Any magic trick to eye drops?

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Our lovely Appy has uveitis. :( Vet has been to treat and we are giving bute and using Maxitrol eye drops until he returns tomorrow. Vet did the maxitrol earlier today whilst horse still slightly sedated and when I tried tonight it was almost impossible. He screwed his eye as tight shut as possible basically and made it very difficult, although I did manage to get a little bit in.

I'll need to do it again in the morning and don't suppose there is some magic trick? I understand it's best applied along the inside of the lower lid, at least that's as the vet showed me, but not sure what I can do if he won't open the eye up. He doesn't move his head or anything (admittedly he was distracted with a likit!) but I just physically couldn't get his eye open enough and don't want to hurt him.

Auslander

Visit site
Have you got help? I find it a lot easier with two people! One person uses both hands to pinch/roll the lower eyelid outwards, and the other puts the drops in.

Auslander

Visit site
We were actually 3 tonight, one holding and then two for the eye! But he just holds it shut so tight that we still didn't manage to do a very good job. :( I guess we just need to be firmer?

It's not easy! You do need to get a good chunk of eyelid skin between your fingers, so that he can't screw his eyes up! Think pinch and then fold outwards, rather than pushing the skin downwards. Gently but firmly!!

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Thanks, this is helpful. I guess I didn't want to pinch too firmly as his eye is so sore, but equally appreciate the drops need to get in there! I'll go in with this method in mind in the morning and see how I get on. Thank you. :)

eggs

Visit site
I had a mare with uveitis who had to have daily eye drops. Fortunately she didn't object but I did find that the only way was to not pussy foot around. If you are on your own put your thumb and index finger (which should be touching each other) along the eyelids, push down reasonably hard at the same time moving your thumb and finger apart whilst keeping the pressure on the skin. This should give you enough of a gap to get the drops in. Sorry this isn't a very clear explanation but I hope you get the idea. Basically the first go it your best shot as the more you try the more they screw their eyes up.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I had a mare with uveitis who had to have daily eye drops. Fortunately she didn't object but I did find that the only way was to not pussy foot around. If you are on your own put your thumb and index finger (which should be touching each other) along the eyelids, push down reasonably hard at the same time moving your thumb and finger apart whilst keeping the pressure on the skin. This should give you enough of a gap to get the drops in. Sorry this isn't a very clear explanation but I hope you get the idea. Basically the first go it your best shot as the more you try the more they screw their eyes up.

Thanks for this. This morning I tried by myself and it was much easier to get his eye actually open (it's more open and looking better generally today), but the Maxitrol is ointment rather than drops and this is my main issue now I think. As soon as I start applying the ointment to the lower lid he moves just enough to spoil my aim basically, which is understandable! If they were liquid drops then I think I would manage. :( I tried to be more businesslike today and not mess about as you suggest.

Vet is back mid-late afternoon and am hoping I managed to get at least a bit in last night and this morning.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
If the pony is as greedy as mine you can do it whilst they have a bucket of food on the floor :) Mine wouldnt lift his head out of the bucket if you let a rocket off behind him!! Its the only way I can properly brush his ears and have successfully put eye ointment in as well

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
If the pony is as greedy as mine you can do it whilst they have a bucket of food on the floor :) Mine wouldnt lift his head out of the bucket if you let a rocket off behind him!! Its the only way I can properly brush his ears and have successfully put eye ointment in as well

Thank you for the thoughts. I give him a likit and he doesn't move his head, he just either holds his eye shut so tight or lets me open it but then moves/pulls his eye shut as I'm applying the ointment (he moves just enough but doesn't pull his head away if you see what I mean). I know it must be sore and of course very uncomfortable so I can't really blame him.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I got a tip on here previously which I have since found to be invaluable. First thoroughly wash your hands, then squeeze ointment onto a finger and apply the ointment via a gentle stroking action. Enough seems to go that way, and it's easier on person and horse :).

Hope the uveitis settles soon.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I got a tip on here previously which I have since found to be invaluable. First thoroughly wash your hands, then squeeze ointment onto a finger and apply the ointment via a gentle stroking action. Enough seems to go that way, and it's easier on person and horse :).

Ooh, that is a good thought. Thank you very much!

And thanks for the good wishes... it really didn't look good yesterday but has improved today, so we wait for the vet's verdict this afternoon. Fingers crossed!

SEL

Visit site
Another Appy owner here - eye problems seem to come with the colouring.

Can you get one of your helpers to hold a large carrot (needs to be a big tough old carrot that the horse can't eat quickly!) down at floor level at a slight angle so the horse has to tilt its head to get the carrot? Then you have the poorly eye up towards you and you can kind of go downwards with the goo that the vet needs you to put in. No idea if that makes sense, but its how I avoided the giraffe impression last year when we had non stop conjunctivitis.

I've also found colloidal silver in a spray bottle to work miracles. With that you can spray the eye a couple of times and you don't need to worry about forcing it open - they kind of blink it in. It has antibacterial properties so I use it more for warding off anything, but it was recommended by the uveitis FB page. (I also use it on myself now!)

Fiona

Visit site

That's a great idea.

I used to apply chloramphenicol ointment to our headshy pony using a cotton pad (the non fluffy ones used for make up removal) but it does use a lot more ointment this way.

A finger would be more accurate.

Fiona

StableMum

Visit site
My daughter's mare seems to have the ability to regularly poke herself in the eye and trying to get drops in was a nightmare, in fact impossible. We tried everything and eventually it was suggested we twitch her. We absolutely hated the idea but if it was that or potentially loose an eye... Well it was a revelation, she accepts it with no problem at all and the endorphins take over almost immediately. It takes seconds to get the drops in, no stress, no battle and most of all no risk of poking her in the eye with the tube. The whole thing takes less that two minutes and she doesn't even realise that anything has happened.
We call it her happy place now!

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
The method the vet showed me yesterday worked amazingly well this morning, although it does involve treat training which I know is not for everyone. I am so relieved though! It took me a few minutes to train him to it but essentially it involves resting the ointment tube (still with the lid on) against the inner corner of his eye and giving him a treat as soon as he stops resisting. Once he is calm with that then can remove the lid and squeeze the ointment in at the same spot.

Took me about 5 minutes this morning to get him used to it and then I was able to get a good bit of ointment in without any fuss. I'll be doing this three times a day for a few weeks so hopefully he'll get used to it and it'll simply be a case of ointment in and then give him a carrot or something.

Thanks for all your advice. Hope all the other horses with eye issues are soon on the mend!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

We used that method when my mare got an ulcer on her eye - it worked a treat. We also had a more effective painkiller than bute, which atm I cannot for the life of me remember the name of.:eek:

We are on our 3rd Appy and have never had eye problems with them - it was the draft mare who had poked herself in the eye and made an ulcer.