Any petrolheads?

C1airey

Visit site
I need help with a different kind of horsepower!

I’m trying to sell my late mother’s house. In the shed/garage there’s a 1982 Toyota Celica. It’s been there a while, so probably not in the best nick. Is there a market for these? How do I go about getting rid of it? The house will be auctioned, so I’m half thinking of leaving it as part of the lot...

Wheels

Visit site
As with anything it depends on specs, mileage, condition etc.

You could try the celica owners club or use it to trade in against a car for yourself

DirectorFury

Visit site
If it's not rotten then you should have a lot of interest. I wouldn't even consider leaving it with the house! Is it a base model or something more special?

C1airey

Visit site
Genuinely haven’t a clue about trim/extras etc. It’s a coupe. It had under 29,000 miles on the clock when mum bought it in 1997 and it didn’t get used very much so I’d be surprised if it’s done more than 35,000 miles all told. I’ve got the little booklet bits that came with it, but they don’t tell me much about it, nor does the logbook ?‍♀️ Wouldn’t rule out it being rotten though.

All I can remember of it is that it’s silver and goes like stink. I was surprised when my brother said it was still in the shed, I thought (hoped) it had gone to giant scrapyard in the sky...

C1airey

Visit site
Classic cars, good shout.

IMO it’s fairly ugly, so classic car sites hadn’t occurred to me (surely they’re for beautiful vintage sporty things in red or racing green to be driven along country lanes by women en route to picnics in headscarves and leather gloves?).

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Classic cars, good shout.

IMO it’s fairly ugly, so classic car sites hadn’t occurred to me (surely they’re for beautiful vintage sporty things in red or racing green to be driven along country lanes by women en route to picnics in headscarves and leather gloves?).

Youd be surprised, anything old is now a classic car. If a Hillman Imp can make it onto classic car sites, I'm sure people out there have an equal affection for the Celica.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Ebay, classic car facebook pages or website, Pistonheads is great for advertising. I'd take some good photos & joing the Celica's owners club & someone on there will be able to help I'm sure. Good luck!

M1lbie

Visit site
Husband is serious petrolhead and says there’s a definite following for classic Japanese cars, suggests eBay if you’re not sure of the condition, definitely don’t leave it with the house. Also says no issue re 4 star

C1airey

Visit site
Thank you all. As usual, HHO is a mine of info. Encouraging that peeps think there’s a market for it. The house is going to auction in March, so I need it cleared by end Jan ready for viewings. Was panicking about shifting the car in time, as car and house are in Yorkshire and I’m 200+ miles away!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Thank you all. As usual, HHO is a mine of info. Encouraging that peeps think there’s a market for it. The house is going to auction in March, so I need it cleared by end Jan ready for viewings. Was panicking about shifting the car in time, as car and house are in Yorkshire and I’m 200+ miles away!
My DH says push car out, take copious photos inside and out, stick advert on Ebay and links to the ad on the various car sites already mentioned.
Dont bother starting it.
Push car back in again.
Stipulate buyer collects within 48 hours of auction finishing (so ideally best get it finished early afternoon on a Friday :)
Ought to get at least 500 if not more as spares or repair. Prices are a bit all over the place, you could be surprised, especially if it's the fully loaded one!

moosea

Visit site
I need help with a different kind of horsepower!

I’m trying to sell my late mother’s house. In the shed/garage there’s a 1982 Toyota Celica. It’s been there a while, so probably not in the best nick. Is there a market for these? How do I go about getting rid of it? The house will be auctioned, so I’m half thinking of leaving it as part of the lot...

Hi If you would like to pm me some pics and details I can help you out - My sister runs a Celica club :)

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
It depends massively on the model and condition. I'll ask my OH when he gets in, he's the one who loves Celicas in this house.

A car of that age is on the verge of being considered a "classic" or "collectible".

If yours has really low mileage (below 30,000 miles or so), I would expect it to fetch at least £8000, from looking at listings on car sale sites.

I drove my late father-in-law's Celica quite a lot; it was a fun car, good acceleration, roomy and comfortable (compared to the Citroën AX and Fiat Panda that I also drove around that time) but a bit thirsty.

C1airey

Visit site
I drove my late father-in-law's Celica quite a lot; it was a fun car, good acceleration, roomy and comfortable (compared to the Citroën AX and Fiat Panda that I also drove around that time) but a bit thirsty.

Mam kept it because it ALWAYS started. It cost too much to run to have as the everyday car, so we had a string of crappy, unreliable, fuel efficient cars and a Celica for emergencies. Mam logic. It drove me nuts but I miss her craziness now.

Ceifer

Visit site
My DH says push car out, take copious photos inside and out, stick advert on Ebay and links to the ad on the various car sites already mentioned.
Dont bother starting it.
Push car back in again.
Stipulate buyer collects within 48 hours of auction finishing (so ideally best get it finished early afternoon on a Friday :)
Ought to get at least 500 if not more as spares or repair. Prices are a bit all over the place, you could be surprised, especially if it's the fully loaded one!
Echo this.
whatever you do don’t start it up without a mechanic looking at it first. You could damage the engine.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Echo this.
whatever you do don’t start it up without a mechanic looking at it first. You could damage the engine.

Absolutely.

One of the things that can happen is that the engine oil can leak out or get contaminated with water, and not do its job of lubricating when you try to start it.

If you're going to push it outside to take photos, be very careful, too. Check over the tires carefully, and put a bit of air in them if they're under pressure; rolling on flat tires can damage the rims. It would be a good idea to inflate the tyres to the correct pressure and then wait 24 hours before measuring the pressure again, to see if there's a leak.

If the ground is on a slope, don't assume that the brakes will be enough to stop if from rolling away... even if the ground looks flat, it might not be, so put chocks to stop it rolling both forwards and backwards.