Any tips for darkening leather?

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
Good afternoon all,

I have just bought a nice new saddle (an as good as new Ideal International Event) on a very good deal. However... the reason I got a good deal is the colour! It's rather, um, tangoed!
blush.gif
Think Newmarket tan but a little brighter! According to Ideal it's "Ranch" colour.

My horse is a very dark bay and so it's a big contrast! However, the saddle fitted her very well and was comfy, so I'm trying not to be vain about it!
smirk.gif

I was hoping that someone on here would have a magic trick that they could share that would help me darken the leather without ruining it?
confused.gif

Thanks!

burtie

Visit site
Really dark olive oil is brilliant for darkening leather. It should take it down to a nice Havana if you can get it to soak in. Bear in mind though it will rub off on your jods for a while so no cream ones until a few uses while after applying.
grin.gif

burtie

Visit site
Yes definately start under the flap!! Once in it will permenantly change the colour so beware! Getting an even colour will take time and a lot of careful rubbing in on a whole saddle seat. You need a really nice soft cloth. I think I used a duster last time and that worked well and just gently rubbed it in in small circles.

Disclaimer - Burite takes no responsibilty for the colour the saddle goes
grin.gif
!! As TBH you can't really tell until you try
shocked.gif

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
Hmmmm.... I could maybe just keep going and going until it's all so dark you don't notice?!
crazy.gif

Will try under the flap and see how rubbish/ok I am at it and go from there!

Wish I could have afforded to buy new and get a proper colour! (apologies to all those who like orange saddles!)