Any other late starters out there?

Bex7

Visit site
Following on from posts about first ponies I got to thinking about how most people started their equine adventure as they were tiddlers and I wondered if there are many out there that never really got into it until they were older?

I loved horses as a kid, hacked out on holiday or for birthday treats and special occasions etc (4 daughters to raise, god bless my mad parents!) but only started lessons regularly in the last 2 years at the ripe old age of 27 and only got my first horse this Feb.

Anyone else a late starter and do you feel you have missed out?

x

Skhosu

Visit site
I started at 4, didn't get a pony until I'd 12 and really felt I'd missed out as people at PC had all been there since tots and could ride loads beter!
Otehr side of the fence is always greener!

Bex7

Visit site
smile.gif
I was at a show the other day and these tiny tots were flying round a 2'6" class on nutty ponies and I was too nervous to jump mine. I was old enough to be their mum!
LOLx

sojeph

Visit site
Had my first 2 horses on loan at 17 but didn't own my own till I was 29, then got another and another.... now I have 5 + one I'm looking after!

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
Hello
I started 12 years ago when I was 40... got fed up watching my wife & daughter in the freezing cold having their lessons so decided to join in & keep warm!!
Anyone beat that?
Now I have my own horse, and we are this years Departmental Individual TREC champions for Ain :))

Peter

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
By the way, it seems there are proportionally far more men taking up riding in France during the last few years then in Britain. Odd that, because it's a hobby that can be enjoyed by all sexes & ages...!!

_jetset_

Visit site
I always rode from being young at a riding school but like I said in my previous post, my Dad didn't want to buy me a horse no matter how much I begged as he wanted me to be responsible for it myself.

So in 2001 when I was 18 they finally bought me one. I still can't believe I have a horse of my own, I feel so lucky! She is the best present my parents have ever bought me!

And now I am thinking of getting another while Han is in foal...

I do wonder what I would be up to if I had a pony when I was younger, and I do wish I had the chance to do all the pony club camps and rallies. But I wouldn't swap Hannah for the world!

flohelf

Visit site
Well, seems the main difference between France and Britain is the number of female top class riders ! And yet as a passion (not a hobby !
wink.gif
) there many more women riding in France. But at top level, riding is male dominated and the French professional horse world sooo macho !
smirk.gif

Halfpass

Visit site
My OH started riding when we met 5 years ago. Until that point he had never even sat on a horse (even though his mum had one
confused.gif
). All he does now is go on and on and on about how he would love to be tiny enough to wizz aroung on a little pony. He is over 11 st so probaby never going to happen but his 15hh cob is not far off!!!!
laugh.gif

SueAllen

Visit site
A bit like others I did a fair bit of riding from small but never had my own pony - despite trying everything in my power to persuade my parents that I NEEDED one! Got my first horse at 40!! Now I find that I have the horse (at home too) but seem to lack a lot of riding ability and nerve that I know I would have had by the spadeful if I had been riding constantly from a tot.

In many ways I have a life that I would have never thought possible as a child - I hunt and have the hunt staff as friends, have a huge array of local events to travel too, my own transport to get there, a capable horse and the support and training of a fabulouse instructor but I still find myself wishing that I had been in the Pony Club and brought up with much more horse involvement. I think you need that to have any chance of being a really good rider.

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
Well, I'm a humble amateur rider, and when we do our TREC competitions, it's mainly for fun! Basically a cross between endurance and getting lost in the wilds with a compass, the main requirement is Not To Panic when you are all alone with your horse. Maybe there's a macho element in there somewhere?

The goal in pro Trotter racing, Polo etc. is to win for your sponser etc. so the poor horse is just an accessory in the deal and not your constant friend as it is ( or should be) for hobby riders.

I have observed that for "Randos" or other forms of trail riding in our area of France you often find equal numbers of men & women riders. Not the case for jumping lessons though which are still dominated by girls.

BTW, are there any Trec events in the UK?

Onyxia

Visit site
Was horse mad form the first time I saw one but diddnt get on anything more then a seaside donky untill I was 11.We were at a caravan site on holls and my oldest brother had a misrable time to pay for me to do the "own a pony week" at on site stables (bless him!).
Had the odd lesson (when long suffering oldest brother could afford them for me) untill I did work experiance at a riding school at 15, loved it and they offered me a job!!

Sadly I found out that RS work wasnt for me, I prefere horses to be my fun time not work but it taught me a lot and am gratefull for the opertunaty.

GDB

photobucket.com
I didnt ride til I was 38!!!
A very steep learing curve.. stage 1, Riding an Road Safety, lorry driving.. judging... and Im still on 39!!

The only prob I found, was I just wasnt as supple....but a fast learner and keen to do so.

H

pottamus

Visit site
Started riding at 11 and then stopped again at 16 due to family circumstances. Vowed to have a horse again one day and got my boy at long last at 29!

allijudd

Visit site
my mums twim sister always had horses but we lived so far away..out of all 7 cousins we all sat o the horses and werer led around from the moment we could walk...just not on a regular basis...i was the only one who would love it grinning every time whilst everone else would be crying....

i then went to college in scotland 70 miles away from aunty and started riding with her and having lessons....then i had a bad fall and ended up in traction so i stopped and did grounwork for years..then i decided to go to a college and earn an nvq at the ripe old age of 23...im now 31 and have my second horse....

wench

Visit site
i learnt to ride at 16 on relatives pony, which then broke down, so no more riding lessons until I could afford it myself at a riding school.

went on and off for 4 years or so, but then started going on a regular basis this time last year.

I'm quite a nervous rider, and getting put on different horses every week (altho i do realise its good for you) just wasnt helping me at all, as I got wound up on every new horse. So I decided that the best thing for me to do would be to buy a nice quiet one for me, so I could trust him.

Bought my boy in December (17hh TB, but hes the biggest donkey out!), and since then my riding has improved no end. Before I was scared to canter and jump, but my horse has given me so much more confidence than I had. I still dont like riding other horses out on fast hacks, but on my own is good.

Having said that tho, I wish I had learnt to ride and had a pony when I was little. I wouldnt be the big bag of nerves that I am now.

_jetset_

Visit site
This post is really interesting, as a lot of people feel the same way I do about missing out on the pony club bits... I also often wonder what sort of rider I would be now if I had my own horse from a young age. I am a confident and able rider now, but I have very high ambitions (I want to reach GP dressage eventually) and I sometimes wonder whether I will be unable to do this because I was a late starter...