Any tips for twins?

CBFan

Visit site
I've come across a post on a local FB group whereby their mare has had two live twins... a colt and a filly. Full term. - well two weeks early...

They are now a day old and the colt is struggling a little. He's the smallest one and is being bottle fed (formula I think) every 45 minutes or so, is wearing a dog rug to keep him warm.... is there anything else they can be doing for him?

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Probably not a lot. Two weeks 'early' is nothing for a single foal - for a twin it can be serious in terms of the proper development of organs - particularly the lungs. If they can nurse it through the first week, it probably will survive. Depending on how much money they want to spend, it would probably have the best chance in a good equine hospital - but they can run up a hell of a cost trying to keep them alive when there's NO chance.

CBFan

Visit site
Thanks JG... confirms what I thought... I guess all they can do is keep going as they are and keep fingers crossed. The filly is apparently bouncing round the stable so that's something at least :)

Queenbee

Visit site
Nothing useful or insightful to add, but can you keep us posted on how they do... Would be lovely to know.

CBFan

Visit site
Thank you for posting!

Everyone has been rooting for the little man and it seems to be paying off! Today he is up and wobbling 2 laps round his stable at a time, needs a little help to stand and has pretty bandy legs but hopefully, the more he does, the better they'll get :)

Keep your fingers crossed!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Do you think we could ask Kath if we can post a pic? It's so sweet how the siblings are snuggling up together! I see he's up but he's so little.

DW Team

Visit site
I know Bracken Spa Stud looked after twins if you want to know more Sally Lister might give you some ideas I gather it was hard work especially for the mare of course.