Any tips for shrinking a youngster?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Having started the year with grand plans of taking the “mini” ginge to his first show this summer, thanks to COVID the reality has ended up being that I’ve just left him in the field to be a baby with his mates.

Which was all fine and dandy, however what I didn’t factor in was just how big he’d be when I finally started doing stuff with him again :eek:

Instead of the smallish German WB I’d hoped for (16.1hh would have been the dream!) I seem to have grown a monster who at a little over 2yo I already can’t see over his butt or withers ? (I’m 5’4ish for reference).

Please tell me he’ll shrink in the rain or that there’s a ‘please stop growing’ dance I can do? Having relished having him since a weanling I’m starting to feel “the fear” ?

eggs

Visit site
I feel your pain. One of my homebred warmbloods was expected to make about 16.2 but I stopped measuring him when the stick read 17.2

Apart from digging a big hole and have him stand in it I can't really offer any more help!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I feel your pain. One of my homebred warmbloods was expected to make about 16.2 but I stopped measuring him when the stick read 17.2

Apart from digging a big hole and have him stand in it I can't really offer any more help!

He likes digging so that could definitely work, at least for general grooming/rugging purposes. I guess I could always just view him from a distance father ted stylee ?

But yeah it’s a bit of a bugger, mum is 16hh and dad is 17hh so I’d hoped we’d end up somewhere in the middle. I’m point blank refusing to put a stick to him so I can remain in denial a while longer.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Gosh, he looks very mature for a 2 year old doesn't he.

Tell me about it! He turned 2 at the end of March. I’ve had him since he was 7 months old so I’m in no doubt of his age, I’m just hoping that he might slow down on the growing front soon.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
The grass is always greener isn't it. For 2 years I worried mine wouldn't make 15hh (given size of his parents) now at 3.5 he's easily that - his head is huge and bum shot up again recently so now I've flipped 180 to keeping my fingers crossed he's going to stop.
We're never happy !

Ha so true! I always knew the chances of him ending up 16.1hh were slim, I just don’t think I’d prepared myself for if he ended up too much bigger. He’s a total sweetheart, so I’m hoping that attitude translates to how he is under saddle when the time comes. Will include your chap in my “please stop growing” dance ?

TheMule

Visit site
Tell me about it! He turned 2 at the end of March. I’ve had him since he was 7 months old so I’m in no doubt of his age, I’m just hoping that he might slow down on the growing front soon.

Usually if they're very mature at 2 they don’t grow too much more.....
Good luck!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm quite enjoying riding my fast-approaching 16.2 that was expected to just about make 15.2, but i don't envy you a horse that size when you are only 5ft 4 yourself ?‍♂️?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Usually if they're very mature at 2 they don’t grow too much more.....
Good luck!

Ah that gives me hope! I’m hoping come September he’ll have levelled out and then we’ll be done, but given he’s a WB I won’t hold my breath ??

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I'm quite enjoying riding my fast-approaching 16.2 that was expected to just about make 15.2, but i don't envy you a horse that size when you are only 5ft 4 yourself ?‍♂️?

He’s such a lovely person I’m hoping the size won’t matter.

Asha

Visit site
i can swop you for a tiddler of a Connie X ID ? ( renamed lunatic Lily)

She makes up in attitude for what she lacks in size. Hopefully yours is the reverse. ;)

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
I had the same problem with my sons - they were both tiddlers and I expected them to take after my side of the family who are all quite short. I looked up one day and realised they were both over 6 foot tall, similar to their sire. However, they cover the ground well, have good attitudes to work, are fairly trainable and are good weight carriers :D. Feeding them is the tricky part - one is a very good doer but the other tends to be on the lean side :eek:

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
i can swop you for a tiddler of a Connie X ID ? ( renamed lunatic Lily)

She makes up in attitude for what she lacks in size. Hopefully yours is the reverse. ;)

Haha sadly I’m biased towards ginger boys ?

Thankfully so far he seems like an old head on young shoulders type. The only time we’ve had any blips is when I’ve forgotten he’s not my older boy and done something stupid ?

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I’m the same ? when I bought my boy I was told would make 14.3hh he’s standing that just now at two ? still leggy and still To go out the way as well as he’s a D ?

I’m only 5.1 so 14.3hh Welsh d was perfect as my old boy was 14.3h and partbred and I felt good on him ?