Any tips for someone who has never plaited before....

Chumsmum

Visit site
Hopefully going hunting on Saturday and need to plait and have never done it before and probably wont get chance to practise either....

Any tips for easy plaiting - I presume bands will be okay, I'll probably pull most of them out trying to stay on
blush.gif

Thanks for any replies.

meandmyself

Visit site
Set aside lots of time!
smile.gif

Bands are a lot easier than thread.
smile.gif
Make sure you have enough, and some gel etc to make the mane sticky.
smile.gif
If the mane is thick, then take thinner sections (or the other way around!) Plait them as tight as you can cause they usually loosen a little as you roll them.

monica987

Visit site
Well. ..
Make sure you do the plaits all at the same height.
Make the plaits REALLY tight
When rolling them, fold in half, do one twist with the band then fold in half again and then put the rest of the bad round however many times needed
Forelocks are hard, get someone else to do it
tongue.gif
Orr if you have to do it yourself, you do a french plait down to the 'bottom' anmd then roll like you do the others
Dont wash the mane before or your hands will slip and you wont be able to get tight plaits
damp the mane very slightly before plaiting
laugh.gif

Hope this helps
Ellie

Chumsmum

Visit site
Great minds think alike
grin.gif

The two people that I could normally beg/pay/bribe to plait him probably can't on Saturday and it's about time I did it myself.... just not this Saturday
tongue.gif

mememe

Visit site
echo everything here really. esp plait them really tight and if u wet it before makes it much eaisier!

have fun! (hunting i mean not plaiting!
tongue.gif
)
grin.gif

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
in that case - lots of time, patience (and gin, if you have any...)

I section the hair first so I know the plaits will be even - usually use a mane comb's width of hair for each plait (unless the mane is very thick).

And, echo the others - make the plaits as tight as you possibly can.
laugh.gif
Good luck!

kerilli

Visit site
use a plastic clothes peg to hold the rest of the mane out of the way. do the first couple of cross-overs of plait as tight as you can, to keep it tidy. i use two bands per plait - one wound round and round the bottom of the plait. then fold the plait up twice (depends on length of plait, sometimes it can be doubled twice, sometimes not) and secure with another band. if you have a fidgety horse, using 2 bands per plait really makes sense, you won't lose the whole thing if he shifts around. hope it goes well!

suzyseymour

Visit site
I have just started plaiting too. Has taken ages to do, so last time I did it, I put the plaits in the evening before with out rolling them up, then just replaited the one that had fallen out and rolled up the plaits the day of the show.

As for the actual paiting process, I'm useless so not going to comment on that!!

lilpinkdonkey4

Visit site
I use bands and thread... band round the bottom ofthe plait. fold in half, sew out then in,fold in half again out then in out then in again! its quite hard to explain!!! but yes... TIGHT PLAITS are the way forward!

Chumsmum

Visit site
I've got some bands but will buy more just to be sure. I think I will just stick to the bands for this time but want to learn how to sew them in too.

The hunt secretary said they prefer that you plait but if weather was grotty not to worry too much about being smart - bring on the rain
tongue.gif

Thanks for tips everyone
smile.gif

loopyloop

Visit site
I used to groom for an international eventer and he never plaited forelocks (well I didn't plait them) as he said it made the horses look stupid!! Never came across that before but needless to say I've now lost the knack of plaiting forelocks!

L00bey

Visit site
the only tips i can think of is when you have done the plait (before rolling) fold the hair thats left at the bottom up so you sort of get a plait stub if you know what i mean!! Then roll...

am i the only one who doesnt mind plaiting, i find it rather theraputic
tongue.gif

meandmyself

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
the only tips i can think of is when you have done the plait (before rolling) fold the hair thats left at the bottom up so you sort of get a plait stub if you know what i mean!! Then roll...

am i the only one who doesnt mind plaiting, i find it rather theraputic
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I like it too!
smile.gif