little ride sometimes would be a bonus! I've shared 4 horses over about 10 years, so can do all routine jobs and have a reasonable knowledge of horse care/basic health, but am a novice rider/happy hacker as I haven't had lessons for about 30 years! I'm of mature years, ? sensible, responsible and easy to get on with. Unfortunately there aren't any local horse charities that take on volunteers, and the nearest RDA is too far away. Do you think there are owners who would like someone like me to help care for their horse/horses and possibly offer an occasional ride in return, or am I being unrealistic?

WandaMare

Visit site
Where are you based, someone on here might be able to put you in contact with an owner looking for some help.

I keep mine a home and have had 2 or 3 horses for many years. I ve often had people who have asked to come out hacking with me, help with yard chores and I've appreciated their help, so yes I think there are owners who don't necessarily need to have regular formal arrangements in place.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Do you have any horsey contacts at the moment? I do think arrangements like this exist, but usually you would only find them by word of mouth rather than them being formally advertised anywhere?

I would join any local horsey groups on facebook too, as you might be able to find something on there!

I definitely think these arrangements are out there, but they're more often between existing friends than strangers, unfortunately.

teddypops

Visit site
I would love it if you were near me, especially in the winter when the days are so short, so I’m sure there will be someone for you. I used to have a local girl come when she was free to help poo pick and muck out. When that was done I took her out on a hack. She loves it and I did as I had help with the chores and the exercising.

Tarragon

Visit site
Through word of mouth I once got a "job" exercising hunters. I used to go in my lunch break and they would have the horse already tacked up and ready to go, or even two if they wanted me to ride and lead. I got to ride some beautiful horses and they got their hunters exercised. No money changed hands and everyone was very happy with the situation.
That aside, I have always been happy to accommodate a young horse mad person who shows interest. I love to share my ponies.

Odyssey

Visit site
Thanks for your replies, it's encouraging to hear that I might be able to find someone who'd like some help. What a shame that those on here who'd like some help are probably many miles away. I'm in West Essex, the Epping Forest area.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thanks for your replies, it's encouraging to hear that I might be able to find someone who'd like some help. What a shame that those on here who'd like some help are probably many miles away. I'm in West Essex, the Epping Forest area.

I used to live and keep my horses in that area it's a lovely place to ride I live in Hertfordshire now so probably a bit far for you, is there not an rda at chigwell anymore?

If I can think of anyone I know round there that may want some help I will let you know, what is your riding experience?

J&S

Visit site
Is your local RDA group in operation? A lot of us oldies are not going any more so they are crying out for younger people to help. There are strict Covid rules in place for all goups. You would get horses and people in this environment and fulfillment.

Odyssey

Visit site
I used to live and keep my horses in that area it's a lovely place to ride I live in Hertfordshire now so probably a bit far for you, is there not an rda at chigwell anymore?

If I can think of anyone I know round there that may want some help I will let you know, what is your riding experience?

It is a lovely area to ride, with the forest and lots of pretty countryside. I hate the reputation that Essex has, which is so far from the reality. The only downside for me is that it's over populated, and the roads are too busy. It's a shame that you live in Herts, unless you're near Sawbridgeworth it would be too far, unfortunately.

The RDA in Chigwell is still there, but it's a good half hours drive, which is a bit further than I want to travel really. They have grooms to do the horse care, and I'm not able to run, so wouldn't be much use in lessons!

I'm a novice level happy hacker. I've ridden on and off for many years, on different types of horses, but am happiest on quiet large ponies, and smaller horses, though have ridden up to 16.2's. As long as they're well behaved and there's a decent mounting block ? I enjoy riding bigger horses too.

Last edited:

Odyssey

Visit site
I used to livery in Epping, sadly I’m too far away for you now. You could try putting a notice up in Eastwick Lodge. I once found a sharer that way.

That's a shame. Thanks for the idea, but unfortunately the tack shop in Eastwick Lodge closed last year. I loved that shop. Ingatestone Saddlery is the only tack shop left in the area now, and that's a bit of a trek.

Sir barnaby

Visit site
I have a young rider come whenever she’s free to ride Barney for me as I don’t always feel like riding and she gives him a good work out, I go with her on my bike so she’s not alone and it does me good to get more physical exercise. She used to have her own horse but due to work commitments couldn’t keep her so the situation suits us both.

