any suggestions please

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
my horse will shred a rug in minutes on or off his body, bless him!! therefore i cannot put leg pads on him as he would eat those off as well, any suggestions how i can leave these on him, i do have one of the hanibal lector masks which stops them eating things but hate headcollars in the stable, someone invent some non edible leg wear. he wears a nz at night over night rugs to stop the problem.. as for when he has a lick it someone try to tell him not to try to eat the holder as well!! dont worry i do feed my horse. thanks lol

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Sorry... not being horrid here but I didnt understand any of that post....
smirk.gif

What exactly are you asking?
confused.gif

JAK

Visit site
Sorry but what do you mean by 'leg pads' & why does he need these 'left on'?

Many people will disagree with me but in my experience, many horses shred their rugs because they are uncomfortable due to the fact that they don't fit well enough or are making the horse just too darned hot! Mine all like their rugs but I am very fussy about fit etc. & have never had a problem!
I can't imagine wearing a NZ overnight would be very comfy - what sort of rugs does he wear?

vic07

Visit site
we have a nz on one of ours who has a tendancy to wreck his clothing. The nz are so nice now I found they work well as a night rug and are that bit tougher for the thugs!

We think he takes them off cos he is too hot. So are very careful about how much he wears. But he seems to still be very tough on his clothes!

Tia

Visit site
I don't really understand exactly what you are saying but I get the gist of a couple of bits...I think.

Leg pads - leg straps? Take them off if he doesn't like them. Replace them with a fillet strap.

As to trying to rip the rug - the only time I have ever seen this happen is when the horse was too hot!! Take the rugs off him and perhaps he will be happy??

JAK

Visit site
Oh, I see, you mean nz as in 'modern turnout rug'? I thought the young lady meant New Zealand as in rock-hard, unbendable, old-fashioned sort of nz! God, I'm soooo stupid sometimes!
blush.gif
laugh.gif

ExRacers

Visit site
Just a thought but have the rugs etc been used on any other horse by any chance ? I used to have a warmblood which shredded every single rug I had as they had been used on my previous horse. Once I bought brand new ones he never did it again!!