Any Recommendations For My Trip to Edinburgh?

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I am off to Edinburgh for a trip next week and was wondering whether anyone on here has an recommendations for things to do or places to go and eat?

I am staying in a hotel in EH3 and won't have a car but could hire one for a day. It's just me and OH.

Am super excited!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Don’t go..it’s full of COVID…..(whispers…Glasgow is nicer…honest)…

1f602.png
1f602.png
Glasgow is definitely on the list too, but we managed to get return flights for £12.50pp, so Edinburgh it is for this trip!
(I may or may not be trying to gear up OH for a potential move north of the border one day.... it between there and Southern Ireland)

adamntitch

Visit site
Depends what kinds of things you like to be honist eh3 is sort of central so be able to walk to most places or get the bus there are loads of buses and you can now pay by card as well on the bus

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
you can now pay by card as well on the bus
Oooh that's handy to know! Thank you.

We like most things really which isn't helpful I know, I think we might hire a car one day to trip to Pentland Hills and do some walking (weather dependent!) We also quite liked the look of Camera Obscura and Arthurs Seat. The plan is just to be typical tourists I think, for as much as Covid will allow us.

adamntitch

Visit site
Arthers seats nice I live right next to it you can also have a nosy at the palace and parlament as well as all are close together if you walk round arthers seat you will get amazing views of most of Edinburgh and beyond if your lucky enough there's otters living at the top pond as well

Puzzled

Visit site
Holyrood House and Britannia were my two favourite trips when we went in august, I’d definitely but those infront on the castle when it comes to doing a tour! Balmoral Hotel was lovely for food (if u fancy a treat). We took a lot of Uber taxis….cheap and very convenient. Enjoy!

EnduroRider

Visit site
We went Dec 2019 so things may have changed but... The dungeon is entertaining and I think you have to visit the castle whilst there. We at at The Outsider, Tower, and The Ivy and I would recommend them all.

ETA I've also heard great things about The Witchery and would like to eat there if I were to visit again.

holeymoley

Visit site
There’s a restaurant just down from the castle called Amber. It’s fantastic. I think it’s within the scottish whisky experience or round about there. There’s also the dungeons or mary king’s close if you like that kind of thing. Camera Obscura is good too apparently but I’ve never been.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
Dishoom is amazing! Really great food, especially breakfast!
Witchery has a great name, I haven't been yet though!
The Balmoral is a lovely place to visit. Afternoon tea is a highlight but would need booked well in advance!
Tom Kitchen has a great restaurant in Leith, but needs booked a long way in advance.
Rosslyn Chapel is just outside Edinburgh and again is supposed to be a great visit, I've not been!
The Johnny Walker Whisky Experience has not long opened in the old House of Fraser building. Huge and loads of food of you like whisky!

norolim

Visit site
Makars Mash Bar is delish and reasonably priced. For something a bit fancier, we went to New Chapter restaurant for my birthday which was lovely. Panda & Sons for a quirky speakeasy type cocktail bar.

If you don't mind typical touristy things you could visit Mary Kings Close, do a free walking tour, or there are a couple of fun ghosty walking tours in the evening around the old town and to the underground vaults which I thought were great ?. There's also the Edinburgh Gin Distillery for tours and gin tasting.

Hope you have an amazing time!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Oh wow, so many things to look into - thanks everyone!
We are already booked in for the mash bar, it looks great! OH likes food a lot, but 'fancy' food is sadly lost on him - he likes to balance the scale on price vs quantity so I save those trips for when me and mum go out :D I have just booked Dishoom too though, and Amber so thank you! Will definitely go to the castle!

Last edited:

saddlesore

Visit site
Don’t know what’s open atm but the dungeon is great as is the castle. The camera obscura and the illusions ‘museum’ is great, as is the museum of Scotland. The bus tours can be good too. The royal mile offers loads of historical walks and plague tours. The witchery is great for food ?