Any tips for keeping shoes on (horse's not mine!)

Brummyrat

Visit site
As title really, Im at my wits end with my four year old. He's only been having fronts on since the Summer as Ive been doing more with him hacking wise and its quite stoney by us and he was feeling it. He's great with them on but almost every month or two he gets rid of one in the field. Tonight another one has gone west and although the field is quite muddy he even did it in the dry. My farrier said he can't understand it as nobody else is losing them. He has great feet so its not that, and I would take them off if it wasn't for the hacking. Problem is, he's playful in the field and loves the run up and down he fence game and I suspect that's the root of the problem. Farrier suggested overreach boots but Im not sure that would help, or would they? Has anyone got any ideas?

Thank you.

Brummyrat

Visit site
Toes (I think), he lost one before Christmas so farrier gave him rolled toes to try and make them last. Obviously that worked!!! I will try the overreaches though it can't do any harm so thanks for your replies.

benz

Visit site
Totally depends on the horse but things that have worked for me with different horses:

Barefoot diet to improve feet condition (I use hifi molasses free, linseed and equinatural)
A period without shoes and boots for hacking (although you need the patience of a saint for this approach)
Side clips to prevent twisting
Over reach boots (that fit properly)
Shoeing them 'tight'(disclaimer- but this can be detrimental in long term. If only a problem in winter and farrier unable to get out often enough could be a short term fix? Best to take advise from trusted farrier)

Good luck with it, I feel your pain!

Brummyrat

Visit site
Thanks everyone, oh and its good old electric fencing :-( livery yard's choice not mine. Benz his feet are in great nick and luckily, touch wood, he always loses his shoes cleanly. Ive had my farrier for years and he's great, he's been on the phone tonight and says he refuses to take them off saying he will work out a way to keep them on if it kills him! I have overreach boots so that'll be the first plan, then I may section his paddock off at the weekend when I can see what Im doing, to try and prevent him playing with his neighbour. It's particularly annoying because Id planned our first outing to do an Intro on Sunday, fingers crossed the farrier can find a window in his diary tomorrow!

rachk89

Visit site
My horse is also a nightmare for losing shoes. He gets over reach boots on for out in the field and for riding. The last farrier as well also put them on tighter at the back as I said to him that he manages to pull them off a lot (although they knew based on how often I had called them out). Those shoes are still on and he got them put on at the beginning of November.

Just to let people know incase people are outraged by that, he is getting new shoes on Monday. I thought another farrier had been out recently and done them, but he hadnt. Thing is too, his back hooves havent been trimmed since about August/September, yet I do keep getting farriers to check them and see if they need done, but they never do. Is that normal?

Kat

Visit site
Take his shoes off and use hoof boots for hacking on stony ground. £80 for a pair and they will last a year or more.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
My horse is also a nightmare for losing shoes. He gets over reach boots on for out in the field and for riding. The last farrier as well also put them on tighter at the back as I said to him that he manages to pull them off a lot (although they knew based on how often I had called them out). Those shoes are still on and he got them put on at the beginning of November.

Just to let people know incase people are outraged by that, he is getting new shoes on Monday. I thought another farrier had been out recently and done them, but he hadnt. Thing is too, his back hooves havent been trimmed since about August/September, yet I do keep getting farriers to check them and see if they need done, but they never do. Is that normal?

Farriers don't always need to look at feet to tell if he needs attention, but if you have asked, then they should do so, and show you why the feet are good. Not sure if that is what you mean by normal, it is perfectly natural for horses to be born with no shoes, and barefoot horses in work can be self trimming, in fact that is the ideal situation.
I feed good minerals all year round, and micronised linseed, more in winter, less in summer.
I would not be happy if the hoof was not growing [ needed shoes every 6 weeks]. I would find on good farrier and not chop and change unless they were both trained by the same farrier. When I changed farriers, my new guy phoned the previous one, and my horse had good feet though one had a slight twist due to neglect when young]

Last edited:

silv

Visit site
Definitely try overreach boot, also get the farrier to check the "break over point" incase your horse if pulling them off with his hind feet.