Any one where rockly didn't work also anyone who has experience with duplo shoes ? ta

Gryfiss

Visit site
Hiya I'm just wondering if anyone has been to rockley farm where it has not been successful.
I've got one horse that has been self trimming since June last year and is going amazing.
The second horse however has had ligament issues also bone brusing of the fetlock joint since April last year, she's had till Dec out in the field after reading the blogs/books etc I decided to see if she would naturally self trim in the field ( break off naturally obvs they didn't ?‍♀️ they just got long) so come Dec back at the vets they wanted to put shoes on which I did. Now on all fairness she looks better I'm not sure tho if it's the shoes or the fact her feet are now shorter or the fact they we're injected on the 30th of Dec to take the inflammation out. I really am not sold on shoes I would rather do the rockly thing but the vets have said she needs the shoes. I'm inclined to take the shoes off leave her till May with 3 weekly trims then see what she's like.

If she looks better maybe then start doing some conditioning work with her.
She was never actually foot sore without the shoes but they said it's the foot balance, previously the small amount of work she did to break her in she was barefoot that's where it throws me abit in to thinking maybe she does need shoes, so then I think maybe duplo shoes might be a compromise. When she was barefoot previously she did a fair amount of roadwork and was on six weekly trim my farried wouldnt do them more often but since changed farrier who I'm more than happy with.

So anyone with any experience with rockly duplo shoes or any thoughts in general she only 5 this year I just can't decide what the right thing is to do its all a grey area ?? thank you in advance.

Gryfiss

Visit site
Is there a reason you don't use boots when needed? I think you would be very lucky to have a horse self trim in a field in this country unless they were spending a good proportion of their time on an abrasive surface.
LOL I got that out of the book I think she wrote something like she'd know of horse on grass to self trim I think some of them do naturally break off but mines not one ?‍♀️ I did use boots previously but she is slightly pigeon toed they tend to twist them put pressure round the pastern on one side I did have gaiters in them too to stop them rubbing x

Gryfiss

Visit site
If you want to see more about Duplo shoes look up the FB page and website of the Farrier Mark Johnson. He no longer shoes in steel and only takes on barefoot horses but does use Duplo shoes with very good results.
thank you I follow his stuff that's where I've seen them plus the farrier used them on a couple of horses I know I do prefer them than shoes. X

Reacher

Visit site
So the vet wants shoes to correct foot balance ? I think if you are wanting to send to Rockley you need a vet’s referral and this vet might not be very supportive.
I guess the question is what in particular is the foot balance problem and can horse grow it’s feet to provide the support it needs.
There is a retired vet called John Stewart who is a hoof geek who might be willing to look at your xrays etc and advise best way forward
http://johnthebft.com

Gryfiss

Visit site
So the vet wants shoes to correct foot balance ? I think if you are wanting to send to Rockley you need a vet’s referral and this vet might not be very supportive.
I guess the question is what in particular is the foot balance problem and can horse grow it’s feet to provide the support it needs.
There is a retired vet called John Stewart who is a hoof geek who might be willing to look at your xrays etc and advise best way forward
http://johnthebft.com
Thanks for your reply my vet will refer me to rockly the problem being I am out of work now due to covid and would have to pay 50% of the cost of rockely as the insurance will only pay the rehab part not the looking after costs if that makes sense. To be honest even if I was working I'd struggle with that it works out around £1400 for me to pay.
I think I could do it myself but not sure it would work she has 7ml of sole I've had her on a supplement to correct the hay intake so don't belive it's diet just her make up tbx

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Re Rockley failures, I think if Rookley doesn't work the horse is most likely a write-off that no medication or shoes will fix. The only horse I personally had any dealings with that didn't return to work had a bone spur on the navicular and I would never attempt a rehab on another like it.

Long term some Rockley successes can be very difficult to keep sound, because of metabolic and/or work/turnout requirements.

Last edited:

Gryfiss

Visit site
Re Rookley failures, I think if Rookley doesn't work the horse is most likely a write-off that no medication or shoes will fix. The only horse I personally had any dealings with that didn't return to work had a bone spur on the navicular and I would never attempt a rehab on another like it.

