Any non horse owners out there?

maggiestar

Visit site
Hi everyone, I don't have my own horse (sob!) so I go riding at Lee Valley in East London which is how I get my fix. Someday I hope to find a horse share but I need more practical experience first. Are there any other London riding school goers on the forum? Where do you ride? :)

ghostie

Visit site
This was me until a year ago :) I rode at Lee Valley, and also Aldborough Hall which I found cheaper with better schooled horses.

Have you thought about sharing? Loads of people around Loughton and Epping looking for sharers which is a cheaper way of getting more riding in :)

Umbongo

Visit site
MEEEE!!!

I have just moved from Somerset where I always had the offer of a free horse to ride, to North London! I haven't sat on a horse since September where I had an awful riding lesson up here! Have volunteered a few times at the RDA to get my horsey fix but it's just not the same....I feel like I could be forgetting how to ride soon enough!

I have been looking at shares but just can't afford most of them :(

ghostie

Visit site
In my experience shares in east London/Essex tend to be cheaper than north London and Herts. Going rate around Epping forest for a happy hacker seems to be about £15 a day

hamper05

Visit site
Yep! I used to go to a very large riding centre in NW Kent before getting my share :) Never really ventured over towards West/North London as I'm in the SE, so can't really say anything about them.

maggiestar

Visit site
Ghostie, I'd love to get a share someday. I was looking at some ads last week but am not sure if I've got the experience people seem to want. I used to be a working pupil back in the '90's but I'm 38 now so it's been a while!
Lee Valley is great but I tend to agree with you about some of the horses, lol!

maggiestar

Visit site
Umbongo, I feel your pain! It's so frustrating not being able to get more 'hands on' with the neds. I'm from Dorset originally and that was horsey heaven compared to East London. :(

arizonahoney

Visit site
Ghostie, I'd love to get a share someday. I was looking at some ads last week but am not sure if I've got the experience people seem to want. I used to be a working pupil back in the '90's but I'm 38 now so it's been a while!

I'm sure you could get a share, Maggiestar, as a responsible but slightly rusty adult!

I got back into horses...ummmm...four years ago. Tried the riding school thing, hated what it had become and then found a share on Gumtree of a slightly cowardly cob with a very supportive but hands-off owner (if that's not a contradiction in terms!) and since then it's been a very slippery slope into full ownership :eek::D

maggiestar

Visit site
Arizonahoney, that sounds like the perfect share partner! Was it your first share? It must have been an exciting time :) I might see if the stables have any refresher courses on offer so I can feel more prepared, then hopefully I can take the plunge...

arizonahoney

Visit site
Arizonahoney, that sounds like the perfect share partner! Was it your first share? It must have been an exciting time :)

Yes, it was... I mean, I'd had a couple of ponies of my own as a child, but my parents were not horsey, so the share was really the first chance I had to get out and do little shows and clinics and things regularly.

Forgive a couple of self-indulgent photos...

3635482327_5e3182daf2.jpg

Very early days

3636290912_5895768791.jpg

About to come a cropper at a show! :eek:

5036336535_8cdcf1afc8.jpg

Getting a bit less incompetent

5138982353_d0181420d8.jpg

And my first taste of hunting :D

If you're worried about lack of experience for the care and stable management side, try and go for a first share that is on part livery somewhere, so you can learn but not be wholly responsible for the horse's needs.

maggiestar

Visit site
Oh, what a handsome lad! Such a kind face. You look really good together...
Edited to add, that's a good idea about part livery. I really should start looking soon!

Last edited:

ghostie

Visit site
If you're worried about lack of experience for the care and stable management side, try and go for a first share that is on part livery somewhere, so you can learn but not be wholly responsible for the horse's needs.

agree with this - saw an add on preloved the other day for a share in Upshire where they just want someone to ride and groom and make a fuss of the horse, as jobs are done for you. Perfect for first taste of ownership if you're experienced enough to ride the horse :)

Karran

Visit site
Meeee!
I am on my second share, although am S E London. I do work toward Epping though and I'm sure I saw some out there when I started looking properly.
Check out the local facebook groups! That's how I found mine! I gave my last up in November due to work changing and didn't get another until start of Jan but if you keep looking there's some out there!

catxx

Visit site
Awww I wish I could share :( I'm in St Albans (sooo expensive) and commute into London for work so can't fit horses in. So upsetting! Can't even afford lessons at the mo.

maggiestar

Visit site
Awww I wish I could share :( I'm in St Albans (sooo expensive) and commute into London for work so can't fit horses in. So upsetting! Can't even afford lessons at the mo.
Oh, catxx I know exactly how awful that feels. There was a period of two years when I didn't even get within touching distance of a horse but eventually realised I need them in my life somehow. Is there no way you can get a riding lesson at the weekend? Some stables are keen for extra help and will let you ride for free in return for help around the yard...

catxx

Visit site
Oh, catxx I know exactly how awful that feels. There was a period of two years when I didn't even get within touching distance of a horse but eventually realised I need them in my life somehow. Is there no way you can get a riding lesson at the weekend? Some stables are keen for extra help and will let you ride for free in return for help around the yard...

Sadly lessons are pricey and a lot of the schools only do kiddy group lessons at the weekend. Had a half hearted ask about working for rides around but seems too many people have had the same idea.

Weekends are too short :(

Umbongo

Visit site
Wish more of you looking for shares were my side of London!! Kee looking for someone for my mare but because we dont have a school/she's getting on a bit noone wants to know :( where are all the happy hackers hiding?!

I am a happy hacker! Where abouts are you?

elliefiz

Visit site
ive got a horse looking for a sharer in Essex! Intermediate eventer, currently doing some lovely dressage work to go affliliated- been afraid to advertise in case i get loads of teenage girls wanting to come try him out! I have absolutely no time for him at the moment he is totally wasted, im paying a trainer to ride him :-(

catxx

Visit site
ive got a horse looking for a sharer in Essex! Intermediate eventer, currently doing some lovely dressage work to go affliliated- been afraid to advertise in case i get loads of teenage girls wanting to come try him out! I have absolutely no time for him at the moment he is totally wasted, im paying a trainer to ride him :-(

booooo! if only I was in Essex, I'd be all over this!