Any one use turn out hoods

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Saw a post yesterday about sizing for turn out hoods - I have been thinking about trying one to keep my skewbald clean.

She has very high withers and a deep chest, standard and full neck rugs all put pressure on her wither but I found the masta check tech half neck perferct for her - problem is her neck and mane are constantly filthy and I dont like to wash her too much in the winter.

Any thoughts on turn out hoods would be much appreciated before I splash my cash.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Tried snuggy hoods and other makes, best so far is the Shires - it has a full zip and is very stretchy (and only £19!)

However he hasn't had opportunity to rub yet, so not sure how it will stand up (its quite thin)

Zebedee

Visit site
I had a horse with similar conformation who also used to get rubbed by rugs on the withers. I solved the problem by gluing sponges on the inside of the rug either side of the wither area to lift the rug up & away from the withers. It may sound strange, but trust me it does work!!!

PS This method also works with neck covers to stop manes being rubbed away!

bellgave

Visit site
The genuine snuggy hoods are by far the best, they are warm, breathable, shower proof and hard wearing unlike a lot of cheaper imitations. You really get what you pay for and these hoods last a long time and are great!!!! you can contact them to ask about sizing etc. they are very helpful. the hoods come with or with out zips, with or with out ears, they never move, they are fantastic. I have tried to cut corners and have bought shires hoods and cheapo ones on ebay but nothing comes close to a real snuggy hood!!

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Thanks - i think I will give snuggy hoods a try. Sometimes you do have to spend more to get a good product. I tried loads of fly rugs and ended up buying a boett. I so wish I had just bought one to start with.