Long term some Rockley successes can be very difficult to keep sound, because of metabolic and/or work/turnout requirements.
Thank you for your honest reply she doesn't have anything else know re feet I'm happy doing the work but just want to know really if some horses just can't do without shoes. I am really a barefooter at heart but then think I should look at both sides of the coin there's no point making her bare foot if it really doesn't work for her. I think it may be a trial and error job which takes time. I like the idea of duplos hate the metal shoes happy to boot if thT worked but that wouldn't work on a 24 7 basis. To me she was never actually foot sore even when she lost a shoe recently she was fine over the stones.
I'm just trying to get as much info as possible to work out whats the right thing to do x

soloequestrian

Visit site
If it's a foot balance issue, why would shoes make any difference at all? Surely just trimming the foot/feet regularly will give the same outcome - if you stick to 3-week trims that should be even better than a shoeing trim because they wouldn't be as often?

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Mark Johnson is brilliant, and you could get a second opinion from The Equine Documentalist too, he's doing some interesting work. More shod work than Mark I would imagine, but it's another take. I have heard of one or two coming back from Rockley in less than stellar condition in terms of weight (but we all know how many people think fat is healthy), I've been there and met Nic and seen how well they are fed, the set up etc.

Gryfiss

Visit site
If it's a foot balance issue, why would shoes make any difference at all? Surely just trimming the foot/feet regularly will give the same outcome - if you stick to 3-week trims that should be even better than a shoeing trim because they wouldn't be as often?
That's what I don't understand ?‍♀️ if someone would like to explain that'd be great ?

Gryfiss

Visit site
Mark Johnson is brilliant, and you could get a second opinion from The Equine Documentalist too, he's doing some interesting work. More shod work than Mark I would imagine, but it's another take. I have heard of one or two coming back from Rockley in less than stellar condition in terms of weight (but we all know how many people think fat is healthy), I've been there and met Nic and seen how well they are fed, the set up etc.
Thanks you I watch both of these on fb. I need to get the foot xrays so I could send them off. The equine documentalist looks more plates from what I can tell I think I prefer Mark Johnson but this is an uneducated perspective ?

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Thanks you I watch both of these on fb. I need to get the foot xrays so I could send them off. The equine documentalist looks more plates from what I can tell I think I prefer Mark Johnson but this is an uneducated perspective ?

I would recommend Mark in a heart beat, I'm not sure how much remote assessment he does, if he's offered then great, I know he's mostly East Midlands and normally has a very full book.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Mark has a wide area from Leicestershire down to Gloucestershire and is always busy but if you are anywhere near the region it would be worth asking for his help. He keeps my pony who has a foot imbalance completely sound when other Farriers crippled him.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Re Rookley failures, I think if Rookley doesn't work the horse is most likely a write-off that no medication or shoes will fix. The only horse I personally had any dealings with that didn't return to work had a bone spur on the navicular and I would never attempt a rehab on another like it.

I don't think this horse has actually been to Rockley but the OP is trying their best at home as insurance will only pay some of the cost and it's expensive.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Why would you need boots 24/7 if she is sound. You should only need them to ride where she is uncomfortable or not matching wear with growth and unless you are doing hard work rather than rehab should be able to find some that don't twist too badly. Regular trimming should keep the foot balance right and you can ask your farrier the best way to do it yourself between his visits.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thank you for your honest reply she doesn't have anything else know re feet I'm happy doing the work but just want to know really if some horses just can't do without shoes. I am really a barefooter at heart but then think I should look at both sides of the coin there's no point making her bare foot if it really doesn't work for her. I think it may be a trial and error job which takes time. I like the idea of duplos hate the metal shoes happy to boot if thT worked but that wouldn't work on a 24 7 basis. To me she was never actually foot sore even when she lost a shoe recently she was fine over the stones.
I'm just trying to get as much info as possible to work out whats the right thing to do x

The only horses I would say really can't do without shoes have an uncontrollable metabolic issue (commonest is probably advanced Cushings) or severely twisted legs.

There are, though, many horses that can't be managed barefoot with the facilities and/or time that is available. Many do badly without enough dry turnout/ on too rich grass/ with inconsistent work levels for example.

Lovethebeach

Visit site
My old mare had Duplos for 2.5 years, she suffered from CPL which affected horn production eventually when she was 24. Had no problems with them, they last really well, one set lasted 11 removes being done every 6 weeks and certainly she was very comfortable and sure footed in them - no slipping down our steep Devon lanes.

Gryfiss

Visit site
My old mare had Duplos for 2.5 years, she suffered from CPL which affected horn production eventually when she was 24. Had no problems with them, they last really well, one set lasted 11 removes being done every 6 weeks and certainly she was very comfortable and sure footed in them - no slipping down our steep Devon lanes.

Thanks for your reply I managed to speak to Mark Johnson I'm going to get a set on with the hopes of adventually transitioning her out of them fingers crossed xx