Any other horseless riders feel the same???

Umbongo

Visit site
ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I haven't ridden regularly for a very long time now and I feel so 'ARGHHHH'!!!

I can't afford my own. Saving up so I can comfortably afford a nice horse, and eventually transport so I can get out and do the things I want to do. OH and I are hoping on moving away and living together at some point in the next few months too.

I am 23, and have ridden for about 13 years, always loved being with horses. I love the hard slog and would happily muck out a yard of horses and not even get to ride one. I work 8am to 6pm, 5 days a week....but more often than not, 6 days a week. Have found it very hard to find a share due to the days/hours I have to work, and there don't seem to be any within a reasonable driving distance. Various friends horses are too old/injured/not available to ride/too far away etc.

I have had loan horses in the past when I was at college/uni and had a bit more time. I tried very hard to find a ride somewhere.....even just being with them would be brilliant! I had a few riding lessons before Christmas...however not been since due to the cost, difficulty in booking for after work etc

I finished uni and found it very hard to get a job, sort of fell into working in a shop...I feel very lucky to even have a job at the moment...I would love to jack it all in and go work on a yard, however without regular riding I do not feel confident enough to go and work on an event or hunting yard. The less I ride the more I start to get the 'what if this happens' niggles.

If I were a horse, I would be a very fizzed up horse that isn't allowed to go out and play for some reason....and needs a bloody good blast!

Doesn't help that I work in a tack shop, surrounded by lovely rugs with a staff discount and no use for it! Please tell me that I am not alone! :(

I have even started to play the lottery :O

FionaM12

Visit site
Where in the country are you? You might find someone here who'd welcome help and would let you exercise their horse(s) if you're competent and reliable? :)

JollyTall

Visit site
Nope you are not alone. I have worked in yards on off for 6 years or so but am now studying so I can qualify at a job which will allow me to own, I can't even afford lessons at the moment, just being patient.

Try volunteering at a rescue centre, it is a really valuble way to spend your horse-love and you might get some free rides in exchange for helping out.

Umbongo

Visit site
I live in Somerset. However it is difficult finding a share...due to my working hours, working 6 days a week and not a lot of daylight! Working in a tack shop I tend to hear from people that are looking for a rider in the area...but need a sharer for times/days they can't do...which are the times/days I also can't do :(

I am a quiet and confident rider and good with nervous/spooky horses!

Ho hum...one day!

Last edited:

Shay

Visit site
Ditto about your location - There are 2 on our yard looking to share which might suit. I know you said sharing didn't work - but that depends on the agreement. And the yard facilities - we have flood lit schools and poeple are often on yard before 8 or after 7. PM me if you want.

I sympathise with you about your lack of horses. I broke my back in a fall from mine some 6 years ago. For all sorts of reasons we sold him when I was told I would not ride again. To cut a long story short we now have 3 showjumpers belonging to my daughter. (Aged 12!) I am mobile (more or less) and I love being able to work them from the ground, lunge etc. Plus I have the perfect excuse to get out of mucking out! (And a VERY understanding Hubby who knew nothing about horses before this!)

SamanthaUK

Visit site
YES!! OMG I'm completely the same.
I am a novice rider though so I'm wanting something that'll teach me more! I can't afford my own or to loan/share.

It's sooo annoying seeing everyone else being like 'rode today' etc.. I feel like screaming!

Sorry *Rant over* :)

Capriole

Visit site
Its a shame youre so far away Umbongo, Id love to find a committed competent, experienced helper/rider, but its not easy :(

Captain Bridget

Visit site
You're not the only one. I'm horseless at the moment. Due to not having a proper/decent job I don't have money to find a share and if/when I get a decent job, finding a horse will have to wait until my hours are figured out. It's not pleasant, I use horses as my release and find I'm a lot more stressed without them.

JollyTall

Visit site
I agree there are a lot of horse owners out there who would be glad of some help with theirs ... I can never seem to find these people though :D

Always Henesy

Visit site
I would love someone to come and ride my boys. Or even someone to just give them a good scratch/groom and cuddles (my TB is very soppy)
I never get time to ride and I have 2 horses, but only 1 (very large) bottom.

Trouble is...I need experienced riders for my 2. I have a very loving, but quirky TB and a very loving but green Arab.

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
I'm with you. Sold my boy 4 years ago as oh starting his own business as we were really strapped financially. Shared a lovely boy but moved house and fell pregnant. My little girl is 9 months old and I've ridden once since I was 6 weeks pregnant. I've got limited childcare and my oh works long hours. Back to work soon too. I'd give my hind teeth to be able to share again but I just can't see myself fitting it in around work and the housework, dog and baby.

