Any other ideas on why a backer won't tolerate a roller?

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
My sisters horse has had similar issues and a scan showed he had pulled/torn the ligaments between his vertebrae just behind his withers. Might be worth considering?

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
How did it go with the vet, Janet?

Ah - vet is tomorrow - but after today - not sure if I'll leave him on the list. I watched the girls working with him in the stable - and he was being a prat. But I suspected they were being just a bit TOO cautious. Can't blame them - no-one wants to be stomped on or kicked into the middle of next week. But he was interpreting this as: "What the hell is worrying them?" So I took over - sending them out. I can't swear I wasn't worried he'd stomp on me - my feet are giving me quite enough grief without that. But I'm obviously a better actress, lol! Lots of slappy-wappies, big voice, and the numnah was draped all over him (he didn't like it at first, but ...) Then surcingle - a bit loose but he knew it was there. They'd said they couldn't put reins over his head - so I draped a stirrup leather over his neck (oops - that frightened the wits out of him) - so did it up and pulled him around by it. After 10 minutes of this, I got one of the girls to take over and lead him to the manege - I can't walk fast enough. He lunged the best he's done so far before the numhah and surcingle started to slip - so took it off and went on without it. It MIGHT be a breakthrough.

I was reminded of a VERY frightened mare we had to back - 7 years ago. We persisted with 'normal' methods for weeks - getting nowhere - then got into 'desensitisation' with slappies! Within a few weeks she was riding. I think I'll take that road with the current problem horse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkemq9OKEsg

SusieT

Visit site
This is the second horse similar you've posted about - odd beahviour, not fitting in, very reactive/staff uncomfortable with them - is it possible some of your staff are not working correctly with these young horses?

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
This is the second horse similar you've posted about - odd beahviour, not fitting in, very reactive/staff uncomfortable with them - is it possible some of your staff are not working correctly with these young horses?

I'm absolutely sure they are, SusieT. The other horses is NOTHING like the problems this one has - and current staff have barely touched him! And - 2 odd-balls out of about 140 bred isn't bad!

DGIN

Visit site
Hi, I have been having similar problems with my youngster, a girth sleeve made a lot of difference with her and slowly slowly we are getting somewhere, might be worth a try?

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Hi, I have been having similar problems with my youngster, a girth sleeve made a lot of difference with her and slowly slowly we are getting somewhere, might be worth a try?

No - we had a lambswool sleeve on the roller - didn't make any difference. But we had another good day today - so took him off thevet list (there were too many on it anyway!) Tighter surcingle - no problem. So after he'd lunged well on both reins, we brought him back in and put the roller on. He DID kick out to start with - but the front end stayed put s- that's progress.

My theory now is that it IS ulcers - but he took longer than usual to respond to the Nexium because he'd already decided that rollers were BAD. Hopefully another week will see a big difference - but we'll be going very slowly.