Any suggestions regarding runny bum??

charlie55

Visit site
Shire x cob
had this problem since we bought him at 8 months old, now 2 and a half
Hes poos are sometimes firm, sometimes abit like cow pats
Its normally after hes poo'd he squirts down hes legs with watery poo
We have tried changing hes feed over and over again, hes condition doesnt change at all no matter what hes fed
He is also on pink powder now, no change either
We are on a worming programme with the vets and nothing has ever shown up/hes wormed when he should be/poo is checked, again nothing is showing up.
We really cannot think of what the problem can be, we are going to have bloods done just to see if anything shows up, cant really think of anything else to do!!

Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks for reading, any ideas we will be very grateful! x

Luci07

Visit site
My previous horse would do that if on Haylage or grazing was too rich. Put him onto Haylage balancer as was meant to better than Pink powder ( its Naf who make this as well)

Wilbur_Force

Visit site
Mine does this. Tried all sorts - Protexin (currently on this one), Biotal Equine Gold (pretty good), charcoal (did nothing) and NAF Haylage Balancer (very good). I vary it between Protexin and the NAF stuff. The flush of grass makes my boy get runny bum. Again, not so much the actual poo but lots of water.

Mine had scopes/rectal biopsies etc and they found nothing. Vet seems to think possible worm burden as a youngster and as a result he now struggles to reabsorb the water in the hind gut and therefore everything travels through wetter than it should do!

Hope that helps, it was very much trial and error for my boy :D

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
Do you feed hay or haylege? If I feed mine just haylege after a couple of days he gets a very squirty bum just as you describe. I can mix hay and haylege and he's fine. I think it's the water content in the haylege is just too much for some. I've tried a few different supplements over the years and whilst some help a little they don't dry him up totally! So now it's either just hay or mixed hay/haylege plus bucket feeds!

Last edited:

madhoss

Visit site
I second protexin. I use the daily gut balancer and the quick fix whenever moving fields/travelling/different batch of haylage. It's amazing stuff! However would still run some tests to check there's nothing else going on.