I've been looking into lessons on schoolmasters but I'm in the no-pay bit of my mat leave so have literally no money. The sad thing is the horse I used to ride had perfect owners. They were happy for me to ride only, as much or as little as I wanted and he was my dream horse. And their teenage daughter could babysit too, but it's too bloody far away!!!!!

Gggggrrrrrrr!!! I feel your pain.

Jx

Puzzles

Visit site
I haven't read all the replies so sorry if I repeat anything - but I REALLY empathise with yu! It really is agony :( Someone might really need a rider or someone to just lend a hand 1 day a week. You could volunteer at your local RDA or riding school, maybe? You could even charge a small fee to exercise people's horses, espec if there are any larger yards nearby.
Best of luck chin up & hang on in there. The time that you are not riding now is only time spent working towards when you can afford the time to care for & ride one again. :) Make the most of it by reading all you can, using this forum obsessively perhaps going to watch a few local shows or events etc.

Dexydoodle

Visit site
Whereabouts are you? Know a few people looking for sharers/ even someone to come and have the odd ride in exchange for giving owner a day off......

ETA: As in whereabouts in Somerset? My horse is in N Somerset..

Last edited:

Ladylina83

Visit site
I love my free sharer she is amazing !!

TBH she started off paying but then I changed some things ie yard and facilities etc and don't take money off her anymore. I just love having her around ! :)

Nats_uk

Visit site
I feel exactly the same. Had to sell my super horse a couple of years ago (after owning him 4 years) due to money issues.
last year I did get to ride my friend's horse for a couple of months but he had an accident out in the field and had to be put down
Am saving up to for a house deposit and also trying to clear off debt so cannot afford to buy or keep a horse. I just get so down about it some days - have even been known to have a little cry in the past when I get particularly down about it

asbo

Visit site
i have horses but none suitable for me to ride( retired and my childrens pony ),nor do i have the time.

bordermare

Visit site
Sorry to Hijack the thread but I'm looking for someone who needs some help riding out near Newcastle.

I'm looking on behalf of one of our students, she's on our Elite Athlete programme and is a talented young eventer. Being a student she has no transport here at uni so somewhere accessible by bus/train would be good.

Really good rider and I'd love her to ride mine but I live too far from Newcastle in the land of absolutely no public transport!

PM me if anyone is interested

PaddyMonty

Visit site
OP (and others) - HHO is your friend in this time of need.
Firstly, make sure your location is under your user name. Be as exact (town) as you can.
Second, put in your sig that you are looking for horses to help exercise school.
Third, you can be cheeky and do what I did. I started a thread asking if people thought others would be interested in having a horse schooled /exercised for free (see I wasn't advertising ;)). I just happened to put my my experience etc in the thread.
Lets just say i can now ride 7 days a week if I choose to. :D
You'd be amazed how many lurkers there are on this forum.

marmalade76

Visit site
Great advice, Juno.

I have found a couple of sharers on here as I often need help with exercising. Mine live out, so no work to do. Never ask for any money but will take if offered :D

My boy is off ATM recoving from an injury, but I might need some help again in the future.

gina2201

Visit site
I feel the same and in a similar boat to yours.

I work 6-2 (nice to have afternoons off I must admit but mornings are out!). My OH and I have just bought our first house together so I should be saving money when there are bits and bobs to spend on the house, and I am trying to start a business from home. I haven't ridden in over a year now. My friend took her horse back to Somerset when she finished Uni here so have nothing to ride!

Again, any horses that are "offered" are too far away reasonably speaking - thinking of fuel here!

I plan in the not so distant future that I/we shall get a horse and then down the line a second as my OH wants to learn to ride too.

Gwena

Visit site
Might it be a good idea to have a thread for people wanting a share and anyone with horses that need a bit of help can reply to them?
I am sort of in this situation but get my horsey fix with my daughters part loan at the moment - if she wasnt into riding I would def be on the look out to help somewhere...

marmalade76

Visit site
Might it be a good idea to have a thread for people wanting a share and anyone with horses that need a bit of help can reply to them?
I am sort of in this situation but get my horsey fix with my daughters part loan at the moment - if she wasnt into riding I would def be on the look out to help somewhere...

You'd probably need to be a bit more subtle than that as it would probably be classed as advertising, sadly.

oofadoofa

www.mearecourtequestrian.co.uk
OP where abouts in Somerset are you?

I am often looking for people to ride out, especially at weekends if they are happy to go out on their own (once I've seen them ride!) as I am often at shows with one horse at the weekend and it means that the ones left behind don't get ridden otherwise. I am in the Langport, Ilminster, Taunton triangle if that is any use to you?

rascal

Visit site
We have a horse not doing enough but after being very badly treated by one family who we let share our horses i would never let anyone else share them.
My daughter is riding a horse for someone else, she only rides him two days a week so they are out there, keep looking.