Any ideas what this could be?

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Before anyone suggests getting the vet, he is coming this afternoon after work. My mare fell over about 3 or 4 weeks ago, she slipped on a concrete floor having a graze to her hock, she was sound afterwards. As a precaution I didn't ride her for a week and her physio she was meant to be having a couple of days later was delayed as we wanted to see if anything manifested afterwards which as it happened it didn't.... or we don't think it did.

Roll on a week and she was hacking out fine, at the weekend. The following week she hacked out on the Saturday and I took her out on my own on the sunday, usual ears forward and striding out, probably a 50 min light hack, with a couple of little trots of about 8 strides each time, perfectly sound on return to the yard. I rugged her on her return and put her in the stable. Later that day the physio was going to look her over as per her original appointment that we put off. When I put her headcollar on to lead her out for her walk and trot assessment with the physio she was very lame on her off fore. I was absolutely gobsmacked. So once again the physio was put off as there is no point giving physio to an acute injury. She had a bounding digital pulse on this leg.

The following day my physio watched her walked and trotted up and there was a vast improvement, the following day I trotted her up and she was better still and each day she got better and better until Thursday when the physio said she could do her physio which she did and found the horse sore on the neck (she has neck arthritis). The physio said I could ride on Sunday but when I got her out of the field she was crippled lame again although asking the staff, she had gone striding out that morning.

We have ruled out laminitis (after speaking to the vet on Sunday she felt is wasn't laminitis after the vast improvement throughout the week before on the same regime of turnout, etc). I don't see how it can be an abcess as it wouldn't disappear and come back again, if anything it would get steadily worse. I've ruled out any ligament problems having carried out a tendon test three times. Which only leaves the coffin joint which she's had medicated two years before.

Any ideas folks, just for fun (well not for my poor horse)? As I say I have the vet out later. Kind comments please, no nastiness.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Abscesses do come and go, sometimes, as the gunk moves around within the hoof. Sudden extreme lameness is very often caused by an abscess, so my first guess is that you have an abscess. I hope so, as that is the most easily sorted.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Hopefully it is something straight forward OP.

I have just dealt with a horse that presented slightly sore on the turn, sound on the straight ( near hind). The leg filled from just below the hock downwards through fetlock and into pastern. No pain on palpation but rock hard and no ligaments/tendons to be seen or felt. Nothing in foot and no heat.

Vet arrives, picks up the foot, said the bulb of the heel looked swollen and with a little pressure put on, a stream of pus shot out of the outside bulb. I felt a right pratt !

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Abscesses do come and go, sometimes, as the gunk moves around within the hoof. Sudden extreme lameness is very often caused by an abscess, so my first guess is that you have an abscess. I hope so, as that is the most easily sorted.
I never knew this. I thought abscesses just got steadily worse and worse until the horse was practically non weight bearing, it didn't know they could appear transient. They say you never stop learning with horses! :)

whiteflower

Visit site
Agree with others abscesses can do that, but also less likely, soft tissue in the foot can present intermittently with quick change from sound to lame

alibali

Visit site
Hopefully it is something straight forward OP.

I have just dealt with a horse that presented slightly sore on the turn, sound on the straight ( near hind). The leg filled from just below the hock downwards through fetlock and into pastern. No pain on palpation but rock hard and no ligaments/tendons to be seen or felt. Nothing in foot and no heat.

Vet arrives, picks up the foot, said the bulb of the heel looked swollen and with a little pressure put on, a stream of pus shot out of the outside bulb. I felt a right pratt !

But a very relieved pratt I'm sure..... Nothing like pus to confirm it's not more sinister!

irishdraft

Visit site
Abscess do definitely do this a friend had one rumble on for about 10 weeks on and off lame until it burst out of the coronet band .