any ideas?

serena2005

Visit site
sorry no pic, but my friend has brought this new horse which has a bit i have never seen before...

its like a loose ring snaffle, it single jointed with textured bars a normal loose ring and then another ring which is attached by slots in the bars which go in the horses mouth.

she has the cheek pieces on the ring through the slots and the reins on the normals loose rings.

what is this bit called? is it nice than a loose ring or harsher?

Enfys

Visit site
scourier-sm.gif

Is this it? Sounds like a Scorrier (aka Cornish snaffle) to me.

Enfys

Visit site
"The inside rings are attatched to the bridle, the reins to the outer rings
Much more direct effect of the rein
Rein pressure produces a squeezing action on the sides of the mouth through the inside rings
Mouthpiece has a rounded, serated edge
Good for horses that nothing will stop!
Available in size 5 1/2" only
Bit strength: very severe"

Taken from :
www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/index.php/cPath/153_194

serena2005

Visit site
very severe! blimey no wonder she doesnt work properly, she has a very light mouth on the flat but refuses to accept any rein contact, this explains it...

what would you recommend changing it to? she gets rather excited when jumping, but has an extremly light mouth on flat work. shes a 16.3hh irsh sports horse, heavy weight.

Peanot

Visit site
My advice is always the same when it comes to bits and new horses: Start from scratch, starting with a fench link loose ring and work your way up. A friend of mine has problem horses to re-train, and they usually always come with a bit that is too strong, so she always starts them with a mild bit and usually this is all that is needed with correct flatwork. I`m not saying that this is the case with your friends horse but try something simple as the saying goes.