Any lady riders with a indwelling foley/urethral catheter?

Polos

Visit site
Hello,

I was just wondering if there was any lady riders on here who ride with a Foley catheter/urethral catheter?

if so- how do you find it? Is it possible?

All the info I can find online is riding when ISC but due to my urological issues I cannot self cath ?

Unfortunately I failed my TWOC today and it looks like I will have to have a Foley catheter in long term. I’ve been told today that it has to stay in at the very least until I have an urgent outpatient appointment but that could still take weeks in this current covid climate. Unfortunately self cath isn’t an option for me and I’ve been told I’m ‘too young’ for SPC so I’m stuck with a foley for the foreseeable future.

i’m feeling so miserable and just want to go for a hack with a friend to cheer myself up ?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I can't help with your question, I'm afraid but just wanted to say how sorry I am, that you are in this position. There are a few of us trying to work out if we can ride because of health issues atm.

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I don't have personal experience, but I did help with a group of disabled riders, and one of them had a catheter. It wasn't RDA, and somehow I ended up in charge of the session. I was worried about the idea of a catheter, but it was a disabled holiday place, and the ethos was that people could make their own choices, and their own mistakes, if it were a mistake.

It was a fab place, the guests and helpers all went in the (on site) bar at night and made merry. Health and Safety nightmare, helping people to bed when all were worse for wear, but it seemed to work and was run by a charity who did the insurance.

The holiday makers had a good time.

All I can tell you was the lady went for a nice ride out, for about an hour, in totally unsuitable clothes, with a catheter, and lived to tell the tale. Drinking in the bar that night, happy as Larry.

She was also elderly and I am not sure she had ever ridden before.

In my defence, she did have a leader and walking companion!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I found this, if it helps, click on the text to see the whole thing

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Polos

Visit site
I don't have personal experience, but I did help with a group of disabled riders, and one of them had a catheter. It wasn't RDA, and somehow I ended up in charge of the session. I was worried about the idea of a catheter, but it was a disabled holiday place, and the ethos was that people could make their own choices, and their own mistakes, if it were a mistake.

It was a fab place, the guests and helpers all went in the (on site) bar at night and made merry. Health and Safety nightmare, helping people to bed when all were worse for wear, but it seemed to work and was run by a charity who did the insurance.

The holiday makers had a good time.

All I can tell you was the lady went for a nice ride out, for about an hour, in totally unsuitable clothes, with a catheter, and lived to tell the tale. Drinking in the bar that night, happy as Larry.

She was also elderly and I am not sure she had ever ridden before.

In my defence, she did have a leader and walking companion!

Ok that’s reassuring to know. I think if I did ride I’d stick to walk only (pony is not spooky on hacks so I wouldn’t have to worry about any sudden movements). Thankyou :)

ImmyS

Visit site
Hello - I am a nurse and do deal with catheters regularly I can’t see any harm in riding with a catheter other than making sure it is as secure and comfortable for yourself as possible. I would recommend using a G strap or similar round your thigh to secure the catheter and when riding use a flip/flow valve so that you don’t have to use a catheter bag. You should be able keep everything very secure using these and avoid any uncomfortable tugging! Sounds silly but I’d probably where a tight pair of men’s briefs to keep everything secure also!

https://www.coloplastcharter.co.uk/Charter/coloplast/simpla/urisheath-accessories/simpla-g-strap/

https://optimummedical.co.uk/produc...MI4tyAu8rD8AIVE9tRCh3vOAocEAAYAiAAEgInYfD_BwE

honetpot

Visit site

Nicnac

Visit site
Echo what @ImmyS said - flip flow valve so you can remove bag whilst riding and make sure the connectors are secure and not pulled too tight so, if you do trot/jump, you have some give.

There are quite a few para riders who compete catheterised including show jumping.

Sorry to hear but hopefully it's a short term solution.

Polos

Visit site
Hello - I am a nurse and do deal with catheters regularly I can’t see any harm in riding with a catheter other than making sure it is as secure and comfortable for yourself as possible. I would recommend using a G strap or similar round your thigh to secure the catheter and when riding use a flip/flow valve so that you don’t have to use a catheter bag. You should be able keep everything very secure using these and avoid any uncomfortable tugging! Sounds silly but I’d probably where a tight pair of men’s briefs to keep everything secure also!

https://www.coloplastcharter.co.uk/Charter/coloplast/simpla/urisheath-accessories/simpla-g-strap/

https://optimummedical.co.uk/produc...MI4tyAu8rD8AIVE9tRCh3vOAocEAAYAiAAEgInYfD_BwE

hello, I’ve currently got the flip valve tucked In my (big) knickers but I could try a g strap. I couldn’t get on with a leg bag so I moved to a flip flow quite quickly.
I wasn’t sure if cycling shorts under leggings would work but I can try men’s briefs too :)

Polos

Visit site
Not had a permanent catheter, but I have seen a lot of people who have, and what they do with them is nobodies business.
I assume you have a leg bag, depending on your local prescribing, some are neater than others, but your GP could prescribe something different, so it may be worth looking online for something more streamline.
https://products.coloplast.co.uk/coloplast/continence-care/conveen/conveen-active-leg-bag/

I don’t use a leg bag as I couldn’t get on with it at all ? I just didn’t find it very practical so moved to a flip flow after a day!

Polos

Visit site
Echo what @ImmyS said - flip flow valve so you can remove bag whilst riding and make sure the connectors are secure and not pulled too tight so, if you do trot/jump, you have some give.

There are quite a few para riders who compete catheterised including show jumping.

Sorry to hear but hopefully it's a short term solution.

I currently have a flip valve as I just couldn’t get on with a leg bag. I might try padded cycling shorts and see if that helps but I’m so desperate to ride after not riding for 3 weeks so I’ll do anything!

Unfortunately it will be a permanent solution until I can find someone that will do an SPC on me :(

Silver Clouds

Visit site
I don't have a personal experience of riding with a catheter, and I'm sorry you are having to deal with it, especially as you don't know how long the wait for surgery will be.

A couple of years ago I contacted BD with a disability/riding question (hospital was telling me I could never ride again post-surgery, I was looking for someone to say the opposite!) and they put me in touch with their para/RDA medical consultant (a doctor) via email, which was extremely kind and helpful (I wasn't even a BD member at the time).

I hope that you are able to find helpful advice that enables you to ride, and that you don't have to wait too long for the surgery.

Suzywongster

New User
Visit site
I realise I’m a few months late to when this was posted but it came up when I searched on google to ask the same question! When I learnt to ride years ago I had a foley cath and “suffered” the tugging because I wanted to ride that much (tight jodhpurs/breeches helped).

I have had an interesting few years since then where they’ve tried all sorts of other things, after I got sepsis, and have now gone back to a foley cath (awaiting an SPC at some point in the next 6-12 months…).

So I’m trying to figure it out again and work out if it’s just a case of “deal with it” or if there are solutions that don’t involve weird seat covers (brand new saddle that really doesn’t need any extra depth!) or cutting holes in the top of the saddle to make a “gap”!

Have you found anything that helps or have you managed to ride without it causing too many problems? My brain tells me it’s possible - watching the Olympic dressage makes me go “ouch” and makes me question how I’m going to manage ?