Odyssey

Visit site
Is your local RDA group in operation? A lot of us oldies are not going any more so they are crying out for younger people to help. There are strict Covid rules in place for all goups. You would get horses and people in this environment and fulfillment.

Thanks, that's a great idea but unfortunately my nearest RDA is a good half hours drive away, which is a bit further than I really want to travel. Also I can't run, so wouldn't be much use for leading in a lesson. ?

Odyssey

Visit site
I have a young rider come whenever she’s free to ride Barney for me as I don’t always feel like riding and she gives him a good work out, I go with her on my bike so she’s not alone and it does me good to get more physical exercise. She used to have her own horse but due to work commitments couldn’t keep her so the situation suits us both.

That sounds like a great arrangement for you both. It's lovely that people let others enjoy riding their horses when they're unable to have their own. I'd love to find someone like you. ?

Odyssey

Visit site
I would love it if you were near me, especially in the winter when the days are so short, so I’m sure there will be someone for you. I used to have a local girl come when she was free to help poo pick and muck out. When that was done I took her out on a hack. She loves it and I did as I had help with the chores and the exercising.

I so wish you were near me, that would suit me down to the ground. I enjoy poo picking, I find it therapeutic. Perhaps I should advertise poo picking services! ?

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have friend who has been riding mine for several years now .
Hes a lot younger than me and it’s perfect for us both .
He hunts them as I like them to go and don’t want to do it myself goes to occasional clinic if it suits me ,hacks out, jumps them when I can’t .
He came with me to try Sky .
We have a lot of fun , he helps out if I am away and does jobs the days he comes to ride .
It’s a good arrangement for us both .

J&S

Visit site
There are very few riders who trot at RDA! However the horses do need to so that is why groups need able bodied riders too. Half an hours drive is nothing really and you would get so much out of the experience. Groups go to Regional and National Championships so there are many other experiences to be had via RDA.
Not trying to beat the drum here but I have had to give up because of age/virus etc and really miss it after 20 years of volunteering. It could be your turn now!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It is a lovely area to ride, with the forest and lots of pretty countryside. I hate the reputation that Essex has, which is so far from the reality. The only downside for me is that it's over populated, and the roads are too busy. It's a shame that you live in Herts, unless you're near Sawbridgeworth it would be too far, unfortunately.

The RDA in Chigwell is still there, but it's a good half hours drive, which is a bit further than I want to travel really. They have grooms to do the horse care, and I'm not able to run, so wouldn't be much use in lessons!

I'm a novice level happy hacker. I've ridden on and off for many years, on different types of horses, but am happiest on quiet large ponies, and smaller horses, though have ridden up to 16.2's. As long as they're well behaved and there's a decent mounting block ? I enjoy riding bigger horses too.

I am not near sawbridgeworth I am near st Albans, I would put a request on the regional board on here I found someone to help me a few years back, I would also put an advert on preloved I found a lovely rider when I was looking on there and she is still riding with me 4 years later.

I have a friend in Old Harlow she runs a yard there I could ask if she or any liveries need help.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Epping forest riders association are quite good they may know someone that needs help they also hold events so it's a chance to meet people, I know the people that run well if they still do it was some years back, they have a website so maybe drop them an email or give them a call they used to have a magazine I think.

Odyssey

Visit site
I am not near sawbridgeworth I am near st Albans, I would put a request on the regional board on here I found someone to help me a few years back, I would also put an advert on preloved I found a lovely rider when I was looking on there and she is still riding with me 4 years later.

I have a friend in Old Harlow she runs a yard there I could ask if she or any liveries need help.

Thanks for all your suggestions, they're very helpful. the regional boards on here, and EFRA are a good idea. I looked on Preloved and there are lots of people in the area looking for horses to share, but only two horses being offered for share, which was a bit discouraging. Not that long ago there were 5 or 6 owners looking for sharers, I'm not sure if that's down to covid, or if there are other reasons.

If you could speak to your friend who runs the yard in Old Harlow, that would be great thanks. ? Is that the polo yard? Likewise your friend in Havering Atte Bower. Ideally it would be within approx 6-7 miles of Epping in each direction.

Last edited: